2nd Gen R56 Cooper S Dash Rattle

Discussion in '2nd Generation: 2007+ R55 through R61' started by YeloMini, Sep 16, 2010.

Tags:
  1. YeloMini

YeloMini Member

Jul 7, 2009
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    Anyone have a dash rattle that sounds like this?

Happens below 40 mph. Very loud, louder than the radio, etc. Seems to come from the plastic piece below the center most part of the front defrost vent, near the light sensor. It's not the light sensor, but a plastic piece you can feel through the defrost vent opening, under the dash cover.

Attached Files:

2. BlimeyCabrio

BlimeyCabrio Oscar Goldman of MINIs
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Professional Facilitator and Alignment Consultant
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    I have one kinda like that. Don't know if it's exactly the same source. Gonna pull my dash pad and put some foam or felt pieces under there at some point to try to kill it.

3. Nitrominis

Nitrominis Banned

May 9, 2009
    Doing nothing
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Ratings:
    +61 / 0 / -0
    Pen,coin,paperclip,toy etc...sounds like something you will eventually find?

4. YeloMini

YeloMini Member

Jul 7, 2009
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    Pulling the dash pad looks fairly involved so hopefully I can get my dealer to do it.

No toys, paperclips, coins, etc have even been loose in my car! :)

5. cal330ci

cal330ci New Member

Aug 30, 2010
    Automotive Technician
    Vancouver BC
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Sounds like theb centre dash pin. Used to line the dash up when its installed at the factory
    Need to remove the dash pad

6. Justa Jim

Justa Jim Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    It looks like a PITA, but it really is not. Had mine apart including the center stack and was surprized that it was eaiser then I thought it would be.

Jim

7. YeloMini

YeloMini Member

Jul 7, 2009
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    Did you remove the top pad of the dash? I think that is part I need to pull out and put felt underneath. There's a separate rattle that I can stop by pressing down on the top of the dash behind the tach area as well. We'll see what my dealer says about it next week. So far they put in a good effort to help fix rattles. These are new.

8. YeloMini

YeloMini Member

Jul 7, 2009
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    I pulled the light sensor completely out today and test drove. Same rattle so that eliminates that. Since it's dead center, you're probably right.

9. Justa Jim

Justa Jim Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    No, I just pulled the front face down. Not sure how to go about the top pad, but I'm sure someone here does.

Jim

10. lotsie

lotsie Club Coordinator

May 5, 2009
    stagehand/part time detailer
    Right here
    Ratings:
    +401 / 0 / -0
    My 03 has the odd dash rattle, but I fixed it by installing a Megan racing exhaust, and playing the music louder:p

Mark

11. YeloMini

YeloMini Member

Jul 7, 2009
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    I wouldn't mind if this was an odd rattle. But happens every time the car is driven. Either I find a fix or I can't drive it. This rattle is loud enough you can't have a conversation. Probably at least as loud as an exhaust mod. :)

I was able to find the instructions in the Mini TIS. Will be my next plan of attack if the dealer isn't interested in fixing it.

12. Dr Obnxs

Dr Obnxs New Member

Jun 11, 2009
    A Man of Wit and Charm! (Just ask my wife!)
    Woodside, CA, up in the hills and trees.
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    When you do it...

it's good to have some contact cement and some felt. The first gens (especially early ones) had lots of issues with that. Mine included. When I had the cover off, the cloth tape around the center pin had shifted and there were other issues as well. I added felt in several places and many many years later, they've never returned.

Matt

13. YeloMini

YeloMini Member

Jul 7, 2009
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    Got my car back from the dealer where they addressed this issue. The alignment lugs in the upper dash panel (top of the dash) were damaged/worn. A new dash top was installed and it's now a silent car again.

14. Porthos

Porthos New Member

Aug 1, 2010
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Meh it happens. My rattles a little. But a few smack in and around that I think it is coming from normally takes care of it.

15. Rae

Rae Club Coordinator

Oct 14, 2010
    teacher for severely/multiply disabled students
    Oregon
    Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    Mine rattle seems to be coming from the same place, but under the dash. Drives me nuts!!! Thanks for the hints on how to find it!

16. YeloMini

YeloMini Member

Jul 7, 2009
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    That was the trouble with this one. It wasn't something that happened a few times and pressing on the dash would silence it for a while. It was 98% of the time.

That's the same place as this rattle. It was under the dash. Try pressing down on the plastic piece inside the defrost vent. Not the trim around the vent, but if you reach through the 2 center slots of the opening you'll feel plastic blocking the air path there. These 2 center openings aren't really open. Press down on this plastic. That usually silenced the noise, but not always. If it's out of warranty you could pull the dash pad and try to insulate the centering pins.