Discount Tire Pricing

Discussion in 'Mid-Ohio Motoring' started by Ronbo, Nov 6, 2014.

1. Ronbo

Ronbo New Member

Feb 10, 2013
    New Albany, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +106 / 0 / -0
    It seems as though certain Discount Tire Stores are adding the shipping charges when doing a price match with Tire Rack. This happened this week while trying to purchse tires for the wife's ride. I have been doing business with them for over 10 years - 2 years in the Columbus area (3 sets of tires and one set of rims) and have never been charged for freight before. They said this was a new "store policy" ...since anything you purchase yourself from Tire Rack would include a shipping charge. I was also told that the tire I wanted was out of stock at the manufacturer and they couldn't get it anyway. They did have some tires in stock that would fit the car, of course more expensive. After a heated discussion with the assitant manager and manager, I promptly left the store. (Just a quick note, this store has just gone through a complete management change, not one face I recognized behind the counter).

Now don't get me wrong, I really like Discount Tire! In the past I have never had any pricing issues and there customer service has always been stellar. I phoned another store in the area and explained the situation to them. They said they would call me back. 10 minutes later I recieved a call telling me they found the tires at 2 different out of state store locations and would have them shipped in. They would would meet the Tire Rack pricing with no shipping charges and would even honor the MOM pricing for mounting and balancing.

Now this is the Discount Tire that I know and love! So i guess the moral of this story is make sure you've done your "due dilligence", don't get "bullied" and remeber the quote: "if their lips are moving they are lying".

2. wmwny

wmwny Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    Male
    Retired
    Piqua, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +2,790 / 10 / -0
    So, where is the "new" store?

3. AAONMS

AAONMS Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Jan 16, 2011
    I play with trains...
    Fruit Cove, FL
    Ratings:
    +221 / 0 / -0
    My 2¢:
    Several years ago, I asked the folks at Discount Tire if they’d be able to match Tire Rack. It seemed fair to me that the Discount Tire price for tire and tax be compared to Tire Rack tire and shipping. Mounting/balancing is the same no matter the source of the tire.
    In any event, no matter how you arrive at the calculation, it is the out-the-door price between the two that I was interested in comparing. They are consistently less than Tire Rack – sometimes by only a few dollars and other times by substantial margins.

4. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    What you guys need to do is become good friends with a Mechanic that has a Tire Rack account. :wink:
    If you are a really good friend maybe he will sell them to you for what he pays for them cost + shipping. My buddy even mounts and balances them for free.

Its so much cheaper.

5. Ronbo

Ronbo New Member

Feb 10, 2013
    New Albany, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +106 / 0 / -0
    Agreed. Usually there tire prices are within a few dollars of each other, but in this case there was a $57 dollar per tire diffrence between the two! I checked Discount Tires pricing for the same tire on the west coast and it was one dollar more than the advertised price at Tire Rack. The Discount Tire guys told me flat out that they wouldn't match the regional cost difference of the tire.

6. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Well the new group that took over that tire shop will not be in business long if they keep treating customers that way.

7. hanyssa

hanyssa New Member

Jun 6, 2012
    Columbus, OH
    Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    Shopping for tires myself right now. Which location treated you right? And who did you work with?

8. rigidjunkie

rigidjunkie New Member

Dec 23, 2009
    Membership Manager
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +136 / 0 / -0
    Just go to Canal Winchester and deal with Stewart. Sure it is a drive for people on the north side but the guy takes care of car enthusiasts like none other.

As with others I fundamentally agree if Tire Rack includes fees in their out the door price then Discount Tire should match the price including fees. It just seems fair that you would match the final price. That said 9 times out of 10 if you order tires from tire rack they arrive the next morning, most ship from Indiana so even ground comes really fast. I once ordered a set of wheels and tires at 9:00 PM, they were on my porch by 9:00 AM the next morning.

9. Ronbo

Ronbo New Member

Feb 10, 2013
    New Albany, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +106 / 0 / -0
    Tim at the Grove City Discount Tire. He is the guy that Nathan made the original deal with for MOM members at Discount Tire back a few years ago.

10. iwashmycar

iwashmycar Active Member

Jun 1, 2009
    architecture
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +87 / 0 / -0
    I'm going to bump this up since I just got new tires today. Forget Discount and all them.

Call Best One. They will come to you and install the tires for you. They came this morning about 11am. Fired up the generator in the box truck and just before noon I heard it turn off and went out to the sound of torque wrenches clicking. Awesome service. They will meet or beat any other tire price too.

11. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    Nice, are they coming to your place every 6,000 miles or so for a rotation & re-balance? If so that is a great service.

So far I've been treated very well by the folks at Discount Tire & will continue there.

12. Ronbo

Ronbo New Member

Feb 10, 2013
    New Albany, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +106 / 0 / -0
    If I only knew this a few weeks ago...Oye vey!

13. iwashmycar

iwashmycar Active Member

Jun 1, 2009
    architecture
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +87 / 0 / -0
    They would...but not free (I assume). I think if they did a free lifetime balance and rotation you would have to go to their actual shop. :cornut: I am not sure if that is an option or not...never asked