Engine Drivetrain 1st Gen Cooper S Cucso LSD Install

Discussion in 'Tuning and Performance' started by istara, Jul 10, 2009.

Tags:
  1. istara

istara New Member

May 21, 2009
    Tucson, AZ
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Mostly done.. thought I'd share some pics for anyone who might be curious. There's a good how-to on the LSD install from h-kuevo on the other site (many, many, many thanks for that).. I had a friend help me so that I could try to catch pictures of all the inside of the transmission work that there were fewer pics of..

Step 1: remove just about everything that isn't the engine or transmission from the car :wink5: easy, right? (for more details, go look up that how-to)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Step 2: remove transmission:
    [​IMG]

old throw out bearing (pretty shot).. was glad I had a new one on hand as recommended
    [​IMG]

Step 3: open transmission:
    [​IMG]

line up all bolts neatly in a row (ok, kidding, that's just my OCD kicking in)
    [​IMG]

tada..
    [​IMG]

old diff:
    [​IMG]

new vs old:
    [​IMG]

new diff: cusco 1.5 way clutch pack LSD
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Step 4: just add (swap) ring gear..
    [​IMG]
    Removal from the open diff was not too bad with air tools. We managed to torque the bolts back up on the LSD by having one person hold on to the ring gear with heavy (very heavy.. it's quite sharp) gloves while another handled the torque wrench. Criss-cross pattern, naturally.. and mark the bolts.. it would be bad to forget one.

insert in to transmission:
    [​IMG]

spread on some strawberry jelly (anaerobic sealant) ... and close:
    [​IMG]

By this time it was getting dark, so we closed it all up, tightened up the bolts (30ft-lbs) and let it set over night. Today it'll be getting the trans back in and all that fun "installation is reverse of removal" stuff.

2. jhiggs26

jhiggs26 New Member

May 24, 2009
    Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    Right on Istara! Keep us posted on your use and abuse of it!

Note: fire the ring gear in a vice-with wood covered jaws-for torque up to diff! It's way easier on the hands.

Jeremy

[​IMG]

3. Steve

Steve Administrator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator

Apr 23, 2009
    Maryland, USA
    Ratings:
    +3,166 / 0 / -0
    :lol: :lol: :lol: I'm afraid I can see myself doing the same thing.....

Good stuff, here's hoping it all goes back together without any "extra" parts left over. :wink5:

4. jhiggs26

jhiggs26 New Member

May 24, 2009
    Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    I even thread restored mine before bolting the bell housing back on! :smilewinkgrin:

Jeremy

5. istara

istara New Member

May 21, 2009
    Tucson, AZ
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    a vice would have been nice.. but there wasn't one available. Fortunately in being the weakling in the garage (read: only girl), I had plenty of friends willing to sacrifice their hands while I sat back, watched, and sipped on my cold beer.. :eek:ut:

Transmission is bolted back on to the car, but there is only one minor delay in getting it back together: shift cable bushings are shot on the transmission end (cables won't even stay on). And since MINI only offers them as one part (no bushings sold separately that I could find).. it's a few day wait before it will be driveable again. /sigh Good thing I've got 2 full weeks before the next autox to get 500 miles on the clock and really see what it can do.

6. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    :Thumbsup:

Thanks for posting......!

What site had the how-to by h-k?

7. istara

istara New Member

May 21, 2009
    Tucson, AZ
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    NAM.. if you google search it for "clutch flywheel quaife" it should come right up

8. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    Thanks......tried looking under cusco.

9. TGS91

TGS91 New Member

May 8, 2009
    Sales Dude
    St. Louis, MO
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    You go girl! You are my new DIY modding hero! :cool:

10. Aeromax

Aeromax New Member

Jul 24, 2009
    Graphic designer
    Trumbull, CT
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Man pulling the trans for clutch work or trans work is a job I wouldn't look forward to, but I know someday I'll have to do it...

11. WolfGTI

WolfGTI Active Member

May 21, 2009
    NJ
    Ratings:
    +217 / 0 / -0
    My LSD goes in less than 2 weeks - can't wait to try it out in some corners.

12. oxtox

oxtox New Member

May 12, 2009
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    so i guess you knew i was "out" on our little group buy:D i bought too many toys this year to do the lsd.....but it's the first mod when i pay all my bills.

did you (and istara) get a clutch and flywheel too? if so which?

lastly, are you bringing the mini or the gti to thunderbolt? that lsd will deff. help! :cool:

13. istara

istara New Member

May 21, 2009
    Tucson, AZ
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Didn't do the clutch or the flywheel. For me, I won't be seeing much more over all power even in my long term plans for the car. The stock clutch has served me well and only has ~35k miles since replaced under warranty. I figure in another 70-80k miles, I'll just replace it with another OEM.

Car's all back together and running fantastic. Cusco is a little loud if you worry about that kind of thing, but difference in coming out of a corner is amazing. Wish I could give better reviews after the autox tomorrow, but the power steering pump ate it last night (I don't think it liked all the figure 8's for the LSD break in) and I haven't been working out enough lately to survive 8 runs of craziness with no power steering. Will have to wait at least another 2 weeks.

On another note.. anyone have a used dead or alive PS pump I could buy cheap to send in for a rebuild? :skep: