Brakes Wheels 1st Gen Tires Most liked posts in thread: Creaking from rear caliper

1. cct1

cct1 Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,369 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, check and make sure the rear pads are clipped on properly, especially if they're seizing at all. Just had this problem myself.

2. Aeromax

Aeromax New Member

Jul 24, 2009
    Graphic designer
    Trumbull, CT
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    What's a good way to see if the caliper is seizing? Knowing how much trouble I had doing the rear pads when I changed them a couple years ago, it's entirely possible they're not clipped on properly. :lol: Although this sound I'm hearing is not a 2 year-old sound.

3. cct1

cct1 Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,369 / 0 / -0
    Best way is to jack up the car, see if you can spin the rear wheel easily. Mine was so bad I could barely turn it on one side, not quite so bad on the other side. That's what I get for letting a shop do my brake work (had them change to my track pads when I had coilovers installed), usually I do it all myself...

Best way to clip the calipers on is to slide them on the piston from the top, they pop on with no problem. It may seem obvious, but I've seen more than one person try to slide them in from the sides at the track (and have gotten a few thanks after showing them the top down method), and although you can do it this way on maybe your 1 millionth attempt, the way to do it is from above, it's the only way IMHO to guarantee all three clips are engaged properly on the piston.

4. Aeromax

Aeromax New Member

Jul 24, 2009
    Graphic designer
    Trumbull, CT
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    you can slide them in with the caliper mounted with the rotor in place?

5. cct1

cct1 Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,369 / 0 / -0
    Yes, the rotor stays in place. The rear caliper is a two piece caliper. So you take it apart (the inner piece with the piston stays on, the outer piece comes off except for the lines--don't let it dangle on the line, support it by either hooking it onto something on the car with a coat hanger or by setting something underneath it--that's what I do--you just don't want it hanging there, there is a nice DIY on NAM), leave the rotor in place, compress the piston, then slide the pad with the clips onto the piston from the top. The other pad won't have any clips and simply slides into the floating caliper (the outside one without the piston), reassemble and you're out of there.

6. Aeromax

Aeromax New Member

Jul 24, 2009
    Graphic designer
    Trumbull, CT
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    OK I knew all that. :lol: I just thought you meant you could slide the pads on and off without removing the caliper at all. I've seen that done on an old Saab.

7. cct1

cct1 Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,369 / 0 / -0
    Oh, sorry--all I saw was "rotor in place"; missed the caliper mounted part. That's what old age will do to you...