Most liked posts in thread: DragonButt

1. colinmini

colinmini Well-Known Member

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +584 / 0 / -0
    When I got my 2005 MINI Cooper R50, the very first day I removed the backseat and mounted a custom rear harness bar and 3 sets of jr. dragster 5 point harnesses for our sons that were 4, 5 and 6! My neighbors thought I was nuts to be tearing apart my brand new car. A couple of years later, we drove 14 hours to Disney in the MINI! (Not my wife, she flew! Lol). 14 years, 160k miles, 12 MOTD’s, all the MSSD, track days, autox’s and 28 years of marriage, we all are still going strong!

2. wmwny

wmwny Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    Male
    Retired
    Piqua, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +2,790 / 10 / -0
    While the TOTD and its brutality is the main reason most people go to MOTD, there are lots of other drives that are not so hard on a pregnant woman's body...especially when she is so far along. My favorite drive other than the TOTD is the approx. 50 mile long Cherohalla Skyway, with its sweeping curves and scenic resting points to view the surrounding beautiful scenery. If you have never driven it, it lies between Robbinsville, NC and Tellico Plains, TN, and is a pretty up and down drive...starting down, and traveling up the mountainsides to the top and then going back down the other side. The roadways are spacious and the drive is smooth but not boring.

3. 2013jcwmini

2013jcwmini New Member

Apr 18, 2019
    Male
    Charleston, SC
    Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    I'm not familiar with this. You just put it on your ass after a long motorcycle ride? Like, baby powder?

I would really like to know the back story of how my car got "Dragon Butt" written on it. If I ever find out, I'll let the alliance know. If anybody in the northern, or midwestern US knows of someone who traded a Chili Red 2013 JCW to CARMAX back in the tail of of 2017, send them on here to see if they know the story of the name "Dragon Butt."

4. 2013jcwmini

2013jcwmini New Member

Apr 18, 2019
    Male
    Charleston, SC
    Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the welcome! I was planning on taking her up again this year. However, plans got derailed a bit when my wife got pregnant. No matter how much convincing I try to do, her doctors are opposed to letting a 8 month pregnant woman get whipped around 318 curves at a spirited pace. I did go last year for the first time and had a blast. Met a bunch of great folks. Swapped knowledge with other MINI enthusiasts. Besides being cool little cars, the MINI community is really the heart of MINI culture.

Here's a picture while I was parked at the lodge.
    IMG-1832.JPG

Earned my first badge!
    IMG-1737.jpg

5. Goldsmithy

Goldsmithy MINI Alliance Ambassador
    Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Male
    TCB
    Main Street in the land of Oz
    Ratings:
    +1,151 / 0 / -0
    "My neighbors thought I was nuts to be tearing apart my brand new car." I know the feeling. In 2015, I bought a 2005 R52 S with stupid low miles. The next day, after changing the 10-year-old run flats (still had the original nubs) I went to the Dragon and that was the start. Thanks to Chad (DT) Colin (Green Performance), Jan (Rmw), Zach Ta, Dave O., and Mworks garage, I have ended up with a car that is fast, extremely fun to drive, safe and with no problems. It now has 29,750 miles and will probably be for sale in the fall due to medical problems. Boy, has it been a fun ride...

PS I have to give my wife credit for staying with me through probably 60 cars, countless late nights in the garage, absences, And a host of other 'stuff' for 46 years. We have keepers Colin

6. colinmini

colinmini Well-Known Member

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +584 / 0 / -0
    I need Dragon Therapy so bad! And can’t wait to be with my MOTD Family too!

7. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Cherohalla Is a great run and lots of people like it more that the Dragon.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  8. Sully

Sully Administrator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator

Jul 21, 2015
    Software
    Ratings:
    +1,102 / 8 / -0
    Yea - that’s a hard one. I had a Remus exhaust on my VW Corrado and loved it. In my case I had a 3” exhaust that was put on by the previous owner. He stated he lost 7hp when he put it on. That said, the main reason I changed it was the horrible drone even with a resonator. I will be doing Dyno runs to track the difference. I had planned to do those this week but my buddy with a Dyno isn’t available. So I will change it before the dragon and the have to swap back at some point for the Dyno comparison.

