Dark Silver in the garage

Discussion in '1st Generation: 2002–06 R50, R53 & 2004–08 R52' started by fishmonger, May 14, 2018.

1. DneprDave

DneprDave Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2010
    Engineer
    Pacific NW
    Ratings:
    +1,721 / 0 / -0
    Code allows a heating furnace in a garage, that is how many homes are heated now days. A pellet stove has no exposed flame, the firebox is sealed from the heated space, and draws it's air from outside. Check your local codes, you may be surprised, they might let you install a heater of some kind, propane, wood stove or something.

2. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    I close my garage door and open the door between the house and garage and heat it with the house heat.

3. fishmonger

fishmonger Well-Known Member

May 13, 2015
    Madison, WI
    Ratings:
    +895 / 0 / -0
    I'd be surprised a pellet stove or anything else with open flame is legal in a garage. For example, electrical outlets must be 30" above the garage floor to comply with code to reduce the risk of combustion from sparks.

I use the open garage door trick to cool the garage in summer, but heating it that way only cools the basement of the house where the garage door connects. I'd have to crank the upstairs heat to 80F to see any impact in the garage.

4. fishmonger

May 13, 2015
    Madison, WI
    Ratings:
    +895 / 0 / -0
    Time for an update before it's winter again and the car goes back into hibernation. It's been driven about 2 miles this year...

Between a zillion other projects around the house, I actually found some time to work on this car. With the Subaru out of the garage and the daily Mini as well fully operational, and just one other Mini stored inside, I actually have space to work.

For this car I had a few basic jobs to do this year. First I did the timing chain tensioner swap (not hard to do, so no coverage here - get a flexible head ratchet at Harbor Freight and use a short extension),plus I want to swap from resonated to non-resonated mid pipe on the Milltek exhaust. but , I figure I better get around to doing the big job first, which is the aluminum trialing arm conversion. I've punted that many times because I wanted the arms cleaned up like new and doing the hillbilly sandblasting job in the driveway just never happened.

So I used plan B last weekend. That involved chemicals. I looked around and a product called Krud Kutter was highly recommended. No harmful vapors, too, so I got a 32oz bottle on Amazon, put on safety glasses and gloves, put a control arm into a large Walmart storage bin and got busy with a detailing brush, some brass and steel brushes from Harbor Freight and a 50/50 mix of Krud Kutter with water. Note that whatever you spill will really clean your concrete garage floor. My bin cracked and I had a pretty massive leak so now there are a few square feet of white garage floor to get filthy again.

[​IMG]

About 45 minutes of applying the product, plus some scrubbing where corrosion on the aluminum arms was evident and I got a very clean part, etched ready for paint. See before after here

[​IMG]

Next up was proper masking for paint. That took almost longer than the cleaning process, but it was well worth the time to keep the machined surfaces paint free. Learned a few tricks doing this and once I figured out how to do this it went pretty quickly (use a small hammer on the edges after taping over, the masking tape will come apart where you hit the machined edges).

[​IMG]

I had a couple of cans of quality primer and silver wheel paint left over from a previous project, plus silver was more appropriate than the red caliper paint I had sitting next to it as an alternative. I want the part to look like R56, but not corrode, so silver it was.

First primer

[​IMG]

then the silver coat

[​IMG]

and masking tape removed

[​IMG]

The paint is still drying based on the smell in the garage. So the parts are waiting for the next weekend or whenever I find enough time to tear into the rear suspension. I won't do this unless I have enough time to complete the conversion. I think I have every part and bolt I need to do the swap. Originally I wanted to get 2 more rear control arms, but for now I'll just take what I have and put it together. I may even shoot some video of the install/conversion, since that's a subject you can't find on YouTube as far as I can tell.

5. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    I did the same thing when I got my seat before I put them on. Nice job.

6. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    That stuff really cleans well! Can you use it in a parts cleaner?

