So why are you not outside walking around:eek:ut:

2. PGT

PGT Wheel Whore

May 4, 2009
    Federal Gov Contracting
    Leesburg VA
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Wow, I felt safer in Jamaica than I did in downtown Atlanta. To recap one day downtown:

1) we nearly got mugged walking from Underground Atlanta to CNN Center. I saw the tail coming across from the street behind us and the lead guy from in front. I eyeballed him to let him know we knew what was coming and had my Emerson in hand. He tried to start a conversation and I said 'no thanks'. He screamed back 'what's a matter, you don't like BLACK PEOPLE??'. :shocked: No, not the issue but I'd prefer to get out of this without having to cut you, that's all. :cornut:

2) later that afternoon, we got off a bus just north of Underground Atlanta and World of Coke, coming back from the Carter Library (excellent) and we should have known we were in trouble since the Starbucks was pulling down the chainlink fence over the windows....4pm = closing time. :eek2: My wife and I were walking back to the parking area and a bunch of brothers were outside listening to music (dozens...like a street party). Cops there too. Some guy put a shoulder into my wife, nearly knocking her off her feet (she luckily was holding my hand which steadied her balance). She said to me 'leave it alone and let's GTFO' and so we did. Dude was trying to get a rise out of me to start trouble. :frown2:

Yeah, we'll never go back to Atlanta, even though we did like Roswell and Alpharetta. We were there for four days on business, only one day in downtown Atlanta. When I was in Jamaica, we rented a private home and were there for a week....lots of trips to the market and local bars and nothing but friendly faces (and people say JA is dangerous...not nearly as much as Atlanta was).

3. miniconcarne

miniconcarne New Member

May 5, 2009
    Machinist
    Home
    Ratings:
    +38 / 0 / -0
    Blows? Wait what?

Never been to Atlanta, but in Dallas are some of the nicest people/"folks" I've been around. Maybe I was lucky or biased (born and raised Texan), Oakland on the other hand...

4. lotsie

lotsie Club Coordinator

May 5, 2009
    stagehand/part time detailer
    Right here
    Ratings:
    +401 / 0 / -0
    Folks were very friendly in Dallas:D But when all you have is your feet to get around for a few hours in the center of a city, first impressions make a difference. I'm here for work, which for a stagehand means at least 14 hour days, so a quick lunch,even faster dinner is in order. I have scoped out places, and it looks good for here. Dallas, not so good. Next city, we will see:lol:

Mark

5. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Just didn't hit the right places for quick stuff I'd imagine. I know you asked me but I live north of the city and frankly don't go down there much at all. Now if you would have taken my advice and registered on MM.org and asked you'd have been flooded with ideas.

Along those lines you should seek out the MINI Club for the area you are headed to next, we have a pretty good directory of them under the Clubs drop down here, join the forum for the club and what are the best places for the area you will be.

6. StLouieLo

StLouieLo New Member

May 5, 2009
    RN
    Midcoast
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    #7 StLouieLo, Jun 17, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2009
    There's no place like home, there's no place like home:yesnod:;)

And,personally, I've never turned down giving a fellow MINI owner a tip or 2 about St Louis when they've been in town. In fact, I've gone out of my way to meet up with them & have made many great friendships over the last 6 1/2 years of owning MINIs:cornut:

7. MININIGEL

MININIGEL New Member

May 4, 2009
    Teacher/Coach
    Texas
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I have spent time in Atlanta MANY times! I have friends who live there as well. They LOVE living there, but they all live outside of the city! When you were here in Dallas, you should have hit the West End or AAC area! I love Dallas, hate the heat/humidity (even after growing up in Myrtle Beach SC)! I've lived in this area for about 18 years now and am still not used to the heat! BUT...Dallas rocks! Have never been very impressed with Atlanta! You should have taken Nate's advice!:frown2: We have a HUGE, DEVOTED MINI club!!!:cornut: I hope you'll try us again!!:D

8. Commander Dan

Commander Dan New Member

May 13, 2009
    Medical Equipment Service
    Alpharetta, GA
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Sorry you had the rough experience here in ATL. I live "up" in Alpharetta, we NEVER go downtown, especially at night, and all I can say is, glad you made it out of town OK!!

9. PGT

PGT Wheel Whore

May 4, 2009
    Federal Gov Contracting
    Leesburg VA
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    so, it was not abnormal then? I've been outside the US in many ''unsafe'' areas and never felt like that day in ATL :lol: