Coupe Concept

Discussion in 'MINI News and Articles' started by Nathan, Aug 25, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    #1 Nathan, Aug 25, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2009
    [​IMG]

Mini has unveiled this rather startling Coupe concept. It’s heading to Frankfurt next month, and on the evidence of these pictures, will be one of the show stars.

Happily, the whole concept of the car revolves around driving pleasure. Low weight and high power are the order of the day, and while the brand is calling it a prototype for now, we’d be mightily surprised if a version of the Mini Coupe doesn’t make it to production.

At the heart of the Coupe is the 1.6-litre turbo petrol engine from the John Cooper Works hot hatch, with an identical 208bhp and 192lb ft on tap (the latter climbing to 206lb ft via spells of overboost).

That car is manic enough, but with the lighter weight and lower centre of gravity (both achieved with that striking aluminium roof) on offer in the Coupe, as well as a host of potential chassis modifications, it should come close to being a proper sports car. It’ll remain front-engined and front-wheel drive, though.

You certainly won’t mistake it for anything else in the Mini range, or indeed any of its coupe rivals such as the Audi TT and Peugeot RCZ (which uses the same engine as the Coupe). While the car is still recognisably Mini – view it up to the window lines and it’s similar to the hatchback – the glasshouse and roof really stand out, making this the most daring new-age Mini yet. There’s some neat touches to distinguish it further from its siblings, with a body coloured grille (including the stripes) and colour inserts on the wheels as well as a trick rear diffuser.

Inside, the concept is pretty luxurious, with new additions including two Chronoswiss clocks that sit around the rev counter, one for taking lap times and the other displaying the time. There’s a small sniff of practicality, too - the tailgate opens at the rear spoiler, creating a hefty aperture.

The Mini Coupe concept is another leg of the car’s 50th birthday celebrations – there’s already been a big party, Silverstone’s Mini United – but this one has a bit more significance, the car being made public on August 26 2009, fifty years to the day since the first, classic incarnation of the car was first shown.

Click Me for lots more pictures of the Coupe Concept

2. Steve

Steve Administrator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator

Apr 23, 2009
    Maryland, USA
    Ratings:
    +3,166 / 0 / -0
    I like it!

3. Ryephile

Ryephile New Member

Apr 9, 2009
    Yes!
    Metro Detroit
    Ratings:
    +122 / 0 / -0
    I'm trying to like it, but it looks like the top got shrunk with a heat-gun. I'm just having a hard time seeing the balance and cohesion. Maybe I'm weird or need to see it in the flesh. :idea:

4. Bimmer Lite

Bimmer Lite New Member

May 5, 2009
    English/Journalism teacher and writer
    NJ
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I was hoping to see a new/redesigned interior. Oh well:sad:

- Marc

5. goaljnky

goaljnky New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    LaLaLand, Left Coast, Overpopulated and Underfunde
    Ratings:
    +394 / 0 / -0
    Ye, that top is just not doing it for me. Hard to say without actually sitting in it, but from the pics it looks like the greenhouse is not as open.

6. BThayer23

BThayer23 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Civil Engineer
    Durham, NC
    Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    It looks too much like a PT Cruiser convertible.

7. Steve

Steve Administrator

Apr 23, 2009
    Maryland, USA
    Ratings:
    +3,166 / 0 / -0
    I expect a few changes by the time it gets to production. What bugs me at this point is the shape of the top itself, esp. at the back. I think the wing/spoiler (whatever the right term) looks like a comb-over.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

I also dislike the way the top curls around the top of the door but then cuts sharply back and up from there; needs a bit of work there.

I like the concept though and just hope they'll clean it up a bit before they're done. If they fix the top, I can imagine some color/wheel/mod options that would make it look fantastic....well, in my eyes anyway.

8. goaljnky

goaljnky New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Ratings:
    +394 / 0 / -0
    #8 goaljnky, Aug 26, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2009
    I just realized what that top reminds me off. A bad toupee, or a baseball cap worn backwards. Neither one I am a fan of. But as a thought, it would look stunning in a targa top, or a convertible.

9. BThayer23

BThayer23 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Civil Engineer
    Durham, NC
    Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    Why does that rear window have to be so vertical? Couldn't they just slope it back, like a fastback? The trunk deck looks awkward, too short to look good (like an S2000) and too sharp to look elegant (like the R52).

Whatever they're trying to do with this new MINI coupe, I'm not sure it could look better than the new (2006+) Audi TT.

[​IMG]

10. Steve

Steve Administrator

Apr 23, 2009
    Maryland, USA
    Ratings:
    +3,166 / 0 / -0
    They've eliminated the 4x4 gap....hopefully this makes it all the way to production.

[​IMG]

11. goaljnky

goaljnky New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Ratings:
    +394 / 0 / -0
    If and when it does I will bet it will come with the gap.

12. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Video of Coupe

[ame=http://vimeo.com/6281679]MINI Coupé Official Footage on Vimeo[/ame]

13. MCSvelocity

MCSvelocity New Member

May 6, 2009
    Alameda (Bay Area) CA
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i'm sure they would have a black option for the roof just like the rest of the cars. black roof with tinted windows would look sick imo coming down the road. but even better... cf roof ftw!

14. lotsie

lotsie Club Coordinator

May 5, 2009
    stagehand/part time detailer
    Right here
    Ratings:
    +401 / 0 / -0
    I thought it had a lot of slope, well for a MINI.

I like the concept, but agree the roof lines need a bit of work.

Mark

15. M^Cubed

M^Cubed Member

May 24, 2009
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    Like it has been said already, it looks like a bad toupee - or a mullet!

16. Octaneguy

Octaneguy New Member

Apr 24, 2009
    Dream job
    Anaheim, CA
    Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    I didn't like it when I first saw it, but showing it to some of my car friends that aren't MINI enthusiasts, they remarked that it looked better than the TT, lol. Upon first sight, it just looked like they kept everything below the window line as a stock R56 and added new glass..like taking an R56 to a shop and chopping it to make the coupe. Anyways, I think it has potential especially if they can bring it in right price range.

17. Ryephile

Ryephile New Member

Apr 9, 2009
    Yes!
    Metro Detroit
    Ratings:
    +122 / 0 / -0
    Perhaps they've listened to the horror that is the R56 wheel gap? :eek:ut: I almost had a heart attack when I first saw how ridiculous the R56 wheel gap was. See how much nicer it looks when it's neat and tidy!? The MINI isn't a full size truck where I'd expect and want some big beefy wheel gap.

18. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    White Roof Radio did a special talking about the concept, even naming it the Coopster. I'm thinking this will make a fun Track Day car. R56 power with a lower CG and lower weight. WRR predicts a spring 2011 release. I'm calling my local dealer to see about putting a small deposit down to get on the list.

MotoringFile Archive WRR Special: The MINI Coopster

19. Bimmer Lite

Bimmer Lite New Member

May 5, 2009
    English/Journalism teacher and writer
    NJ
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Love the idea of this. Love the philosophy behind it: let's give MINI owners a more sporting option. Not sure I love the design, although I'll reserve judgment until I see it in the flesh. Positive I don't love the interior - until they change that, this car can't be on my "list."

- Marc

20. COOP310

COOP310 New Member

May 12, 2009
    Lake Mary, FL
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I admit that I am not the best at photoshop, but I thought that I would give the speedster a shot based on what the coupe looks like.

[​IMG]