Engine Drivetrain 2nd Gen S Most liked posts in thread: Downpipes (Catted or Catless)

1. Way Motor Works

Way Motor Works New Member

May 4, 2009
    MINI Tuner
    Atlanta
    Ratings:
    +206 / 0 / -0
    As for the simulator, I don't blame you for waiting. If we look at history how many products have companies released to only redo them a year later cause of problems. Lets see how these work 6 months from now, if they work this will be great. Also another more affordable option may come available.

Don't forget going to a catless DP will increase the exhaust sound by alot more than one with a cat. But a good high flow operating cat shouldn't affect HP.

When we made our downpipe we did put a cat in it. This raised the cost but also found it worked to keep off CELs. But I do admit some cars still get a CEL, usually the newer ones. They seem to be more sensitive. The Catless option would be alot cheaper to make and sell.

Either way I'd make sure you get it ceramic coated to heat control.

2. TGS91

TGS91 New Member

May 8, 2009
    Sales Dude
    St. Louis, MO
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    That answers one of the big questions. Whats the tradeoff between catless and catted? Not much other than sound. I want a rumble but I don't need the cops interest.

What is your experience on the % of 07's that throw CEL's after a catted downpipe?

Thanks Way!

3. alwzopn

alwzopn New Member

Jul 1, 2010
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Is heat-wrapping a catted downpipe a good/bad idea?