Engine Drivetrain 1st Gen Cooper S Most liked posts in thread: Davies Craig Electric Water Pump EWP80, anyone?

1. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Isn't the point of this thread a discussion on alternative water pumps?

Why must we delve into the Sprintex as a viable M45 alternative? While they do use an alternative water pump the efficacy or viability of the Sprintex unit is not what this tread is about.

Lets talk water pumps please.

2. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
  3. Jan

Jan Well-Known Member
    Motoring Alliance Sponsor

May 16, 2010
    Ratings:
    +382 / 0 / -0
    what works on the street will NOT necessarily work on the track. This has been proven in spades already. Anyone see a sprintex racing?

4. TheModFather

TheModFather Well-Known Member

May 15, 2012
    11 years in the ARMY, 2 years of being a multitale
    North Denver CO.
    Ratings:
    +5,322 / 0 / -0
    Nathan the Sprintex keeps coming up because it is included with the kit, and that is what most are comparing it to.

It is bound to happen that people jump in and call the Sprintex junk, and for good reason... Not even the W/P can survive anything other than casual street use.

5. minsanity

minsanity Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2009
    Ratings:
    +378 / 0 / -0
    Haha, wouldn't an electric supercharger be more BMW, Dave?

6. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Electric water pumps have been used in MINI's before.
    Rotex and TVS car use them.

7. minsanity

Sep 11, 2009
    Ratings:
    +378 / 0 / -0
    Yeah,I realize that, Dave. Just sharing my curiosity, the success & progress others have had on the conversion & pairing w/ the stock M45 SC. Hope someone, some vendor could come up w/ a complete bolt-on kit to make the swap much simpler.

8. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    Someone does sale a kit but I can't remember who. It does sound like a good option.

9. minsanity

Sep 11, 2009
    Ratings:
    +378 / 0 / -0
    I've seen the pump offered on eBay. But not an entire R53-specific bolt on. Perhaps you can recall & point, if indeed there's 1.
    I pressume you'll have to tweak-fit some hoses, customize some fittings & pump mount. Doesn't look like a very difficult DIY, though. BlwnAway will be exploring how the M45 mounts with the DC EWP as he's rebuilding his engine.
    This experiment be very wothwhile for anyone who's got an expired pump/charger.

10. TheModFather

May 15, 2012
    North Denver CO.
    Ratings:
    +5,322 / 0 / -0
    There are better options than the Davis Craig pump... They are cheap plastic crap if you ask me. Our local euro shop Peak Eurosport, installed a Sprintex on a customer car, and a week later the W/P split right down the center! Plastic + high heat environment on both inside and out = not a good setup. Even though when my car ran with the Sprintex I never had any problems with the pump, it wont be reused... Its just not worth the risk.

In the above post, it is said that BlwnAway is rebuilding his engine... We all knew that, but it is also said he will be using an M45 again... Any truth to this? Why drop the Sprintex if it was treating him so well? Maybe the list of owners and over half of them failing in some way or another, over on the sewing site getting to some people?

11. minsanity

Sep 11, 2009
    Ratings:
    +378 / 0 / -0
    ^ Blwn isn't reusing his M45. After more than 200k mi of good driving, he felt t'was up for a good internal refresh. He'll be having a better view while engine is out, helping in the experiment by checking how a DC ewp will fit alongside the M45. He's pretty happy w/ his Sprintex set up & will continue to use it.
    Only available detailed instructions I've seen in R53s are w/ the DC ewp 80. If you can share details on other options, ModFaather, they'd be most welcome.
    Thanks!

12. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Yeah.....I going to watch this version of the Sprintex from the sidelines.

13. minsanity

Sep 11, 2009
    Ratings:
    +378 / 0 / -0
    I've been keeping an eye out, too, Dave. The thing is, this EWP mod is reversible, looks pretty simple & might even be possible w/o putting the car in service mode. As stressed, it's worth giving a shot should your PTO/pump go.

14. TheModFather

May 15, 2012
    North Denver CO.
    Ratings:
    +5,322 / 0 / -0
    I do have a much better pump for you... It aint no sissy plastic either.

Yes it costs more, but isn't the pease of mind worth the price instead of wondering WHEN your W/P is going to split just like 99% of the factory coolant expansion tanks on R53's have? The tanks fail why... Plastic and heat... The DC pump will eventually fail why? Because plastic!

