Most liked posts in thread: Detailing Tommy's MINI

1. miniconcarne

miniconcarne New Member

May 5, 2009
    Machinist
    Home
    Ratings:
    +38 / 0 / -0
    Nice Chuck! :Thumbsup: You may have a second career there (or third or fourth), engineer types are never idle.

My A pillars need that treatment. I'll get with you on how to next time I see you.

Bryan

2. BlimeyCabrio

BlimeyCabrio Oscar Goldman of MINIs
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Professional Facilitator and Alignment Consultant
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    Nice work, Chuck.

Everytime I see one of the writeups (or when I spend 8ish hours on my own car) I chuckle at the guys I work with who think their car has been "detailed" when the guys come around with the power washer and spray wax every week and charge them $40.

3. MiniDaMoocher

MiniDaMoocher New Member

May 22, 2009
    Westminster, CO
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I didn't know you could polish the A pillars. Learn something everyday. :yesnod:

4. miniconcarne

miniconcarne New Member

May 5, 2009
    Machinist
    Home
    Ratings:
    +38 / 0 / -0
  5. tommy_zito

tommy_zito New Member

May 18, 2009
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Chucks lying, thats not my car.....oh wait....HOLLY CRAP IT IS!!!! :eek6: i swear the car looks better now then it did when i bought it! Chuck now get free oil changes for life! but of course now the car is detailed, mother nature has other plans for it..

6. old81

old81 Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Used to work making computers run fast!
    Louisville, Colorado
    Ratings:
    +1,731 / 5 / -0
    Nice Chuck.

Tommy I think it looks the best I have seen it these past couple of years, better than new for sure. :)

You do have a nice dry spot for it, I hope. :frown2: We are getting some crap MINI weather here in Colorado. :cryin:

7. lotsie

lotsie Club Coordinator

May 5, 2009
    stagehand/part time detailer
    Right here
    Ratings:
    +401 / 0 / -0
    Great job Chuck:cornut:

Paul,(Blimey), your right about some folks not getting it about how much work it takes to really get a car looking it's best. When some folks ask me how much to detail their cars, they are aghast at what I charge, usually about $200 to do just the exterior. Like the detail Chuck described, I spend 12-14 hours, so I'm not making much per hour:rolleyes5:, plus the cost of product, investment in tools/towels, and the fact it's going to protect their car for over 6 months they are getting a much better deal, than the once a month production detail, that takes less than an hour to do, probably won't last a week, and likely comes with new swirls installed:crazy:

Mark

8. mini_racer

mini_racer Well-Known Member

May 4, 2009
    Engr Manager
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +57 / 0 / -0
    Nice write-up and results. For me though, since I tape off the trim, I have better luck getting the tape to stick before the Black WOW is applied, so I generally apply the WOW as one of the final steps. Just works better for me this way.

9. danandtan

danandtan New Member

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Nice work Chuck!! Sweet lookin ride you got there Tommy! :Thumbsup:

10. tommy_zito

tommy_zito New Member

May 18, 2009
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Man i didnt even recognize my car! i don't even want to drive it now.. i have had it sitting in the drive way under the cover allllll day...the rain sucks!

as soon as i saw it my jaw dropped, :yikes: how ever now chuck says that i cant race the car....and i wont :devil: lol

11. danandtan

danandtan New Member

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    When you get a chance let's see some more photos.

12. tommy_zito

tommy_zito New Member

May 18, 2009
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Ha yeah no kidding, maybe if the weather shapes up! im so sick of the rain....of course it would rain alllllll weekend and then get sunny during the week.... im gonna buy some microfiber towles and try to dry her off today

13. TGS91

TGS91 New Member

May 8, 2009
    Sales Dude
    St. Louis, MO
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    I did a similar 'labor of love' this weekend to Augie, Holy crap it looks great! (pic's forthcoming). I didn't do the engine bay or interior and I racked up like 9-10 hr's

$200? Man thats a bargain for the work involved

14. lotsie

lotsie Club Coordinator

May 5, 2009
    stagehand/part time detailer
    Right here
    Ratings:
    +401 / 0 / -0
    Yes it is, but I have no time for a few months than to do our 2.

Mark

15. tommy_zito

tommy_zito New Member

May 18, 2009
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hey guys here are some up dated photos of the car! enjoy!
    P5260102.jpg P5260112.jpg P5260117.jpg

out with the old.....

[​IMG]

in with the new.....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and the new exhaust from the end of last summer...

[​IMG]

16. Octaneguy

Octaneguy New Member

Apr 24, 2009
    Dream job
    Anaheim, CA
    Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    Excellent writeup and work Chuck! Restoring MINIs brings me so much satisfaction. I wish more MINI owners would bring me their cars! :D

Regarding the issue of detailers. One thing to realize is that MOST detailers are Production Detailers. That's very different from the Quality Detailer.

Production Detailers are guys that primarily wash and wax your car. They don't address swirls other than to temporarily fill them with a glaze. They do this because it's fast and requires a special skill that most have never learned.

So when you pay a "professional" $40-$150 to "detail" your car, you are getting someone to wash and wax.

Enthusiasts will usually charge $50-$250 for a full detail..depending on their skill level. Some might do it for a pack of beer or maybe for free as they learn. Finding an enthusiast detailer is as simple as hanging out in the Detailing forums. In general they will do a better job than a professional production detailer.

I'm a professional Quality Detailer or Paint Polisher. I restore paint that's usually beyond what most people think is fixable and I charge between $400-$1,000 per car. For MINI's I charge $250 to try to get more MINI owners to care for their paint.

Recently I had a customer bring me his car to fix because his friend was a past customer with a G35 that he was selling. I think I charged him $550 for it. Turns out when he sold the car, he got $2,000 more than he expected because of the restored paint.

Richard

17. putterfarm

putterfarm New Member

May 18, 2009
    Bum.
    Pittsfield, Pa.
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    Not knowing about detailing or even where to start, what type of product do I use to wash "Chili" and then what's the next simplest thing to do. I can tear a car apart and put it back together but have never been any good with the outside. Chili is in really good shape and I'd like to keep her that way, protect her from the elements. Mark

18. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    There is a series of articles in the Library that are worth a read to get you on the right track. Library - Detailing Articles From there please feel free to ask any questions you have. The collective knowledge on detailing is very strong on Motoring Alliance.

19. TGS91

TGS91 New Member

May 8, 2009
    Sales Dude
    St. Louis, MO
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    You my friend are entering a whole realm of insanity.....

Check out Octane Guys's site, links on this site. Detailers Paradise and Griot's Garage

They can satisfy just about any degree of exterior care mania you care to engage in.

Be forewarned washing and polishing these little beauties can get quite addictive