2. Jason Montague

Jason Montague New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Jan 5, 2010
    Physician Assitant (retired)
    Sherman,Tx
    Ratings:
    +1,588 / 0 / -0
    :cornut: I'm not educated as to racing rules and sanctioning bodies but, how about a Formula MINI and of course y'all make the rules and classes. It'll be small enough that the 'big guys' won't try to muscle in and take over. Just thinking out loud......................................:Thumbsup:

Jason

3. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
  4. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    Well I like the Way-back machine. I'm getting old.
    Frist I think money is what ruins the sport. Look at F1 vs WRC. WRC seems more pure to me. The drivers have to work on the car, the teams get along better, and the atmosphere is more relaxed. Go to a F1 race, you cant get near the pits, the drivers can act like prima donnas, and all the teams seem up-tight.
    When Kimi Räikkönen went to WRC a motor sports journalist said "Kimi didn't quit racing he went back to the source" How true.
    Also I like GT racing its fun to watch a car you can buy out racing. Win on Sunday sale on Monday.
    For open wheel. Limited budget, limited rules, No Bernie Ecclestone.

For the rest of racing NO GREEN CRAP STUFFED DOWN MY THROAT. "ALMS" thats why I quit watching. If you think your Prius can win bring it. This is racing not a love fest.
    I'm not downing the Green movement so please understand It has its place but not at the track.

One last thing. I'm not a NASCAR fan but I see why people like it. They have done some stuff right. The other Formulas could learn from them.

5. mrntd

mrntd Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Sep 30, 2011
    Male
    Sales and Marketing manager
    Hilliard, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +1,763 / 0 / -0
    I agree. I like GT racing more, but still like the innovation from the old days. I love going to Mid Ohio you can right into the garages, down on the pits, out to the grid, and meet the drivers. At the F1 race you could never do that unless you had big bucks.

I think the lemons, not LeMons, races are interesting. I would love to go see one. They have a shoe string budget and can do just about anything to the cars.

6. Zapski

Zapski Well-Known Member

May 4, 2011
    Columbus, OH
    Ratings:
    +938 / 0 / -0
    I would like to see a sport that's more like the early days of Grand Prix driving, with "garagistas" and the like. The problem with that is figuring out how to do so without the insane fatality rates of the early days of the sport.

Some of that has been dealt with by the way tracks are designed now, but some of that is in the car materials, kevlar gas tanks and such.

Maybe the sport sponsors could supply puncture proof gas tanks, tires, and oversee crash tests, but leave the rest to a fairly loose set of rules. Build the fastest thing you can with what you've got, as long as it passes basic safety tests. Maybe limit sponsor involvement to venues and races rather than to teams?

Speaking of rules, I'd really like to ban the "ban whatever innovation is successful" rule. That's the biggest problem I see. That's been going on for decades though, with skirts being banned, blown diffusers, etc. Though I can understand the fan car's banning, that thing was just dangerous to the drivers behind it (it would scoop up debris and fire it gun-like into the face of the tailing car).

7. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    Just remember......most "banned" innovations were banned because of cost or safety. I can't see any series being successful with a formula that allows unrestricted developement, it would just cost to much to stay competitive.

Myself I would look to the Grand-Am series for a start. They may lack the "cutting edge" of other series, but for competition and numbers it can't be beat.

8. mrntd

mrntd Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Sep 30, 2011
    Male
    Sales and Marketing manager
    Hilliard, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +1,763 / 0 / -0
    Incorrect. Here are a couple of examples:
    Ground effects - neither expensive nor unsafe, other series have them.
    Mass damper being ruled movable aero
    Blown diffuser
    Double drs

Oh some teams will spend a fortune to get the last 10percent
    But this isn't to debate what's band and why

We have basic racing in scca and NASA.

How would we have the innovation and be reasonable?

My thought at this point is to have some basic safety rules, as has already been said, and a maximum budget on car and development. They could spend what ever they want on marketing, drivers, testing and the other bits.

I know you guys are a smart and opinionated group. Time machines aren't an option, sorry crashton, so what are some other ideas?

9. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    Oh one more thing. No ugly cars. F1 and Indycar! :D

10. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    I disagree........

ground effects were banned because of safety. The cars were going way to fast in the corners and when they did lose control, they lost it completely. Just look what the LeMans P1 cars had to do.....put on those great big ugly fins to try and keep them straight so they wouldn't flip.

The other three mentioned were all banned because they violated the current rules. The rules package they have does indeed limit some inovation, BUT it does not preclude inovation completely. There may be ways to open up some inovations, but it really comes down to what kind of money can be spent.

There is no practical way to monitor the monies spent by the F1 teams. They try to, but it is too easily skirted and it is still more than some other teams can spend.