Check this out... http://www.cvproducts.com/Products/SC-E558A-BK.aspx

Now thats a pump I would put on my car for the long haul, it's not going to fail easily! It even comes in red anodized for you all who give a hoot about color.

It's been used on MINI's too... Just need to know where to look. RMW could help, just need to ask. ;)

15. minsanity

Sep 11, 2009
    Ratings:
    +378 / 0 / -0
    Looks pretty solid, ModF! Are you currently running the Sprintex w/ the DC ewp or the EMP STEWART? Thanks for sharing, would the wiring be any different from the DC?
    If RMW uses this pump upgrade, guess we should call em out for a hand on some install how-tos! Jan? Anyone?
    cough**Dave**cough!!!:D

16. TheModFather

May 15, 2012
    North Denver CO.
    Ratings:
    +5,322 / 0 / -0
    I was the first private owner with no affiliation with a shop to install the Sprintex on my car. Played hell getting the kit, and crunching time to get it on (BoosTec receipt says kit #11), but somehow I beat all the pre orders, and was 1'st to have one up and running.

At the time I was all about it, then things changed, and I wouldn't let one into my garage. The list on the other site, kinda turned into a list of FAIL rather than what I would call happy customers. That should be warning enough. Needless to say when I get my engine built, it wont have an M45, but the Sprintex is going where it belongs... On my wall of misfortune... After I take it to the range, and shoot the twin screws out of it!

If you want install tips for the W/P, you will get the most by talking to the guy who uses them the most. However, he was BANNED from this forum, just like most of the others. :( Best bet would be to drop Jan an email, or call the number on his web page. ;)

17. minsanity

Sep 11, 2009
    Ratings:
    +378 / 0 / -0
    Sorry to hear about your trauma, MF. I'm just more focused on the EWP option. That should expectedly be straight-forward. The stock M45 does the job pretty well for my kinda use & I don't have the intention nor the courage to dive into other aftermarket forced-induction options.
    Appreciate your inputs, MF!

18. BlwnAway

BlwnAway Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2011
    Ratings:
    +314 / 0 / -0
    #14 BlwnAway, Aug 28, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2013
    As far as me, basiclly on the other forum I said that since I had my car down to the S/C being removed with the Sprintex kit Intake Tube & W/P still attached, that when I had a little time I'd pull the W/P off my old M-45 & slap it back on to take some detailed pic's & see what it would take to modify that Intake Tube to make it work, after that I was going to pull the Sprintex Intake tube & see what it would look like trying to modify the stock setup. Honestly I don't know how long it will be, right now it's close to 100* and as many of you know I'm forced to do everything outside.

The car's going to be down until late Feb. simply because of the cost involved in doing the engine rebuild that I'm planning, and since it was torn down to just the right point to play with this, why not?

As far as using an M-45 again, Never, for Myself, the only reason I would ever re-install one was if I was going to sell the car, nothing wrong with them, just not enough for me. Now that the motor will be built properly inside there's many more options, for now I'm sticking with the Sprintex & NOS setup + W/M, if I'm still not happy with that or when it's time to replace the Sprintex, I'll either, replace it, go bigger S/C or Turbo only. Those were always my plans, I was just waiting until the motor "had" to be rebuilt. All the while seeing what I could accomplish with the stock bottom end.

I haven't updated my build thread simply because I haven't pulled the Head yet, the issue that caused me to put the car down is in the head @ #1 and untill I pull it off to see exactly what's wrong, and what it will take to repair, I can't sell it with the proper information as to it's condition, therfore I can't move further and didn't feel the need to update. (Not to mention it's depressing as hell to have to wait so long.)

Oh, as far as the Davis Craig not holding up, who knows, mine only has 34k on it, so we'll just have to see.

19. minsanity

Sep 11, 2009
    Ratings:
    +378 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for finally dropping in, Blwn. You're among the few vital leads to the DC/M45 set up. You very well know I was among those following every bit of update w/ your build. Hope you get it back running to how you want it, sooner than you expect!

20. TheModFather

May 15, 2012
    North Denver CO.
    Ratings:
    +5,322 / 0 / -0
    Jan has returned... :D

As usual with a good short straight to the point statement.

If your car doesn't see the heavy demands that it will on the track, it can get away with using a lower quality part for a while, but something designed to be used hard on the track, will last even longer under normal street use conditions. Why settle for something that just works... For now.