Most liked posts in thread: CTEK hook up question

1. Red Bull

Red Bull Active Member

Aug 9, 2014
    Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
    Replied on the other forum, but it might be helpful for MA also.

The MINI owners manual for my ‘05 says to charge only by using the port in the engine compartment and grounding on the nut/stud on top of the transmission mount per jump starting. That’s how I connected my CTEK cable.

Most cars won’t charge through the lighter if there’s no power without the key, but there are some oddballs out there like my ‘90 Porsche. The lighter doesn’t work without the key, but the factory rebadged wall wart trickle charger with lighter plug still charges without the key. It’s wired some how to still allow 12V to flow in to the battery when the key is off. Strange!

2. bcgreen

bcgreen Member

Jan 12, 2017
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    Rotating only changed how fast the Half Battery light flashes. Without the key in the ignition the top row of lights don't even come on. It didn't come with the pigtail wires but the pigtail wires came with the other Charge O Mat. It had already the clips to connect to the battery directly. I use that one for the 76 Porsche.

3. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    Sorry for what may be dumb questions. I know on my R53 some devices that I plugged into the cigarette liter would not work. I would have to unplug them turn the plug a little a little then they would work. It was like they only made connection in a sextant spot. Have you tried this?
    Did it not come with the wires that you bolt to the battery terminals then plug into the CTEK?