Dragon Living, it's not all fun and games but pretty close!

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by TheModFather, Nov 20, 2017.

1. Sully

Sully Administrator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator

Jul 21, 2015
    Software
    Ratings:
    +1,102 / 8 / -0
    Lol - good point, not many folks can "support" cars on both sides of the country. One for work (Truck) and one for play (MINI). Gets expensive flying back and forth!

2. DneprDave

DneprDave Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2010
    Engineer
    Pacific NW
    Ratings:
    +1,721 / 0 / -0
    Could you rent an excavator and level the hill yourself?

3. TheModFather

TheModFather Well-Known Member

May 15, 2012
    11 years in the ARMY, 2 years of being a multitale
    North Denver CO.
    Ratings:
    +5,322 / 0 / -0
    Sully, the increase in price was due to them not wanting to mess with it honestly. It’s a pretty tight space to begin with, and to get all that dirt around to the front of the house where I want it, you only have a 10 foot wide pathway to work with. They just want fast in and out jobs with wide open space to do things their way... This job would be neither!

Dave, I could do everything myself, but at over $400 per day just for the excavator, not counting the 100 gallons of diesel you would burn through every 12 hours, or if something broke, it would get expensive FAST! Not to mention the time off of work, and everything else.

I’m not rich by any means, hell I make a little over $2K a month, and pull less than $500 a month off of government disability. It’s enough to live “comfortably” here with but not enough to go all out on the shop right now. My biggest bill is that BMW, and when it goes I will be HAPPY! That would mean an extra $500 a month in my pocket to put towards the garage.

I’ve also been weighing options on buying another chunk of Dragon Land for the shop, or downsizing my garage goals to a much smaller facility that wouldn’t even support spraying a full car. It’s all stuff to think about. I’ve been living here a year already, and still haven’t focused enough on the shop to justify it. The house is my main goal of getting done right now, and I’m going balls out on our tiny little bedroom... Gotta have that Million Dollar look and feel on my budget, lucky for me I know how to do a lot more than just paint!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    You could always use explosives to clear the back hill. Hahahahahaha

5. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    If you do that wait till the Dragon so we can come watch

6. Goldsmithy

Goldsmithy MINI Alliance Ambassador
    Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Male
    TCB
    Main Street in the land of Oz
    Ratings:
    +1,151 / 0 / -0
    How about renting a garage. Maybe with and option to buy? Maybe rent space in an existing body shop. Maybe the owner would like to have a little extra help? BUT, get your house done first...at least in time for the party you are throwing at the Dragon !!!!!!

7. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    This ^^^^ and maybe we will not be blocked in Fontana this year by all the falling trees on the road and make it to your house for the real party.

8. TheModFather

May 15, 2012
    North Denver CO.
    Ratings:
    +5,322 / 0 / -0
    The house is the main focus right now, there’s several projects that are in the works for the summer... Mostly the greenhouse in the back, and the bathroom remodel, but our bedroom is another big one... Lots of wood work, lots of time, but a big payoff in the end.

I hope the storms hold off from MOTD this year too Dave, last year was CRAZY! It’s bad enough that 28 is still closed right now because of a rockslide that happened in December!

9. Sully

Sully Administrator

Jul 21, 2015
    Software
    Ratings:
    +1,102 / 8 / -0
    That is worth its weight in gold!

10. wmwny

wmwny Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    Male
    Retired
    Piqua, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +2,790 / 10 / -0
    And, make sure that Barry puts your event on the MOTD list! :Devilish:

11. TheModFather

May 15, 2012
    North Denver CO.
    Ratings:
    +5,322 / 0 / -0
    LOL Jeff! My place isn’t nearly big enough for that! It’s just going to be my selected Dragon regulars (Hopefully including you) and even with that, I might have to shuttle people to the house in the back of the pickup from the Sweetwater Baptist Church.

12. wmwny

wmwny Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    Male
    Retired
    Piqua, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +2,790 / 10 / -0
    We are to arrive sometime Tuesday afternoon/evening. Gotta do the Cigar Salon :Cigar: Wed. night and head to the Tapoco Lodge for lunch on Thursday and then cruise around a bit, since the Cooper will be running again by then. :Thumbsup: We're leaving on Friday.

13. TheModFather

May 15, 2012
    North Denver CO.
    Ratings:
    +5,322 / 0 / -0
    Well darn it Jeff! I was actually planning on doing the BBQ Saturday... I’m still not sure on everything though, and we’ve got time to work out the details between all of us.

