Data Acquisition

Discussion in 'Track Days & HPDE's' started by BThayer23, Sep 24, 2010.

1. BThayer23

BThayer23 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Civil Engineer
    Durham, NC
    Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    What do you guys use for data logging at the track?

I've been looking at a couple devices, the Traqmate and the GPX Pro. The latter was recommended by a friend, but almost all the reviews I see are for bikes. I'm looking for a GPS-based tool to analyze my laps. Being an engineer, numbers are what I like to work with. I don't need video, I just want to get faster and quantify my progress.

Any of you guys using these? Any others I should look at? I'd prefer to use a battery-based system, and not something that's running on my iPhone. I don't want to get a text in the middle of my lap and have to screw around with stuff.

2. Dr Obnxs

Dr Obnxs New Member

Jun 11, 2009
    A Man of Wit and Charm! (Just ask my wife!)
    Woodside, CA, up in the hills and trees.
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I have

the MSD G2X. It's OK+. I like the GPS data logging, I don't like that the only way to extend data aquisition is through thier proprietary CAN based sensor network. But then, I'm not hitting the track much, and I'd put money to other things.
    One thing that is a pain is shutting down the car can be a hassle depending on how you power it. If you aren't carefull, you can loose your last lap/run.

Matt

3. BThayer23

Jun 12, 2009
    Civil Engineer
    Durham, NC
    Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    Thanks Matt.

Bump for more?

4. Onasled Racing

Onasled Racing New Member

Jul 19, 2010
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    I personally use and love my AiM. Works direct from the two Can Bus wires so it's a really simple hookup for the Mini. Should also get a few extra sensors like EGT, and Lambda.
    This, along with the data logging offered by Mynes is perfect.

5. Dr Obnxs

Dr Obnxs New Member

Jun 11, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    The MXL Pista looks like quite the ticket! But it's 2x the price of the G2X! But it looks like you get what you pay for though...

Greg, will it hook into the high speed CAN bus of the 1st gen cars? There's no convinient connector, so it's time to get the wirecutters out!

Matt

6. Onasled Racing

Jul 19, 2010
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    Yep Matt. Just find those two wires anywhere and hook them up in parallel. Easy just to find them at the ECU plug.

7. Onasled Racing

Jul 19, 2010
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    would aslo get a fuel pressure sender and an Oil presure sender and Oil temp. Not bad prices on their stuff. Easy to use software!!

8. Dr Obnxs

Dr Obnxs New Member

Jun 11, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    That's nice....

one thing I always hated to do with both PLX and BimCom data logging was getting it all to sync up well. Excel hell for sure!

Matt

9. BThayer23

Jun 12, 2009
    Civil Engineer
    Durham, NC
    Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    Hmm... those sound like excellent devices, but I think I'm more interested in how I'm driving and less how the car is performing. Some of that sensor logging is useful, though, so I'll keep an eye out for how the inputs interface with the data collector.

10. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    If more for your driving than trying to capture what the car is doing might I suggest the Performance Box. I've used on in the past and find it very easy to use and get data from. For 500 bucks it's hard to beat. Plus you can share it on track days since and ya'll can compare lines.