Entertainment Electronics 1st Gen Dension GW 300 - need some troubleshooting help

Discussion in 'Tuning and Performance' started by papa-j, Nov 10, 2012.

1. papa-j

papa-j Active Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Mar 15, 2010
    (Retired) EHS & Quality Systems
    Minneapolis, MN
    Ratings:
    +112 / 0 / -0
    Hi folks,
    BACKGROUND - In my 2004 R53 with H/K audio is a Dension Gateway 300. I put the unit in for iPod use in and it's been working fine for 3 years. It emulates a CD Changer as far as the head unit (HU) is concerned.

PROBLEM - Now the MINI head unit doesn't offer any input choice other than FM and CD. It doesn't offer the CDC (compact disc changer) input at all so I cannot even "see" the Dension's and its options.

This loss of functionality was noticed by the daily driver some time after the water in R53 battery compartment fiasco (car was deader than a door nail).

I wonder if the Dension is crapped out and the HU doesn't recognize anything is hooked up? I cannot determine how to connect/poll it outside of the MINI....

Or has the HU somehow reverted to not looking for other inputs like the CDC?

I am going to disconnect/reconnect the car battery and see if that has an effect.

Your thoughts and experiences are welcome.

2. Jason Montague

Jason Montague New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Jan 5, 2010
    Physician Assitant (retired)
    Sherman,Tx
    Ratings:
    +1,588 / 0 / -0
    :cornut: You're over my head but i'll bump your thread to keep it in view.:Thumbsup:

Jason

3. gptoyz

gptoyz New Member

Jul 17, 2012
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    did you plug the dension into the cdc plug harness in the rear? if it is, disconnect it and see if that fixes it first.

4. gptoyz

gptoyz New Member

Jul 17, 2012
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    #4 gptoyz, Nov 12, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 12, 2012
  5. papa-j

papa-j Active Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Mar 15, 2010
    (Retired) EHS & Quality Systems
    Minneapolis, MN
    Ratings:
    +112 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the pointers folks. No joy on those.

I picked up a used DICE and it worked right away. Hooked it to the harness I had in there from the Dension 300. Guess the Dension is toast.