Engine Drivetrain 1st Gen Cooper S Cusco LSD + CLutchmasters FX 300 clutch + flywheel impressions

Discussion in 'Tuning and Performance' started by WolfGTI, Aug 28, 2009.

1. WolfGTI

WolfGTI Active Member

May 21, 2009
    NJ
    Ratings:
    +217 / 0 / -0
    I had my Cusco LSD installed along with the Clutch Masters Fx300 Kevlar clutch + flywheel done by Helix in Philly a couple weeks ago.

The parts now have just over 1000 miles on them and the clutch has been properly bedded in as per directions.

The car is much more fun through corners and on / off ramps now, it is much easier to steer using the throttle, you can feel the car transition as you feather the throttle through curves. It is great to floor it in 2nd through an on / off ramp and feel the car really bite down and pull through the ramp. The Cusco also locks up on decel and has helpes make the car much more sure footed on heavy braking on bumpy road surfaces.

The clutch is buttery smooth and very quick on the take up, it engages firmly, to the point that when running through the gears hard, I can chirp 1st, 2nd , 3rd very easily however the DCS will engage and bog the car - this never happened with the stock clutch. Problem solved but turning hte DSC off - lol. The lightened flywheel really livens up the motors response rev matching is much easier and the car doesn't feel as bogged down off idle as it used to.

All in all a great combo. :D

The Cusco clutch was sourced from RMW, the Clutchmasters clutch / flywheel were sourced through Helix.

2. Ryephile

Ryephile New Member

Apr 9, 2009
    Yes!
    Metro Detroit
    Ratings:
    +122 / 0 / -0
    Congrats on the install! Looking at your engine mods, the FX300 was a bit of overkill unless you have some big future plans. I had that exact clutch on my turbo project R53 and even with 260wLb/Ft it clamped like nobody's business. Good to hear the Cusco diff works nicely, especially good to hear it helps in straight-line braking. You'll just have to get used to implementing turning off DSC in your pre-flight checklist!

3. WolfGTI

WolfGTI Active Member

May 21, 2009
    NJ
    Ratings:
    +217 / 0 / -0
    Considering the FX200 was the same price as the FX300 - I went with the 300 - primarily because of the future upgrade path.:D

4. Ryephile

Ryephile New Member

Apr 9, 2009
    Yes!
    Metro Detroit
    Ratings:
    +122 / 0 / -0
    Cool. Whenever you're ready for twincharge/twinscrew/turbo-only/huge nitrous you'll be good-to-go. :ihih:

5. oxtox

oxtox New Member

May 12, 2009
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    waiting to test drive the mendra mobile!!!!:cornut:

njmsp thunderbolt course oct 31st and/or nov 1st? i'll go to whichever you can make:yesnod:

PDA Driving School

6. nabeshin

nabeshin New Member

Jun 8, 2009
    Lincoln, NE
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    So is it the 1.5 way or 2 way LSD? It didn't add any under-steer or dampen the nimbleness? What is the weight of the clutchmasters flywheel? No chattering with any of this?

7. k-huevo

k-huevo Club Coordinator

May 6, 2009
    Pipe Creek, Texas
    Ratings:
    +159 / 0 / -0
    ~12.5 lb

8. WolfGTI

WolfGTI Active Member

May 21, 2009
    NJ
    Ratings:
    +217 / 0 / -0

It is a 1.5 Way LSD, there is some chattering with the flywheel but not enough to bother me.