They are the best.. yep! :Thumbsup:

2. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Tires are your cars shoes. Do you put on the same shoe every day or when it snows do you wear a different shoe than in the summer when it's 85F outside.

Back in the days when I had a garage and mo money than sense There were 5 sets of wheels and tires for the MINI depending on the conditions or usage planned.

My wheel fetish has seem to have sated. Jam anyone?

3. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    I think your lack of response is from the fact that you are looking for All-Season tires and many of us have so little experience with that type of tire since we use specialty summer and winter tires or just get round and black and cheap.

4. Ronbo

Ronbo New Member

Feb 10, 2013
    New Albany, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +106 / 0 / -0
    Are you talking about the Conti ExtremeContact DWS sold by Discount Tire? I pretty sure this tire is not exclusive to DT. I put a set on last December and found them to be a excellent tire to deal with the severe road conditions (snow/ice) we encontered in Mid-Ohio last winter. Maybe not as good as a dedicated winter tire, but more than adequate. In dry conditions they match my spirited driving style just fine. Haven't any any noise issues, but I've only put about 3000 miles on them. I give them a big thumbs up for what they are and price point.

Check out the Tire Rack web site. They will rate all of the ultra high performance all season tires they sell. I'm sure there's some newer tire technology out there. DWS's are rated pretty high if I'm not mistaken. Unfortunatley, a all season is a jack of all trades and a master of none.

5. Firebro17

Firebro17 Dazed, but not Confused
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 18, 2010
    Retired CAL FIRE Battalion Chief
    The Great Irrigated Desert of Central CA
    Ratings:
    +3,328 / 0 / -0
    When I hunt for new all season tires, I like to read the reviews on the Tire Rack site. I have the Yokohama Avid Envigor 215/45R17 at the moment. I used to like them very much. Then I altered the alignment and camber settings to get a bit more bite in the corners... As a result, and as with all tires, they wore a bit more quickly. Now that they've been worn in to the point of pondering replacement, I'm not sure I'd buy them again. I'm seriously considering the Michelin Pilot Sport for my next rubber experiment. I had them on my 98 BMW M Roadster and really liked them. They look cool and are not overly loud over the road.

Best of luck my friend...

6. ZippyNH

ZippyNH Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2010
    Pilot
    Southern NH
    Ratings:
    +688 / 0 / -0
    Having lived in Colorado for about 5 years, I can tell you that powdery stuff you guys have is so different than the wet sloppy stuff we get....it is a whole different ballgame.....
    Remember blasting through rabit ears pass near steamboat thought about 18 of snow in a 4x4 Tacoma on all seasons....heck wife once did more they 24+ in a highlander....it just got pushed sideways...never high centered.... Just crunched it down....then 3 days later...the streets were bare....lol...
    IMO unless you go through a pass that requires chains or snow tires....skip on the snows unless you live in a remote area....the climate is just do dry...it sublimates....and the roads are dry...in the east...the stuff sticks around... For weeks or months...

7. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
    Don give Steven a call over at eMINIparts.com, bet he can help you out. Snow tires are the way to go.

8. old81

old81 Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Used to work making computers run fast!
    Louisville, Colorado
    Ratings:
    +1,731 / 5 / -0
    Well after looking at some numbers today I think I will get a 2nd Countryman with some summer tires on 19s and just puts snows on the 2011 and drive it in the cold months. :)

Thanks for all the good input, like prying barnacles off of rocks.... :) :p

Don

9. caseydog

caseydog Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2012
    Automotive Photographer
    Dallas
    Ratings:
    +1,059 / 1 / -0
    As much as having sets of cars for each season sounds appealing, if you decide not to go that route, I just did something I never thought I would do. I ordered a set of Hankook Ventus S1 noble2 XL (they seem to like long names) tires from TireRack. I'm a Michelin fan, but money is tight, and they had really good reviews on multiple web sites.

They don't arrive until Monday, so I can't offer any first-hand thoughts.

Not a whole lot of help, eh? But, the advice is free, so you got what you paid for. :biggrin5:

CD

10. ZippyNH

ZippyNH Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2010
    Pilot
    Southern NH
    Ratings:
    +688 / 0 / -0
    Get black!!l (insert joke here about once you try black...you don't ever ....)
    Black and round!!:postcount

11. old81

old81 Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Louisville, Colorado
    Ratings:
    +1,731 / 5 / -0
    Not helpful boys! :)

12. old81

old81 Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Louisville, Colorado
    Ratings:
    +1,731 / 5 / -0
    Anyone tried the Discount/American Tire branded "DWS" built by Conti but only sold at D/A?

Just curious...

Don

13. old81

old81 Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Louisville, Colorado
    Ratings:
    +1,731 / 5 / -0
    No strong opinions, I find this somewhat daunting and unrealistic.

Guess I will just see what is on special at PepBoys. ;)

Don

14. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
    Looking at the DWS tires they look like they's be great in the rain & maybe OK in light snow. Hope that helps you some Don.

15. old81

old81 Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Louisville, Colorado
    Ratings:
    +1,731 / 5 / -0
    Thanks guys, I have been pondering getting another set of wheels for the Countryman and mounting up a set of snows.

Only problem I want the steel wheels they sell in Europe and so far I have not found a dealer willing to sell a set at a reasonable price, in my neck of the woods.

Guess I could go with the DWS once again, those worked well and are still doing well, just getting a bit of road noise now but a good bit of tread is left.

We shall see. Us Colorado folks are picky, thought you Easterner's had some strong opinions... I guess you do, snows and summer tires. :) :)

Don

16. caseydog

caseydog Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2012
    Automotive Photographer
    Dallas
    Ratings:
    +1,059 / 1 / -0
    Update.

I have the Hankooks on the car, and so far, I like them. I haven't driven them in rain, yet, because I live in Dallas and it is still the dry season here.

The ride quality is very good, and dry handling is also very good. The road noise is decent, with a bit of a "boom" over poor road expansion joints. On good roads, they are as quiet as you will likely get on a CooperS with high-performance tires.

At this point, I have nothing negative to report. I'm happy with my purchase, so far.

CD