1st Gen R53 Cooper S Crack in valve cover (long)

Discussion in '1st Generation: 2002–06 R50, R53 & 2004–08 R52' started by Mr. Jim, Mar 18, 2011.

1. Mr. Jim

Mr. Jim Mudshark
    Lifetime Supporter

May 22, 2010
    North Carolina
    Ratings:
    +1,221 / 0 / -0
    So I have this pesky oil leak that I thought was the valve cover gasket. I had it changed under warranty while in for other work last September. The leak reappeared and I thought it was coming from the coil mounting holes on valve cover, so i sealed them. Tonight I was installing the temp sensor adapter for the water temp gauge and I noticed part of the firewall was wet. More oil!

I pulled off the coil to check and it was dry. That's when I noticed a crack on the side of cover just below coil mount. I cleaned the crack with prep-solv and scuffed it up and epoxied the crack. Has anyone had luck with the epoxy or am I looking for a valve cover?

2. minimark

minimark Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
    Is it still under warranty?

3. Mr. Jim

Mr. Jim Mudshark
    Lifetime Supporter

May 22, 2010
    North Carolina
    Ratings:
    +1,221 / 0 / -0
    Nope, expired in September.

4. minimark

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
    Dang...the epoxy might hold up a while but if it were mine, I would only consider it a temporary fix until I found a new or good condition used cover.... 2cents.

5. Mr. Jim

Mr. Jim Mudshark
    Lifetime Supporter

May 22, 2010
    North Carolina
    Ratings:
    +1,221 / 0 / -0
    Yea that's what I'm thinking too. I mean it could last a real long time but that thought in the back of my mind that it could blow out at any point doesn't sit well.

6. Jason Montague

Jason Montague New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Jan 5, 2010
    Physician Assitant (retired)
    Sherman,Tx
    Ratings:
    +1,588 / 0 / -0
    :cornut: Yeh, unfortunately, I agree. Think about harmonic vibration and how the epoxy/crack/bond are different in density from the valve cover. The vibration frequency is changed at the crack due to the change in density. It will separate/crack again. When? Don't know.:mad2:

Jason:popcorn::popcorn:

7. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    Any idea what caused the crack in the first place? Might want to determine this before you buy a replacement?

Sent from Arrakis, while harvesting spice, using Tapatalk when no one was looking.

8. Mr. Jim

Mr. Jim Mudshark
    Lifetime Supporter

May 22, 2010
    North Carolina
    Ratings:
    +1,221 / 0 / -0
    Yep, I believe it was when installing the MSD coil pack last year. I ran a google search and found another poor soul who had the same problem when he installed his :cryin: So either the bolts that where supplied with the kit where too long, or I don't know my own strength, of this crap could happen anytime the coil pack is replaced :incazzato: Perhaps there is a TSB on it???

BTW, already sourced a replacement :Thumbsup:

9. Gil-galad

Gil-galad Club Coordinator

May 19, 2009
    Male
    Decorah, IA
    Ratings:
    +435 / 0 / -0
    I've also seen a few reported cases over on the sewing site of valve covers cracking when installing a new coil. I happened to stumble across those posts prior to my installation of an MSD coil on my old '05 MINI so I went into that swap with eye wide open.

The 8 cushioned OEM grommets on both ends of the bolts didn't seem to mesh very well with the new MSD coil (and I didn't see anything in the instructions on re-use) and I had two of them break apart as I was torquing down the bolts -- probably due to their age. Figuring having something in there was better than nothing, I ended up using a a couple from the top to put underneath between the coil and the mount, and picked up some properly sized O-rings at the local hardware store to use on the top of the bolts. I then used a bit of blue Loc-tite on the bolts and torqued them down to a bit less than spec. The OEM grommets under the base of the coil still "squished out" and deformed a little, but stayed together enough to perform their intended function.

Glad you found a replacement cover.

10. Mr. Jim

Mr. Jim Mudshark
    Lifetime Supporter

May 22, 2010
    North Carolina
    Ratings:
    +1,221 / 0 / -0
    Got the cover yesterday and installed last night. This is what I observed, the bolts when used with the MSD are TOO LONG! Even the ones that are supplied from MM. You have to have some type of spacer/rubber washer and/or shorter bolts. Once they get tight they are in fact bottoming out, and when you tighten a little more you crack the cover.

I'll take a picture tonight for illustration.

11. Eric@Helix

Eric@Helix New Member
    Motoring Alliance Founding Sponsor

May 4, 2009
    Shepherd
    Philadelphia
    Ratings:
    +1,257 / 0 / -0
    Yup. Not only does that 'performance part' yield no performance whatsoever, they include faulty hardware which will, if you're not careful, cause the cover to crack. even if you don't torque the bolts down, the provided O rings squeeze out the side of the bolt. Most unprofessional.

12. Mr. Jim

Mr. Jim Mudshark
    Lifetime Supporter

May 22, 2010
    North Carolina
    Ratings:
    +1,221 / 0 / -0
    Absolutely! The only plus I see is the copper ends on the coil, that is why I purchased it, cause of that damn #3 terminal. In hindsight, it would have been cheaper to replace the OEM coil!

13. minimark

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
    .....and paint it red. LOL

14. Mr. Jim

Mr. Jim Mudshark
    Lifetime Supporter

May 22, 2010
    North Carolina
    Ratings:
    +1,221 / 0 / -0
    Werd, lol

15. Justa Jim

Justa Jim Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    Glad it all worked out Jimbo and all is now well. :Thumbsup:

Jim

16. Mr. Jim

Mr. Jim Mudshark
    Lifetime Supporter

May 22, 2010
    North Carolina
    Ratings:
    +1,221 / 0 / -0
    Well now I need to know what kind of adhiesive tape to attach John Cooper Works emblem on valve cover? I know it must withstand the heat, but what to use? I was able to get the emblem off using a hair dryer.

HELP
    :idea: