Engine Drivetrain 1st Gen Cooper S Custom Head Build

Discussion in 'Tuning and Performance' started by tommy_zito, Aug 30, 2009.

Tags:
  1. tommy_zito

tommy_zito New Member

May 18, 2009
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hey guys,

Ok so i have acquired a factory head this weekend, and am planning a build on it. I'd love some of the people that have done this before to chime in here. My plan thus far is port & polish, larger valves, (spings maybe) and a different cam. Suggestions are more then welcome being this is my first attempt at something like this. here are some pictures of what im working with thus far.
    iPhoneUpload-1.jpg iPhoneUpload-2.jpg iPhoneUpload-3.jpg iPhoneUpload-4.jpg

2. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    What work are you planning to do yourself and what will be farmed out?

3. k-huevo

k-huevo Club Coordinator

May 6, 2009
    Pipe Creek, Texas
    Ratings:
    +159 / 0 / -0
    #3 k-huevo, Aug 31, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2010
    Here is a question you asked on another forum, but I would be limited in my reponse to it over there.
    The cam suggestion would depend on intended use, a Crower/NS1 for a primarily daily driver, an NS2 for track use and/or huge valve head at high rpm use. For valves and valve guides Endyn. Endyn’s valve guides are precision made for Endyn valves at exacting tolerances beyond industry standards. For very large valves you will need custom valve seats. Stock springs can be used with the NS1 cam, and aftermarket springs for the NS2 at very high rpm. Each spring should be tested and head worked, or springs replaced, to bring all springs within equal spec.

You haven’t expressed what your motivation is for separating machining, porting, assembly, and parts acquisition. Whether for economics or the enrichment that comes with participation, I’m not being critical of your method with my following suggestions. Just about any intelligent work performed on the head will yield gains, the part that requires experience and skill, is optimizing all the components to improve efficiency; efficiency helps at all rpm ranges. Optimizing a head for a particular cam, improves output exponentially; more can be had from matching the head & cam than bolting on a cam without forethought. Quantity of flow is only one aspect of measuring headwork improvement, quality of flow is equally important, and sophisticated measuring equipment is needed to do that. To access the throat and other areas of the MINI head ports requires special mandrels not all shops have on hand, and then of course it takes experience to know how to manipulate shapes needed to balance flow volume, flow behavior, and velocity. My suggestion is if this approach is all about economics; only perform mild surface and transitions clean up. If you are after performance, have the entire job performed by a professional that has control over the entire process.

Werkin Mini is an Endyn performance provider, and Crower/NS camshaft supplier, contact me for further info and pricing. The standard to use for evaluating other machine shop facilities is Endyn’s. If you decide to have the whole job performed by a professional, Endyn has developed headwork and components to optimize performance with the camshaft of your choice.

4. tommy_zito

tommy_zito New Member

May 18, 2009
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    thanks for all the comments!

nate,

im not going to be doing any of the machining, how ever i will be there while the whole process is taking place. i dont have the tools or the knowledge do do this on my own. really the only work ill be doing is installing it.

5. Thumper460

Thumper460 Active Member

May 26, 2009
    United States Navy ..Retired
    Ratings:
    +99 / 0 / -0
    On the other site you stated this will be a RACING Head?? 7500+ revs and no care for the low end loss with Big Valves?? you Can go as large as 1.5MM on the stock seats.. 1.mm is a good valve size and will support any performance enhancements you are looking at.. however the VALVE size ISNT even close to where the flow potential ( and thus HP/Tq numbers) , but I can see where we all feel we have to have Big Valve Head.. do to all the "site" sugestions...

Those trick dual spring kits are actually LESS pressure than the stock springs.. however being TWO springs will afford safety if they break. So when or IF you use them set them in at adequate pressures for the cam and rev potential... cool??

Gasket matching and blending in the bowls will yield power... if these are RACING Heads.. there is a lot more to be done to make the expected power that you need to buzzzzzz the 1.6 to the 8000+ revs!! SOOooo.... I suggest , you do the work.. run the heads, and then in the future step up to a set that are for racing and see the difference... yes??

Have fun...

Just me...........................................

Thumper

6. Chase

Chase New Member

May 4, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I can vouch for that. With the help of Nitrominis and Huevo, i was able to get this "package" and prove its worth.

I know that you are going to try and build your own head, but if you are already looking at $1500 just in the parts and having other peoples work, why not just spend the extra 500 bux to get it done professionally. you will have the peace of mind that your head wont drop a valve or something like that.