Either way I still would like for you to come and check the place out, have a stogie on the porch and catch up a bit.

14. wmwny

wmwny Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    Male
    Retired
    Piqua, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +2,790 / 10 / -0

We have to scratch the Tapoco Lodge thingy anyway, so Thursday will be our "out and about" day. We'd love to see your place if we could find it and not get shot at along the way, so maybe we'll be nosing around on Thursday...especially if we don't see you at the Cigar salon Wed. night! :Cigar: Not to worry about the cigars. As you know, I'm ALWAYS pretty well stocked! :Devilish:

Give everyone who comes to your BBQ a shovel...your "landscaping" will be done in no time!

15. TheModFather

May 15, 2012
    North Denver CO.
    Ratings:
    +5,322 / 0 / -0
    Scratching Tapoco off the list? You know how I feel about that! Trust me you’re not missing out on much, the place has gone way down hill.

I’ve still got to get a calendar out and figure my work schedule out for May... I work on the weekend every third week, and hopefully that doesn’t fall over MOTD weekend. If it doesn’t I will be off the majority of the week along with the weekend.

16. wmwny

wmwny Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    Male
    Retired
    Piqua, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +2,790 / 10 / -0
    Barry had confused Tapoco with the HUB, so I guess we'll see how the Hub is instead of Tapoco. MOTD is the first week in May, so I think you'll be OK.

17. TheModFather

May 15, 2012
    North Denver CO.
    Ratings:
    +5,322 / 0 / -0
    The Hub is good! Great coffee, and milkshakes! Just no beer. Wherloom is right down the street though, and they’ve been cranking out mead (Honey wine/beer) since last year, and it is GOOD...
    My schedule bounces around... I’ve got to do the maths...

[​IMG]

18. Sully

Sully Administrator

Jul 21, 2015
    Software
    Ratings:
    +1,102 / 8 / -0
    So you working that weekend?

19. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Hey Rick, if you hear fireworks on your front porch you will know we have arrived . Hahahahaha

FYI we are showing up Monday so we would like to place our order for firewood.

20. TheModFather

May 15, 2012
    North Denver CO.
    Ratings:
    +5,322 / 0 / -0
    Wow, I don’t check in here enough! LOL! Never thought I would say that.

Anyhow, life... It gets in the way of all the interweb surfing... Especially when you live in an area with such limited cell/internet service. A lot has happened since my last check in though.

I bought another car. It’s a 2010 Subaru Forrester base model with more miles than I like but the price was right and Bekah needed something better than the truck to drive after her car crapped out. Hoping to have it payed in full in the next couple months, and have the title transferred over to Bekah because it is her car. The only way we could get it though was for me to buy it, then have her buy it from me. (Beyond horrible credit on her part)

She is getting a pretty sizable amount of money off of the sale of her mom’s estate in a couple months though, so I didn’t really mind sticking my neck out. We’ve also done a lot of talking about what’s happening with the rest of that chunk of change, and I’m proud of her for choosing things that will actually make a difference and not blowing it all on senseless stuff. We talked about buying the lot of land next to mine, and building the garage there, but still haven’t been able to contact the owner. First off though is addressing some of her health issues that have been adding up over the years, and after that is getting rid of my BMW for something more family friendly. Yes my 135iS has to go! I have actually come to resent buying that car because it’s so useless here especially with a family. Sure it saved a bit on my monthly bills making things easier to swallow over the last year, but that’s about it. I’m just glad that 2 1/2 sets of tires and a coolant tank is the only thing I’ve had to put into the car. We are currently looking to get me another Jeep once the check comes in... However the best way to do that is going to be a road trip back out to Colorado this summer in search of lower miles for the pricetag over what can be found here.

In other news:

I am off the work schedule for the entire week of MOTD! And there will be a small BBQ at my place, but I still haven’t had time to plan much. Probably just going to be a bring your own and chill type thing, with the usual shenanigans mixed in.

I also found the local secret “Proving Ground”... A hidden gem of asphalt that the tourists don’t know about, the bikes find it too far out of the way, and the law doesn’t find it worth patrolling. It shall remain a secret though! Unless a few want to tag along for a drive. This Road is supposedly 10 miles, and just as twisty if not more so than the Dragon, but I have also heard rumors of poor pavement conditions in spots... I haven’t driven the entire thing yet, but will by the time everyone gets here. I can say though, that the section I did drive is impressive, and in as good of shape as 129.