Brakes Wheels 1st Gen Tires DIY tire balancing.

Discussion in '1st Generation: 2002–06 R50, R53 & 2004–08 R52' started by goaljnky, May 14, 2010.

1. lotsie

lotsie Club Coordinator

May 5, 2009
    stagehand/part time detailer
    Right here
    Ratings:
    +401 / 0 / -0
    Back in the stone age:Thumbsup:. Most now are stuck on with a VHB(Very High Bond) adhesive.

Mark

2. goaljnky

goaljnky New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    LaLaLand, Left Coast, Overpopulated and Underfunde
    Ratings:
    +394 / 0 / -0
    Those are old school. The new way are the stick on ones. Also prevents from marring all those beautiful alloy rims that we all so like. :D

3. lotsie

lotsie Club Coordinator

May 5, 2009
    Right here
    Ratings:
    +401 / 0 / -0
    Plus the stick on ones can go on the inside of the wheel, out of sight.

Mark

4. goaljnky

goaljnky New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Ratings:
    +394 / 0 / -0
    Or slightly out of the way of the brake caliper if your clearances are a little too tight. Ask me how I know about that. :cornut:

5. Nitrominis

Nitrominis Banned

May 9, 2009
    Doing nothing
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Ratings:
    +61 / 0 / -0
    You really need a small postal scale to be able to cut the weight to get the right needed weight. So getting a basic stick is all you really need. The imprinted weight amounts are nice but really less use full in the end. I prefer the thinner weights. The only drawback is it takes more of them.

Jim steel rims usually use that style and some aluminum wheels.Stick on weights are used more often now. There are even chrome weights for polished wheels.

6. Nitrominis

Nitrominis Banned

May 9, 2009
    Doing nothing
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Ratings:
    +61 / 0 / -0
    Doing a good balance does not always allow for the weights to go to the inside out of sight. It all depend on the center hub and relation to offset. This goes back to the discussion of what type of balance is better(easier). knowledge will afford you the bubble balance method if done correctly.

One thing to mention about balancing.....when having your tires installed be sure the technician uses the balance information on the tire to mount the tire correctly on the wheel. This will insure the least amount of balancing weights are used to correct. There are even more complicated tricks to do with the wheel stem prior to the tire install to also reduce the amount of correction via weight needed. After all what good is a light set of wheels if you just add weight to them??:lol:

7. lotsie

lotsie Club Coordinator

May 5, 2009
    Right here
    Ratings:
    +401 / 0 / -0
    Had that happen to me once, weights all over the wheels, lots of them, took the wheels to a better installer, way less weights.

Mark

8. goaljnky

goaljnky New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Ratings:
    +394 / 0 / -0
    Well, I actually have one of those. It is about time I actually had something on hand and not have to buy it. :D I even keep it in the garage.

9. rkw

rkw Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    San Francisco
    Ratings:
    +449 / 0 / -0
    I don't dispute that the balance deteriorates over time. However for my driving style and conditions, it seems the balance generally remains "good enough" that I haven't felt a need to rebalance before the tire wears out.

The only times I had tires rebalanced were not from necessity but because it was a free service from the shop I purchased the tires from (like Discount Tire as bee1000 mentioned earlier). It made a difference although not enough that I would pay for it. Maybe the best strategy for Jinky is to simply purchase tires from a place that includes free rebalancing.

10. Nitrominis

Nitrominis Banned

May 9, 2009
    Doing nothing
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Ratings:
    +61 / 0 / -0
    Then you are one that takes care of your tires i.e. checking tires pressure frequently and adjusting them properly, watching for tread pattern wear etc...
    The convenience of personally owned bubble balancer is for those that do spirited weekend drives, occasional or regular track days which does effect the wear pattern and ultimately effects the balance.
    The shops that give free wheel/tire balance are not generally offering frequent checks by the same customer.

11. goaljnky

goaljnky New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Ratings:
    +394 / 0 / -0
    Update:

So I finally went out and bought the tire balancer. $69.99 from Harbor Freight down the block from me:

[​IMG]
    Portable Wheel Balancer

Also picked up some none marring scrappers to remove the old wheel weights:

[​IMG]

4 Piece Nonmarring Scraper Set

and of course some 1/4 oz wheel weights:

no pic / no link

Had all four tires checked and rebalanced in about half hour. Two wheels were still true. One required 1/2 oz added to existing weights. Fourth wheel had weights removed and 1.25 oz added to re-balance. I have yet to test this on the road since miraculously our front gate broke, but as it stands right now I have saved about $30 and an hours worth of my time by not having to go to a tire shop.

If anyone decided to do this themselves, a word of advice. My wheel/tire combination was too lite to compress the springs and get the wheel centered. I ended up using my hubcentric rings, so just something to look out for.

12. Dr Obnxs

Dr Obnxs New Member

Jun 11, 2009
    A Man of Wit and Charm! (Just ask my wife!)
    Woodside, CA, up in the hills and trees.
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Cool!

FYI, look for an industrial spring supplier and swap out what's on there for a softer spring and you will be good to go in the future.

Matt

13. BThayer23

BThayer23 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Civil Engineer
    Durham, NC
    Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
  14. goaljnky

goaljnky New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Ratings:
    +394 / 0 / -0
    Got to drive the car today. The shake I had is gone. 110 felt like I was driving on glass. Really happy with the results. Noticed the same issues as the tarheels guy, although I did not find them as perplexing.

15. Rally

Rally New Member
    Motoring Alliance Founding Sponsor

May 5, 2009
    Ohio
    Ratings:
    +50 / 0 / -0
    Easy DIY tire balancing: Tire Balancing Products :Thumbsup:

(sorry if this was already discussed in here...I didn't see it on my scan through the thread)

16. goaljnky

goaljnky New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Ratings:
    +394 / 0 / -0
    I remember someone posting that on Sewing site back in the day and there was a discussion about it, although I don't recall if anyone has tried it. Are you using it?

17. Nitrominis

Nitrominis Banned

May 9, 2009
    Doing nothing
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Ratings:
    +61 / 0 / -0
    There was a similar product through J C Whitney "back in the day" in high school I got a 4 set. They worked well for as much as I knew about cars than but the first block or 2 the tires shock until the beads evened out. Now to be clear that was waaaaaaayyyyy back in the 70's so I am sure the products of this type have changed?

Jerry nice to see the balancer working out.:Thumbsup:

18. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    We had a Sears upright washing machine that used the same principle with steel balls in a hollow tube ring to balance the load during the spin dry cycle. You could always hear those balls "ringing" until they achieved balance, then they were silent.

19. Rally

Rally New Member
    Motoring Alliance Founding Sponsor

May 5, 2009
    Ohio
    Ratings:
    +50 / 0 / -0
    No, not personally. I've heard great things about it and have been meaning to give it a try.

20. rkw

rkw Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    San Francisco
    Ratings:
    +449 / 0 / -0
    I hadn't heard of balancing beads until recently, and became intrigued as I looked into it. People who use it (some for years) swear by them and I actually didn't find anybody unhappy with them, which is saying a lot. They might be just the right thing for goaljnky because they self adjust as the balance changes. I think people are just uncomfortable because it is so radically different from traditional balancing techniques.