Not trying to discourage you, just an idea

7. racingheads

racingheads New Member

Mar 10, 2010
    Honda master technician
    Kenosha, Wi.
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I've been hearing alot about different manufactures camshaft profiles, does anyone have the spec's for comparasion? Like lift and duration, lobe seperation.

We have used the .50 mm, 1.0 mm and the 1.25 mm oversize valves with our porting configurations we excellent results.

The 1.50 mm oversize valves, at times hurt low lift flow, there's a schrouding problem in the combustion chambers.

8. Thumper460

Thumper460 Active Member

May 26, 2009
    United States Navy ..Retired
    Ratings:
    +99 / 0 / -0
    Hit the Cam sites..
    The Nitrostick cam are Great profiles for not needing a TUNE and yet pull a bunch of solid performance.. got search and hopefully this HEAD thread wont go off subject!!
    Cams:
    Schrick
    Cat
    Newman
    Kent
    and a lot more.. they are all more high mid to top end cams ( thus the GREAT results with the Nitrostick series. Of 90% of us Daley drivers / some time track.. and always the TWISTIES!! LOL )

Heads need to be at application... and it is always best to have the Head done that way ( application) There is no need to loose the low to mid.. just because the mfg ONLY does a Head/CNC Program/ and valve size!! Custom Hand Porting ( as you do Jeff ) is "Old school " only in the way we DO it!! The flexibility thru a custom work is and will always take out a One-cut does all!! UNLESS, you are at a level that NEEDS all that air...yes?? And if you are under a 325 WHP engine... most dont!!

Just me..........................................

Thumper

( PS I feel all heads are good... just to what application?? Thus the 3 + Styles of the TPR Head.Yes?)
    Tpr

9. Professor

Professor New Member

May 4, 2009
    BMW / MINI tech
    Kentucky
    Ratings:
    +69 / 0 / -0
    Watching closely as I hope to build a custom head someday as well.

10. racingheads

racingheads New Member

Mar 10, 2010
    Honda master technician
    Kenosha, Wi.
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    The application, always is in reference to the customers needs, or wants.
    Whether its hand ported or not, a professional job includes that all ports flow equal to each other. Thats why we flow test every port.

A CNC ported head is only matched to what the head porter created, it doesn't mean that its the best head. It's just done differently by a computer program. Even the Best CNC cylinder head's have room for improvement.

I, myself, did all of Webb Motorsports cylinder heads, around 300 of them, plus currently doing Mini Mania heads also. There never has been any negative feedback, poor idle quality, or the lack of usuable horsepower. Most customers (tell a friend).

We could offer a CNC version, its available. But the added price (doesn't perform and better). It's about offering a service that's affordable for everyone.

11. track-toy

track-toy MINI of the Month

May 4, 2009
    Test Driver
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Jeff, I'm glad you showed up on this site. You did the big-valve conversion on my R53 and did the intake porting as well. I don't know if you remember. Anyway, my car has been a crowd pleaser ever since on the track. Depending on the conditions, I'm probably averaging 240 whp and, what's more, it's reliable. No issues whatsoever in close to 3 years of operation. I'm glad I went to the dual valve springs and titanium fasteners though (I tend to get a bit enthusiastic when I get one of those German sports cars or a mighty 8 liter domestic in my sights!). No offense to those wonder machines, but I like the David and Goliath battle so much.

12. racingheads

racingheads New Member

Mar 10, 2010
    Honda master technician
    Kenosha, Wi.
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Graham, it was really good talking with you on the phone recently.

There has been some good discussion's here on the forum about cylinder heads, camshaft profiles, intake manifolds. There are knowledgeable indiviguals here willing to share information. Most of the subscribers may have a interest in high performance power, but the average are looking for easy bolt on's.

13. track-toy

track-toy MINI of the Month

May 4, 2009
    Test Driver
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Well I have a lot of experience with easy bolt-ons. Beginning in 2002 when my car was brand new. I don't believe that there is any part that I bought back then that has survived the track except for my short-shft kit. I burned through 2 aftermarket headers and cats. Couldn't get my well-known, race setup, front brakes to stop me the way I wanted them to. I could go on and on...

I subsequently educated myself that I really needed custom work for my car that was track-tested. There are a very few vendors that I trust with my stuff and you guys that provide me know who you are. I'm not releasing any names because that is not what this site is about. But my brakes are now bullet proof as is my suspension, cylinder head techmology, and my 3" piped exhaust with F1-style 42" header primary piping.

The solutions for our car are not easy to choose, there are so many out there. I spent a lot of money developing my car to the winning formula that it is today. But I could have ignored the junior league stuff if I had known. Also, in my case, the top shelf had not arrived yet. It's here now.