Drain plug magnets are really important

Discussion in 'Engine & Drivetrain' started by MrDimple, May 9, 2009.

1. k-huevo

k-huevo Club Coordinator

May 6, 2009
    Pipe Creek, Texas
    Ratings:
    +159 / 0 / -0
    Way off topic:lol:, I'll take the reply to P.M.:smilewinkgrin:

2. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    I would like to know about the MTF-94 also.....what brand do you use?

3. AllBlack05S

AllBlack05S New Member

May 18, 2009
    Selling Harley parts worldwide
    Bartlett, Il
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    10 micron oil filters crap now I have to find a 5 micron that will work. I had no idea the filters in my car let so much crap through. Back on topic H-D twincam motors (current since 1999 use 5 micron filters and magnetic drain plugs. So yeah I think they're worth it. (now to add this to the list of things to buy for the cars)

4. PGT

PGT Wheel Whore

May 4, 2009
    Federal Gov Contracting
    Leesburg VA
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    I've got an '08 Impreza STI. What do I need? engine/diff/tranny?

5. MrDimple

MrDimple New Member
    Motoring Alliance Founding Sponsor

Apr 26, 2009
    Creating Dimple® technology
    Waxhaw(Charlotte)NC, USA
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Guys, Richard here again. I would like to thank everyone who purchased Dimple®Super Drain plugs for their Mini's and other vehicles. For a special treat, I have a couple of pictures sent to me by Nathan...The Father to the Alliance! They are pictures of his Dimple®Engine drain plug and his 6 speed FILL plug during his oil change. A picture is worth a thousand words my friends. Keep particles like this from circulating over and over, Your Mini will Love you back!!

Attached Files:

6. MrDimple

MrDimple New Member

Apr 26, 2009
    Waxhaw(Charlotte)NC, USA
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi guys, I just wanted to post some pictures of a customers Gen 2 engine drain plug and his 6 speed transmission FILL plug. Amazing, I know they work well but these are the best pictures anyone has sent me. If the pictures dont post here see them on my web site http://www.drainplugmagnets.comSEND ME YOUR PICTURES AND I WILL POST THEM ON MY WEBSITE.

7. MrDimple

MrDimple New Member

Apr 26, 2009
    Waxhaw(Charlotte)NC, USA
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    To PGT, for an STI I have the Subaru M20 X 1.5 low profile magnetic drain plug, it fit's the STI. We have the M26 main transmission/diff plug as well with the T-REX magnet! the other Gertrag 6 speed drain plug for the trns pan M16 and our new product, just released, the rear differential FILL and DRAIN plugs, low profile. We have everything for you, give me a call for a casual conversation about your needs.

8. Ofioliti

Ofioliti New Member

May 9, 2009
    Professor
    ... always curious
    Ratings:
    +35 / 0 / -0
    Just a quick plug for Mr. Dimple and his wares. He was a pleasure to talk with on the phone (after I screwed up the ordering on his website). We eventually got the "3 for 2" deal worked out.

Delivery was very quick. The plugs look very nice and, man, those magnets indeed are not kids' magnets. Thanks, Richard! :cornut:

9. Professor

Professor New Member

May 4, 2009
    BMW / MINI tech
    Kentucky
    Ratings:
    +69 / 0 / -0
    I wish I would of gotten 3 of these sooner. I just changed the Engine and tranny fluid a couple weeks ago. Oh well I will get them the next time around.

10. M^Cubed

M^Cubed Member

May 24, 2009
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    Stupid question, but, is the 3 for 2 deal still available for forum members? Thanks

11. Nitrominis

Nitrominis Banned

May 9, 2009
    Doing nothing
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Ratings:
    +61 / 0 / -0
    They have not ended the offer yet so mention it on your order or call them. I know this company very well and they appreciate the patronage MA gives them.

12. Tom2112

Tom2112 New Member

Mar 16, 2010
    Stig Substitute
    Sharon, PA
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    As soon as you make one that fits on a Fumoto drain valve, I'm on it! :Thumbsup:

13. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    ......or for the OEM oil temp sender.

Wonder if I should just epoxy on a neodymium magnet to the pan?

14. Tom2112

Tom2112 New Member

Mar 16, 2010
    Stig Substitute
    Sharon, PA
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I think the trick is getting a rare earth magnet that is both strong and not temperature sensitive. Many magnets with loose their strength when exposed to high temps.

15. Nitrominis

Nitrominis Banned

May 9, 2009
    Doing nothing
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Ratings:
    +61 / 0 / -0
    If the oil temperature or coolant in your MINI ever comes close to the magnetic strength field of a magnet decreases the magnet is the least of your worries! :lol:

16. Tom2112

Tom2112 New Member

Mar 16, 2010
    Stig Substitute
    Sharon, PA
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Oil gets hot enough to effect an ordinary magnet every time you run your car. So does the coolant. So I don't understand what you mean.

17. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    Well did some checking and found that the magnets used in hard drives are [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neodymium_magnet"]neodymium[/ame] and the temp range is way above what we might see in our vehicles.

Lets see if I can come up with some way of attaching it to the oil filter canister and see how it works.

18. Ofioliti

Ofioliti New Member

May 9, 2009
    Professor
    ... always curious
    Ratings:
    +35 / 0 / -0
    The temperature of the engine oil will affect the magnetism somewhat, but not enough to render the magnet ineffective (in attracting metallic debris). The Ts at which the magnet fails at doing its job would be Ts at which the engine would be in trouble (>>300 C for the cheap magnets; higher for better magnets). I think that's what he is referring to.

19. Nitrominis

Nitrominis Banned

May 9, 2009
    Doing nothing
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Ratings:
    +61 / 0 / -0
    Dude really??? This is the funnest thing I have heard since the long time belief about placing the Modern day "plastic" cased battery on the ground causes it to discharge?:lol:

And so it is that if you drive in the opposite polarity of North and South that this will also effect a magnets power as well. Cutting fine hairs on this thing about magnets. :lol:
    "magnetization can relax to it's equilibrium value from the 'wrong' direction"

The word we have today is called:

Coercivity

I knew that all those science classes would pay off eventually! :lol:

Oh and I guess we had better all NEVER buy and drive an electric motor based Hybrid vehicle. :lol:

I am laughing about all this concern about the performance level of magnets so please do not take me to serious!:cornut:

20. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Umm...The person did say "ordinary magnet" and such a magnet does lose some of its magnetization as temps increase. Please look up Curie temperature (Tc) or Curie point. Granted the terminal point where a ferromagnetic or a ferrimagnetic material becomes paramagnetic is way beyond a temperature our engines will ever see but there is some fall off as the temperature rises.