Interior 1st Gen Dash Dissasmbly How to?

Discussion in 'Tuning and Performance' started by goaljnky, Mar 31, 2010.

1. goaljnky

goaljnky New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    LaLaLand, Left Coast, Overpopulated and Underfunde
    Ratings:
    +394 / 0 / -0
    Anyone have a dash disassembly how to? I was trying to install the invisilens I got from DrO at AMVIV, but the center chrome ring just refuses to come off on my Chrono gauges. Looks like I will need to take apart the dash to get it done.

Might as well see if I can kill some squeaks and such.

2. rkw

rkw Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    San Francisco
    Ratings:
    +449 / 0 / -0
    The chrono (or speedo or Nav) trim ring is attached only by friction to the black background plastic, and it simply pulls off. Basically the ring makes sort of a compression fit against tabs that stick out from the black plastic. The ring can be very stubbornly stuck the first time you try to remove it. When I took off my Nav trim ring, I had to insert a thin screwdriver under the edge and pry it up from the black plastic. After removing it the first time, the fit became not as tight and I am able to pull it off using only my hands on subsequent times.

3. bee1000

bee1000 New Member

Dec 23, 2009
    Marketing
    San Diego, California
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
  4. goaljnky

goaljnky New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Ratings:
    +394 / 0 / -0
    I pulled mine like crazy and it still won't separate from the black plastic. The dash would come up but the chrome ring stays in place.

5. goaljnky

goaljnky New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Ratings:
    +394 / 0 / -0
  6. rkw

rkw Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    San Francisco
    Ratings:
    +449 / 0 / -0
    The ring does pop off. I think you'll have to insert a blade to separate and pry the ring from the black background. BlimeyCabrio, MINIBee and a few others have installed InvisiLens on 05+ with chrono pack. I'll ask Blimey to chime in on this thread.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=RF33&mospid=48018&btnr=51_5446&hg=51&fg=30
    [​IMG]

7. goaljnky

goaljnky New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Ratings:
    +394 / 0 / -0
    I tried inserting a screwdriver, but all that did was scratch up the ring. there is only a few places you can even insert it to begin with.

8. rkw

rkw Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    San Francisco
    Ratings:
    +449 / 0 / -0
    If it's on very tight, you'll have to insert something thinner than a screwdriver, like a knife blade. Pinch in on the outside of the ring at various spots and try to create a gap where you can insert it.

If it's uncomfortable for you to pry it off, then you could take the dash trim pieces off as described in the NAM thread. I have not done this myself. After removing the passenger side trim piece, I've been told that it is possible to work the center piece out without removing the drivers side.

9. goaljnky

goaljnky New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Ratings:
    +394 / 0 / -0
    Pulled the dash apart. There is no way that chrome ring was going to come off by simply pulling on it. There are 2 plastic clips at 3 and 9 o'clock that snap in and would not allow to simply pull it off. At least on my car. But at least the lens is in.

10. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    You must still be recuperating from the AMVIV partying. :arf:

Chrome Ring: 1
    Human: 0

11. goaljnky

goaljnky New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Ratings:
    +394 / 0 / -0
    Recuperating? I am still going. :D

12. rkw

rkw Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    San Francisco
    Ratings:
    +449 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the report, and I'm glad you got it in. I may need to update the instructions.

What is the date of your build? I know at least 3 who installed on 05/06 with chrono pack and chrome ring, and I didn't get any feedback about issues. Are the tabs like hooks that can only be undone from the rear?

13. goaljnky

goaljnky New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Ratings:
    +394 / 0 / -0
    The build is 9/04. Yes, the tabs look like hooks. At least enough that you could not pull the ring off.

I know I had the dealer work on some rattles and squeaks a few years back, but I doubt that was one of the fixes.

14. bee1000

bee1000 New Member

Dec 23, 2009
    Marketing
    San Diego, California
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I have a 6/04 MCS with the regular trim ring, and it did not come off for me. I ended up pulling until the entire center of the dash popped off.

15. rkw

rkw Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    San Francisco
    Ratings:
    +449 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the information. I apologize if the installation instructions didn't cover all cases. I will investigate differences between versions of trim rings. The trim rings I tested have no tabs or clips and can be popped off. We didn't have feedback about this issue before.

16. goaljnky

goaljnky New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Ratings:
    +394 / 0 / -0
    No worries. Removing the dash is easy and this was the first time I've had to do it. Otherwise, love the lenses. :Thumbsup:

17. kelly girl

kelly girl New Member

Aug 10, 2009
    has nothing to do with my MINI :( -- but at least
    in a nuclear fallout bunker, complete with bottle
    Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    jinky isn't recuperating.. lemme assure you he was not down to the partying

Phase I Access bar
    Phase II ETA Lounge
    Phase III Hottub (the hotel hottub was open 24-HOURS)

Phase IV - ???

18. goaljnky

goaljnky New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Ratings:
    +394 / 0 / -0
    While you are wondering about phase IV, I was completing in during your Phase III. Up in my room. With full view of the hot tub.

19. bee1000

bee1000 New Member

Dec 23, 2009
    Marketing
    San Diego, California
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    That's what forums are for! I went through it a couple years ago installing gauge faces. I hated it enough that even though non-glare lenses sound great, there is no way I'm taking all that apart again!

20. rkw

rkw Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    San Francisco
    Ratings:
    +449 / 0 / -0
    #20 rkw, Apr 2, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2010
    Installing InvisiLens is much quicker and easier than gauge faces.

The normal procedure for the speedo/chrono lens is to pop off the trim ring without removing the dash panel (goaljnky is the first case I've come across where it wouldn't come off). Once the trim ring is off, the original lens is easily removed, then put InvisiLens in place and press the trim ring back on, and you're done. This is much easier than changing the gauge face, where you have to take off dash panels, remove the speedo unit from the dash, and partially disassemble the gauge.

The tach lens is quick and easy as well. The lens swap is much less involved than a gauge face swap. I do a complete InvisiLens tach installation in 5-10 minutes.

Finally, this will sound like shameless self promotion, but I have a genuine belief that an anti-reflective lens is necessary to get the full appearance enhancement from an aftermarket gauge face. During the day, dark gauge faces in particular create a "store window" effect where the reflections interfere with reading the gauges.