Here is a link to the post regarding the exhaust I chose..
    Exhaust - I chose

9. 2013jcwmini

2013jcwmini New Member

Apr 18, 2019
    Male
    Charleston, SC
    Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    Thank you! I do try to keep the car in good shape. She looks better now that I've spent the last few days prepping for an upcoming car show.

10. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    Yes lots of nice rides in the region. I don't see the dragon itself as brutal. A lot depends on driving style, if you drive like a brute it can be brutal. If I drive it like a rally stage my wife cries uncle & reminds me we are not on a rally stage justa open public road in a car without a cage, no helmets & no 5 point harness'. If I drive my smoothest while still carrying speed she is fine. ;)

If you are stupid on the dragon then yes it is brutal. Look at the tree of shame for evidence of that.

My take is I wouldn't take my wife if she was expecting & sooo close. There is always next year.

2013jcwmini, welcome to M/A

11. 2013jcwmini

2013jcwmini New Member

Apr 18, 2019
    Male
    Charleston, SC
    Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    Our local MINI Club president recommended Cherohalla to us. He said it was one of the best cruises to take even if you don't take an organized run. Depending on how everything goes in the next year, we may do this one. That or I may go up there alone. We'll see.

12. wmwny

wmwny Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    Male
    Retired
    Piqua, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +2,790 / 10 / -0
    The stock system is OK, but does not sound like you are driving a sporty car. If that matters, then a catback system is something you might want. As a Gen 1 owner, I have a Milltek that I swear by. they are pricey, but the cost has more than evened out since installing the exhaust 12 years ago.
    Whatever you get, make sure it is of good quality [like S/S] as well as durability, because our lowered cars DO take their knock on the roadways.

13. 2013jcwmini

2013jcwmini New Member

Apr 18, 2019
    Male
    Charleston, SC
    Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    Thank you for the recommendation. I'll definitely going to take a listen to the Milltek. As of right now, I'm not 100% sure what I'm going to go with or what my financial situation is going to look like when my son is born. I doubt I will ever seriously track the car, but I can't stop thinking about things to squeeze just a little more horses out of that little engine.

14. Sully

Sully Administrator

Jul 21, 2015
    Software
    Ratings:
    +1,102 / 8 / -0
    Yea - would be interesting to know the story behind it for sure. Maybe someone at MOTD will know. :D

15. Goldsmithy

Goldsmithy MINI Alliance Ambassador
    Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Male
    TCB
    Main Street in the land of Oz
    Ratings:
    +1,151 / 0 / -0
    Doctors have to get their priorities right. Jeez... Anyway, good looking JCW and you know...it's the fastest color. Welcome, and we'll see you next year. May everything go well with the birth.

16. 2013jcwmini

2013jcwmini New Member

Apr 18, 2019
    Male
    Charleston, SC
    Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    I give my wife credit all the time. After she said I couldn't buy a GP, she ended up picking this one for me. Speaking of the Dragon, when we were leaving our home. She seemed astonished that we fit all our luggage and supplies in the JCW and she said, "All this stuff and the spare tire is there too." I replied,"What spare?" She recoiled, "You're telling me we're going to race around mountain turns in the middle of nowhere with no spare."

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  17. wmwny

wmwny Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    Male
    Retired
    Piqua, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +2,790 / 10 / -0
    Nice looking JCW! Welcome to M/A, too! :Thumbsup:

18. Sully

Sully Administrator

Jul 21, 2015
    Software
    Ratings:
    +1,102 / 8 / -0
    First welcome to MA - very nice MINI. Sorry you won't make MOTD this year but there will be others. Can't wait to see this one in person... great pics. Now back to putting on my new exhaust. :D

19. 2013jcwmini

2013jcwmini New Member

Apr 18, 2019
    Male
    Charleston, SC
    Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    Thank you! I appreciate you taking the time to look. What exhaust are you going with? I've been on the fence about taking the stock system off and going with the Remus exhaust with the little push button flap. I think it sounds a lot better than the stock JCW, but don't know if it's ultimately worth the money just for "sound."

20. wmwny

wmwny Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    Male
    Retired
    Piqua, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +2,790 / 10 / -0
    I drive it alone, although each year there is an organized drive at MOTD. Alone, however, you can take your time or set a blazing pace...it's all up to you. In Tellico Plains, you can pull off and dine along the river.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List