Exterior 2nd Gen Most liked posts in thread: Door panel removal and Exterior handle replacement

1. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    Wow! Nice job on the "How To". And here I thought those were simple plastic covers that snapped over the stock door handles. I will have a much greater appreciation the next time I see these handles on a MINI.

Looks sharp:yesnod:

And yes, let's start filling up the library with more "How To's" ;)

2. Steve

Steve Administrator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator

Apr 23, 2009
    Maryland, USA
    Ratings:
    +3,166 / 0 / -0
    This is an excellent how-to and moreso because it's multi-purpose. It's also useful to folks who aren't trying to replace the exterior handles but still can't figure out how to get at other things in the door area. Well done Ron! :Thumbsup:

The Library does need more content to make it a first class reference library. Everything there is good; more would be better. As Ron says, you may send ready articles to me (pm first and I'll tell you what to do). However, if you would like to build it yourself just let me know and I can set up a dedicated Library Gallery section for your article as well as answer any questions. One HUGE benefit to assembling an article directly within the Library is the software allows you to build it as a draft (just need to find and click the right box), so you can work on it a bit and then save it so you can come back to add/edit later and "publish" when you're done. The benefit to this is it saves you having to work on it elsewhere and then rebuild and reformat it as you transfer its content to the Library. A very cool feature IMO.

Back to the thread topic, one question for you Ron. From the pics it looks like you started the project with your windows already all the way down, but one step says "Lower window adjusting height until window glass thru bolt is exposed." Am I missing something or is this instruction meant for anyone who hasn't already lowered the window all the way before getting to that step?

3. RonsMinnie

RonsMinnie New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Jul 28, 2009
    Sugar Land, TX
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    I should have said "adjust window height until window glass thru bolt is exposed".

With the window in the fully down position, you need to raise the glass slightly.
    I will edit and correct this, thanks.