DeltaWing in 2012 LeMans

Discussion in 'Motorsports Chat & Race Preparation' started by rkw, Jun 12, 2011.

1. minimark

minimark Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
    Whilst the Deltawing was a very interesting piece, who proclaimed it the "fan favorite?"

It was hardly this fan's favorite..... There were so many very fast cars with interesting technologies racing each other in their respective classes...that the race was hardly over when the wing hit the wall...:screwy:

We wish the experiment had lasted longer but alas it just didn't....

2. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    We are going to see some interesting stuff over the next few years with the announcement of the 2014 rules.

Lots of freedom to design with the limits being the amount of fuel that can be used over the duration.

3. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    What is it about these LMP1 drivers.........? Don't they realize it's a freakin' 24 hour race. Last year McNish almost kills himself and another driver with a boneheaded move and this year many more moves of the same caliber....sheesh.

4. Angib

Angib New Member

Nov 25, 2009
    (Old) England
    Ratings:
    +425 / 0 / -0
    And just to show there's nothing new, here is a somewhat similar idea from the 1950s with either a twin-supercharged 1720cc Maserati engine or a 500cc unsupercharged Gilera motorcycle engine which achieved 200 km/hr =124mph:

[​IMG]

Piero Taruffi's TARF - even uses a front-wheel cradle just like the DeltaWing, in the case of the TARF to quickly turn the car round at the end of a record run. It is described as a Bisiluro (twin torpedo) and a different car of the same name actually ran at Le Mans.

5. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    Although I found the car interesting enough with some new bits of techno, I've said all along that if you let Audi, Toyota or anyone else enter a car that weighed half as much as mandated for the other cars, it would run as fast without having to look like a dart - it's the weight that makes this car work, not the nose.

That said, it did ramp up interest in the race and I appreciated that!

I agree that 2014 is the year to watch, with the announcement of the fuel cell car running and the freedom of design.....that should be a fantastic race!

And congrats to Audi for making it interesting - at least within the team! :biggrin5:

Well done to Toyota too, for getting their program so far in such short time, and with the challenges the last 2 years have brought.

6. Redbeard

Redbeard JCW: because fast is fun!
    Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Glorified spreadsheet jockey.
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +413 / 0 / -0
    Did the Toyota driver get penalized? It's the responsability of the PASSING vehicle to do so safely. The Deltawing was off-line when the Toyota tried to make a move.

7. maxmini

maxmini New Member

Jan 24, 2010
    Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    The Toyota camp sent him to the showers and did not allow anyone to interview him . The car was retired shortly afterwords so any penalty would have been more or less fruitless. At Le Mans there is quite a bit of this sort of thing, takes outs and such , but I don't know if they really penalize much . With " gentleman " drivers it is more or less expected but not from a " pro " such as takajima was supposed to be .

Randy

8. maxmini

maxmini New Member

Jan 24, 2010
    Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    Fan Favorite was not my term , I coined it from one of the broad casters . It certainly ramped up interest for this years event based on the amount of advanced promos etc. As for the race being over , it was as far as the Mfg race in Lmp1 which is still the overall winner and premier class . When Takajima screwed up his car and the Delta wing in one bold move, 6 hours into the event they could already type up the headline , " AUDI wins again " :Thumbsup: They just had to wait 18 hrs to make it official

Randy

9. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    Nakajima and some of the senior Toyota team members came to the Nissan Delta garage the next morning and apologized personally for knocking them out of the race.

Classy thing to do.....

Would have been better if he hadn't taken them both out, but........

10. maxmini

maxmini New Member

Jan 24, 2010
    Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    Agreed very classy and that had to be a long walk to the Delta pit for those guys :Thumbsup: The silver lining if any was that the results they did get were very encouraging and earned a " A " from some of the journalists / corespondents . Will be interesting to see what the next step is .

Randy

11. Mini'mon

Mini'mon New Member

Jul 16, 2009
    MINI Performance Parts Designer
    San Francisco, CA
    Ratings:
    +39 / 0 / -0
    Both of those videos were frustrating and saddening to watch.

Reducing frontal area and weight on cars in the name of efficiency w/o compromising stability during cornering has been a long time design challenge.

I agree with the later comments in this thread that it will be interesting to see what's next for the DeltaWing. Would really like to see what this ultra- efficient race car is capable-of in the future.

12. Steve

Steve Administrator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator

Apr 23, 2009
    Maryland, USA
    Ratings:
    +3,166 / 0 / -0
    There's an excellent article on GordonKirby.com. Yes, it's an interview with Ben Bowlby who, as always, is as upbeat as anyone has ever been about anything, but there are some interesting bits here and there.

I'll quote the first few paragraphs below, read the rest here.

The Way It Is/ Ben Bowlby's Le Mans debrief (GordonKirby.com)