Brakes Wheels 2nd Gen Tires Do I need a BBK?

Discussion in '2nd Generation: 2007+ R55 through R61' started by david in germany, May 28, 2011.

Tags:
  1. david in germany

david in germany New Member

Dec 15, 2010
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Well you all know I drive the mini on the autobahn daily and have been happy with my stock brakes BUT.. I am developing hot spots on my rotors. I have the JCW brake ducts and am running TSW slotted rotors and EBC red stuff pads (never had any issues stopping). How bad is it to have hot spots on your rotors?
    They do have a little vibration at the moment while hard braking.
    If I do go with a BBK I do not want to use studs and I would prefer to still be able to use my 16" winter wheels.
    What do you all recommend?
    :(

2. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    Explain "hot spots".

3. david in germany

Dec 15, 2010
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Darker spots from heat on the rotors.

4. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    Sounds like you have been stopped with the brakes on when they are hot. This will not be fixed by any parts. You need to try and allow the brakes to cool down before sitting stopped with the brakes on.

Sometimes you can scrub these deposits off with a few hard, aggressive applications of the brakes with an abrasive race pad.

5. david in germany

Dec 15, 2010
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Don't know if this shows what I meant.
    [​IMG]

6. Vollgas

Vollgas New Member

Dec 22, 2010
    Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    It is possible that the rotors are warped.
    That would explain the vibration or pulsating when stopping.
    To me, brakeing is the most important component of a car.
    Since you have installed the ducting, you might as well go with the BBK.
    I installed Wilwoods, 12.8" x 1.25" drilled rotors as well as the 4 piston Dynalite calipers.
    When I say WHOA. it stops.
    No fade or pull.

7. david in germany

Dec 15, 2010
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Will they clear a 16" wheel?

8. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    I doubt it. As has been discussed countless times, a BBK will not give you better braking or reduce the braking distance. Tires will have more to do with stopping distance. A BBK will only allow you to push the brakes for a longer period of time as they will be able to handle the heat for a longer period of time. Of course with the right pads and rotor you can get similar results with the stock calipers.

I doubt they have warped. Have you been stopped with the brakes hot? Still looks like pad material cooked on the rotors.

You might try having the rotors resurfaced if they have enough material left to do so.

9. david in germany

Dec 15, 2010
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    I really think the spots are glazing from heat. As I do drive pretty fast at times (autobahn) I think I will run these till their time is up and go with a Dyna Pro Radial Wilwood 12.2 kit.

10. Vollgas

Vollgas New Member

Dec 22, 2010
    Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    Good choice of BBK.
    The 12.2" are a great setup.
    You shouldn't have any problems using your 16" wheels.
    Make sure you get the SS brake lines.

11. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    Funny how folks will ask a question and all the while they have already made up their mind on what they want to do and all they are looking for is an affirmation for their decision.

You never did answer my question about your use of the brakes. Simply driving on the autobahn is not going to cause the problems you have described and getting a BBK is not going to solve it either.

But it is your money.

12. david in germany

Dec 15, 2010
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Sorry man but i didn't see a question from you that I didn't answer.
    My use of brakes is normally very light (set the cruse control for my hour drive and hit them when I get off of the autobahn). Sometimes I do run pretty fast in the left lane and have to get on them hard because of other drivers not paying attention of the fast mini coming from behind.

I did not have my mind set but after reading alot about "hot spots" I determined (with your input) that I needed to keep them cooler so in my case I feel that I need more rotor to dissipate the heat.

From what I have read resurfacing the rotors is only a temp fix as the hard spots created by the heat are deeper than just the surface. Harder metal wears slower than softer metal so the "high/hard" spots will just return.

The pulsating that I feel is not a warped rotor but those above mentioned high/hard spots. The only way to get rid of them is to replace the rotors which are TSW slotted rotors and the pads are EBC redstuff pads.

Did I miss anything?

13. Batrugger

Batrugger New Member

May 13, 2009
    Soldier
    Hesperia, Ca.
    Ratings:
    +92 / 0 / -0
    I lived in Germany for 3 1/2 years and spent a lot of time driving on the autobahn. Except for the speed that you are allowed to maintain, it is hardly a performance driving environment and would really not stress the brakes anymore than the average freeways here in the U.S. You should not be generating large amounts of brake heat unless you are driving on tight twisties and that does not describe the autobahn.

14. david in germany

Dec 15, 2010
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Twisties between Garmsish and Oberammergau were killed last week. ;):cornut:

15. Batrugger

Batrugger New Member

May 13, 2009
    Soldier
    Hesperia, Ca.
    Ratings:
    +92 / 0 / -0
    Well there you go. I would hardly call the mountain twisties near Garmisch the autobahn. I really do miss that place. I just wish I had something a little more powerful than a 998cc Mini Mayfair when I was there.

16. david in germany

Dec 15, 2010
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Yes it was nice but I must say, the hot spots have been on the rotors for a while now. Last week wasn't the cause.

17. david in germany

Dec 15, 2010
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    I found a full set of JCW Brembos for 1k. Guess I will need to find some 17" winter tires as well or swap the OEM brakes back on for the winter.

18. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    Better be careful as these have been found to not hold up to track day use.

19. david in germany

Dec 15, 2010
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    I doubt I will ever track the car. I think for daily autobahn it will be fine though. Anyways I appreciate your input.