Brakes Wheels 2nd Gen Tires Most liked posts in thread: Detroit Tuned 17" BBK Pad Wear

1. Jason Montague

Jason Montague New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Jan 5, 2010
    Physician Assitant (retired)
    Sherman,Tx
    Ratings:
    +1,588 / 0 / -0
    :cornut: My Margi(08 R56 MCS/JCWm whose brakes are the same as Gen 1 JCW brakes) wear exactly as what you describe on your car. Margi is very spirited street and does not(legally:lol:) race. Me, I think that your pads are wearing normally but, much more knowledgeble gear heads will be along shortly.:Thumbsup:

Jason

2. countryboyshane

countryboyshane New Member

Jul 23, 2009
    Diesel Engineering
    Bloomfield Hills, MI
    Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    Someone told me the 16" kit didn't do it as bad, but after I thought about it a while, the same principles are at work and I kind of dismissed their experience.

3. beaner

beaner New Member

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -0
    it is called "pad taper". if you insert a spacer (i.e. an old backing plate with the pad material removed and plate flattened) as you pad gets smaller, it will minimize, but not totally eliminate this issue.

Todd (TCE) explained the physics to me, but i have a short attention span. i just added spacers as suggested, and got more even pad wear.

4. UKCoopeR

UKCoopeR Active Member

May 21, 2009
    VA,USA and UK
    Ratings:
    +109 / 0 / -0
    I experience similar pad wear with my tce kit, nothing to worry about, I use the pad spacers and 'flip' the pads every event or two to even it out, some of the higher temp pads will do it slightly less but it is a common type of wear from what I have seen across many cars in the paddock etc

5. goaljnky

goaljnky New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    LaLaLand, Left Coast, Overpopulated and Underfunde
    Ratings:
    +394 / 0 / -0
    I'm going to say that this behavior has to do more with the fact that per rotation more of the rotor area scrubs the outer/top edge of the pad then inner.

6. countryboyshane

countryboyshane New Member

Jul 23, 2009
    Diesel Engineering
    Bloomfield Hills, MI
    Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    Good to hear I'm not alone in this!