Brakes Wheels 1st Gen Tires DIY tire balancing.

Discussion in '1st Generation: 2002–06 R50, R53 & 2004–08 R52' started by goaljnky, May 14, 2010.

1. Dr Obnxs

Dr Obnxs New Member

Jun 11, 2009
    A Man of Wit and Charm! (Just ask my wife!)
    Woodside, CA, up in the hills and trees.
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    They may work...

but the explanation as to why doesn't make any sense. They claim that when the wheel is out of balance, the axis of rotation moves towards the heavy part and the lighter side moves away from the axis of rotation. But if you look at the forces in play, the axis of rotation will move away from the heavy spot (higher centripital acceleration at the higher mass) and it should have the oppisite effect!

I'll have to think about this one some more.....

Matt

2. goaljnky

goaljnky New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    LaLaLand, Left Coast, Overpopulated and Underfunde
    Ratings:
    +394 / 0 / -0
    Here are the questions I have on the beads:

Since they don't stay in place, does that mean the tire becomes unbalanced every time you come to a complete stop, or slow down bellow a certain speed? How well will they work for those of us with heavy traffic commutes?

Also, if you look at the vehicles they discuss on the website, they seem to be mostly tall profile tires. Are these less effective on lower profile rubber? I don't see why they would be, but the thought I would ask anyway.

In either case, I have not problem balancing my wheels the old fashioned way.