Interior 1st Gen Design help needed...

Discussion in 'Tuning and Performance' started by SNEEEZY - Erika, Aug 1, 2011.

Tags:
  1. SNEEEZY - Erika

SNEEEZY - Erika M/A Wrenchin' Babe!
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 27, 2009
    Female
    Ratings:
    +121 / 0 / -0
    #1 SNEEEZY - Erika, Aug 1, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2011
    UPDATE WITH PICS: Design help needed...

Here's my dilemma:

I have my Sirius PNP installed, hardwired, etc. and everything is perfect EXCEPT for where to mount it!

I have "dead space" under the center stack and behind the 12v outlet (aka lighter) and would LOVE to get something fabricated that would make the "dead space" nice a flat so that I can mount my Sirius PNP in that location.

My particular Sirius unit (XACT Visor XTR3) has the display on the narrow side:

[​IMG]

This particular organizer won't fit my '06 R50, but the shelf concept would work if it were lower & fit snugly against the lighter & cup holders.

[​IMG]

Plexiglas wrapped in felt...or perhaps thin plywood or MDF...I just don't have a pattern to use. :confused:

The mounting bracket as shown in the pic above would be fastened to the "false bottom" via small screws and/or glue.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated...

2. grodenglaive

grodenglaive New Member

Apr 3, 2010
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Ratings:
    +68 / 0 / -0
    Instead of trying to build a shelf, maybe you could find a pro.fit bracket that would work in that space.
    Universal Mount Gallery

3. SNEEEZY - Erika

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 27, 2009
    Female
    Ratings:
    +121 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the link!

Unfortunately, those mounts have flat bottoms and the designated area isn't flat at all, hence my desire to insert a "false bottom" so that I can use the mount which came with my PNP unit.

I'm going to buy foam board at Michaels to use for creating a template and go from there.

I will also stop at Lowes/Home Depot and pick up a roll of black duct tape which will suffice until something more permanent is created.

4. N2MINI

N2MINI MINI of the Month

Dec 4, 2009
    Sign Maker
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +594 / 0 / -0
    I have that little shelf in my 06 R52 Cabrio. Fit with no problems...

5. Mr. Jim

Mr. Jim Mudshark
    Lifetime Supporter

May 22, 2010
    North Carolina
    Ratings:
    +1,221 / 0 / -0
    You might want to check like a Radio Shack kinda store. They sell small sheets of abs plastic used for all kids of fabricating for electronics. Better than foam board.

6. Johngo

Johngo New Member
    Supporting Member

May 18, 2010
    Art Director
    Sugar Hill, GA
    Ratings:
    +200 / 0 / -0
    Sheet metal would be an option, also. Just make sure the edges get rolled or covered so they are not sharp. You could easily prep and paint it or cover it with something to match your interior.

Metal shops are pretty easy to find, and usually not very expensive.

7. Person Moved On

Person Moved On New Member
    Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2010
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    What about one of those beanbag GPS dashboard mounts?
    The beanbag would conform to the curved bottom and give you a smooth surface to attach the radio.

8. SNEEEZY - Erika

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 27, 2009
    Female
    Ratings:
    +121 / 0 / -0
    The foam board was simply going to be used to create a template for a piece of plexiglass, etc.

If you've ever cut tile, the method I was going to use was the "overlap & trace" so that I'd end up with the exact shape...

Anyhow, I didn't make it to Michaels, but I **DID*** get the black duct tape...pics to follow...

9. SNEEEZY - Erika

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 27, 2009
    Female
    Ratings:
    +121 / 0 / -0
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I used some heavy-duty Velcro to hold the mount securely against the bottom of the OEM tray. I then used black duct tape in an "X" pattern over the mount, followed by horizontal strips of black duct tape.

I then headed to the nearest empty parking lot and put Schultze through some "fun" paces and I'm THRILLED with the final result!

The unit didn't wiggle at all and I can see the display easily via the angle. The remote control worked perfectly, too!

10. Mr. Jim

Mr. Jim Mudshark
    Lifetime Supporter

May 22, 2010
    North Carolina
    Ratings:
    +1,221 / 0 / -0
    Nice! Btw, love the red accents!

11. SNEEEZY - Erika

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 27, 2009
    Female
    Ratings:
    +121 / 0 / -0
    Thanks! I'm going to take some updated pics of Schultze after I finish making some exterior mods. :wink: