1st Gen R53 Cooper S DDM + K&N

Discussion in '1st Generation: 2002–06 R50, R53 & 2004–08 R52' started by Boxcars, Mar 7, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Boxcars

Boxcars New Member

May 27, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Hi
    I'd like to change up my DDM foam filter to a K & N .
    Its the DDM for a R53 Cooper S and i bought it from Way.
    Anybody know the K & N # and dimensions?, and where to purchase?
    thanks in advance
    Boxcars

2. checkers

checkers Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2009
    Male
    retired
    Modesto, Ca
    Ratings:
    +1,156 / 0 / -1
    John this is Randy (Checkers) give me a call. I have one in my garage that I'm not using.

3. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    Stick with the foam ! !

Works better.

4. Justa Jim

Justa Jim Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    I know this topic has been beaten to death, but to date, I have still seen NO proof that an oiled filter causes any problems, but only people giving their opinions. I mean no offence, but I would really like to see some real, back up to the claims. I have run one for two years with zero problems and just don't get it.

Jim

5. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    I have run foam filters for decades on mostly off road vehicles. And have had the Alta on my MCS for 8 yrs. The facts are that the foam filter will provide a more consistent performance between service intervals than the oiled pleated filters will. The pleated filters can flow better when fresh, but it will drop dramatically once it starts to get dirty. With the much larger filtering area available with a foam filter, it is capable of handling a much larger amount of dirt before the performance is affected. Where are you going to find proof, only on the websites/forums on folks the race off road. They need the best LONG term protection possible. And they run foam.

Foam filters are also easier to clean and oil. Pleated filters can have over-saturated areas of oil and it is a lot harder to remove the oil from those filters. The foam filters are very easy to oil and they allow you to move the oil around the filter much easier. It is also much harder to over-oil a foam filter and cause build up on the maf sensor.

If you are happy with the pleated you have, by all means keep it. I just hate seeing folks change there filter based on flawed testing or marketing.

6. minimark

minimark Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
    Agree! Been running K&N filters for years in everything from boats, motorcycles, trucks and all kinds of cars with not one single issue because of them. Matter of fact, every vehicle I own today is breathing through them. ;)

PS: I should say that my lawn mowers, blowers, weed eaters, chain saws, etc., all do have foam filters in them though......