Interior 2nd Gen Most liked posts in thread: Did I Void My Warranty

1. Dr Obnxs

Dr Obnxs New Member

Jun 11, 2009
    A Man of Wit and Charm! (Just ask my wife!)
    Woodside, CA, up in the hills and trees.
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    No...

you didn't void your warranty... But some dealerships use any excuse they think will work to dodge the service bullet, others are more accomidating. If you're really worried, just swap it out to stock for the few service visits that you will be doing.

Matt

2. Rixter

Rixter Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2009
    Technology Architect
    North of the 49th
    Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    Can you elaborate a bit on how you did that. It looks great! I've just got my opener clipped to my sun visor. Is this for an 2nd gen MINI (ie R56)?

3. rtharvey

rtharvey New Member

Jul 5, 2010
    Retired
    Summerfield, FL
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Hey Rixter, first question would be do you have anti-theft, because the switch protrudes into the space used for the goodie that scans the interior. If you do there is a mod on the sewing site that puts the rolling code homelite in the mirror, good pictures too. Just search 'homelink' at NAM and you should get it.
    On my install the switch would interfere with the transmitter so I made the wire harness long enough to go into the headliner area and picked up the purple/blue lead for power, brown lead for ground and the white lead for the LED (power controlled by the intereor lights).

4. Rixter

Rixter Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2009
    Technology Architect
    North of the 49th
    Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    Nope I don't have anti-theft. So I guess that leaves me out in the cold?

5. rtharvey

rtharvey New Member

Jul 5, 2010
    Retired
    Summerfield, FL
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Forgot...yes it's an R56. Actually the garage door opener transmitter will fit into the space that's allocated for the anti-theft, so without anti-theft you are good to go with a lot of different options.
    Look on E-Bay for a homelite transmitter that is rolling code, usually around 35$ US and the swiitch I used which has the 22mm blue LED that matches the interior lighting come from performance-pcs.com for about 12.95$ US + shipping.

6. Dr Obnxs

Dr Obnxs New Member

Jun 11, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    For 1st gens...

you can use the Accessory controls in the Ian Cull circuit. They can be configured for momentary on. It has two channels. We have customers that use a "left" and "right" garage door opener, as well as a gate and garage door. When installed, holding the lock either up or down for 1/2 second fires either of the outputs.

Matt

7. Rixter

Rixter Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2009
    Technology Architect
    North of the 49th
    Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    #8 Rixter, Nov 6, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2010
    So essentially you're putting in a one button remote in the compartment, then you drilled a hole and added a nice button to press the remote?

Something similar to this?
    http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/3/HouseHome/DoorAccessories/GarageDoorOpeners/PRD~0460253P/Genie%252B1%252BButton%252BCompact%252BTransmitter.jsp?locale=en

8. rtharvey

rtharvey New Member

Jul 5, 2010
    Retired
    Summerfield, FL
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Not really. Look at this link MINI COOPER :: North American Motoring - Garage Door Opener Mod?. I used a similar transmitter that I wired MY switch into the circuit board where the transmitter switch closes the circuit, and wired the power side of the transmitter to the car and then the switch LED to the car wiring. Then stowed the transmitter above the headliner because the switch I added extended up into the area where this link shows the transmitter being mounted.

9. Rixter

Rixter Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2009
    Technology Architect
    North of the 49th
    Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    The link within that link that references the 1st Gen mod is DOA. Not a problem though I think I found a better solution, no cutting or wiring...

North American Motoring - View Single Post - Garage Door Opener Mod?

Thanks for you help! :Thumbsup:

10. Justa Jim

Justa Jim Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    I don't have a garage, but was thinking about doing this mod, coding it to Lotise's new door and then when I'm sitting at a stop light I can make it go up and down, just for fun. :cornut:

Jim

11. iwashmycar

iwashmycar Active Member

Jun 1, 2009
    architecture
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +87 / 0 / -0
    Ive always liked this one, mentioned in that linked thread (didnt see that right away lol)

Home - F2P Technologies

flash brights twice, open

12. Dr Obnxs

Dr Obnxs New Member

Jun 11, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    This type of circuit

is what's behind the Ian Cull, the AS+, the Top Commander and others. You use the existing switches that are there, and watch them with a microcontroller for a specific timing event that triggers thier outputs. One nice thing with the MINI is that if you hit the sport button fast, or the DSC button not so fast, it doesn't trigger the function. That's how the accessory outputs on the AS+ work. Quick double taps on the sport or DSC button, and the output is triggered. But because of how the MINI responds (actually filters) really fast taps, the AS+ will act when the car does nothing.

Matt

13. CHKMINI

CHKMINI Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 1, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,863 / 0 / -1
    So Matt, you could trigger the garage door opener to open your door by quickly flashing the lights twice while sitting within the openers signal field? How cool would that be?

14. Dr Obnxs

Dr Obnxs New Member

Jun 11, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    What car do you have?

if you have a 1st gen, the feature is already in the Auto-Up circuit. But you hold the lock button up for 1/2 second. I think we could make a button commander firmware version (same thing as the AS+) that would do this if we found were to get the high beam signal, a power and ground. Then you would wire into the remote control of your choice to get it all to work. If FES were to build one, it should work with either car, though....

Matt

15. lotsie

lotsie Club Coordinator

May 5, 2009
    stagehand/part time detailer
    Right here
    Ratings:
    +401 / 0 / -0
    Riding around as kids with a garage door opener was great fun when there was 1 code:lol:

Mark

16. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    Awwwww Man....

Jim was gonna be sitting out there by your driveway flashing his lights until the cow come home. Not gonna happen now......

17. Justa Jim

Justa Jim Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    With all the stuff-in- the-sky technology out there, don't be surprised if your door keeps going up and down, up and down. :Thumbsup:

Jim