7. 00Mini

00Mini Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2013
    Retired
    Ratings:
    +3,026 / 6 / -5
    Parts look great !! Looking forward to your install.

8. fishmonger

May 13, 2015
    Madison, WI
    Ratings:
    +895 / 0 / -0
    I don't see why not. It's a bit expensive for that. 32 ounces about $15. You mix it 1:1 or 1:2 with water depending on how strong you want it to be.

9. fishmonger

May 13, 2015
    Madison, WI
    Ratings:
    +895 / 0 / -0
    Quick trailing arm update - the early snow and super frigid temps we had over the last 3 weeks have slowed things down in my garage, but I finally buttoned it all up last night. The car sits on its wheels, needs an alignment (next spring) and it went without major obstacles. I had to order some parts I didn't thing I needed and that cost another 7 days. I recorded everything on GoPro, but there's a lot of editing needed to keep this concise. Will do that on a cold boring winter weekend, I think. Until then just some photos and general comments:

It all began with a big breaker bar, getting that trailing arm bolt loose and the old part removed

[​IMG]

this came off

[​IMG]

this went on - 5.1 pounds less unsprung weight, although the bolts are heavier as they are all longer. Basically 5 pounds off unsprung weight on each corner

[​IMG]

Along the way to get the first one back on the car

[​IMG]

One critical issue - without some modding, that fuel filler hose on my car would rub on the trailing arm casting edge. Had to shorten the hose and file down the ridge on the arm.

[​IMG]

Driver side done, or so I thought. I put the big washer on the trailing arm nut on backwards. So I had to rip it all out one more time. Good practice.

[​IMG]

From below. Who needs a GP when you can do this for a few hundred bucks with junk yard parts and some time?

[​IMG]

Before the wheels went on, I replaced the resonator mid pipe of my Milltek with the straight pipe. My son's car with the straight pipe in it sound sooo much better. Now I wonder if I can put that resonator into the crappy Megan Racing system on the electric blue daily driver, as that system is way too loud...

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  10. 00Mini

00Mini Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2013
    Retired
    Ratings:
    +3,026 / 6 / -5
    Nice install !!

11. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
  12. fishmonger

May 13, 2015
    Madison, WI
    Ratings:
    +895 / 0 / -0
    The dark silver car now sits on dollies, pushed deep in the rear of the garage. This season I added a total of two (2) miles to the odometer. Guess I should drive it a little more next year. The blue Mini drove about 410 miles in 2019, the red one (my son) about 900. That's it for Mini motoring in 2019. Spent more time working on them than driving. As it should be :D

No idea what's in store for 2020, but the first thing this car needs is a proper alignment after the control arm swap.

13. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    I drive my Classic Minis more than that! I went to Aspen , Co for a Mini event, went to Wytheville, Va for another event and just in driving around the city, I probably did 6,000 miles in my Racing Green classic this year....

You need to get these cars on the road!

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  14. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    I even drove my MINI almost 5,000 miles last year.

15. fishmonger

May 13, 2015
    Madison, WI
    Ratings:
    +895 / 0 / -0
    I rode my bicycle about 5000 miles this year. No need to cold start a car twice a day. Prefer the quiet and healthy mode of transportation for the dull daily run to the office.

Everything else is either really short range to the store (again, don't want Mini to run 1 mile stints), or really long runs for at least 100 miles, plus I'd have to shuffle cars in the driveway to get one of the Minis out of the garage. Instead I usually grab the Subaru Outback that sits outside. And then there's our ridiculous winters - all Minis in hibernation for 5-6 months minimum while the Outback dominates the roads.

Once Minis wake up in spring, I start working on them and can't drive the car because it sits there in pieces until I get enough time to wrap it up, which is what happened to the dark gray car this year. I got a lot more Mini miles in during 2018, because the Outback had some extended garage time while being worked on.

16. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    I know what you mean about shuffling cars! My wife and daughter park in front of the garage so I have to move both cars to get the helmet out. I drove it only about 3500 miles.