Drain plug magnets are really important

Discussion in 'Engine & Drivetrain' started by MrDimple, May 9, 2009.

1. Nitrominis

Nitrominis Banned

May 9, 2009
    Doing nothing
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Ratings:
    +61 / 0 / -0
    Nice find Nathan! :D

2. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0

Thus my concern and related research. I have an email into a supplier to see if they could come up with any concerns for what I want to do.

3. Nitrominis

Nitrominis Banned

May 9, 2009
    Doing nothing
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Ratings:
    +61 / 0 / -0
    #43 Nitrominis, Mar 29, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2010
    We think similar at times. I called and talked to Richard he will have some information to post I trust tomorrow.

DRAINPLUGMAGNETS.COM

4. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0

Why does this scare me.......?

:D

5. MrDimple

MrDimple New Member
    Motoring Alliance Founding Sponsor

Apr 26, 2009
    Creating Dimple® technology
    Waxhaw(Charlotte)NC, USA
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hello again, I am delighted to see interest in magnets surface again here on the forum.

Please remember our faithful Mini's, They are the object of our concerns here. They're new lease on life, an extension of their life. Dimple Super Magnetic Drain Plugs are as vital to a Mini as Plavix and Via... is to us older Druids, spending time nurturing our passions.

I just wanted to relay that for several months now, our Dimple Products feature N45SH magnets. This grade has become manufacturable now and are fitted to all our products! The former high power were the N42SH, for an increase of about 8%.

If any members would have any questions about our products, I would invite them to email me personally at [email protected] for a personal reply which hopefully will answer your questions. Please send me pictures of debris on the plugs as taken from your sump. They will be posted on my site. Magnetic Drain Plugs are my passion and I love to talk to people about them.

Thanks for reading and participating on the Motoring Alliance forum.

6. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    If you are worried the temp of your oil will cause the magnet found in the Dimple products will succumb to the heat our little engines generate you can rest assured it will not happen.

Found this chart...

[​IMG]

Max operating temp is 150C or 302F. If your oil is getting anywhere close to this you have bigger issues.

7. Nitrominis

Nitrominis Banned

May 9, 2009
    Doing nothing
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Ratings:
    +61 / 0 / -0
    The Following User Nitrominis (today)
    says Thank you to
    Nathan For This
    Useful Post:

8. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    I've recently spoken to Richard of Dimple Products and he relayed some information to me about the drain plugs.

The largest supplier of neodymium is China and they have increased the tariff on exports. This will soon cause the raw material price to rise, in turn potentially causing an increase in the cost of the finished product.

There have been some design changes. When first introduced the Drain Plug Magnets included a crush washer. A subsequent design change dropped the washer for an O ring seal. While the O Ring works great, I have them with the O Ring seal on my on car, due to popular demand the design has gone back to the crush washer.

If you have any questions about the product please visit the Drain Plug Magnets site or give Richard a call to discuss your particular needs.

9. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    Still waiting for my combo oil temp sender/magnet........:sad:

10. cct1

cct1 Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,369 / 0 / -0
    My fumoto finally bit the dust...Thankfully it bit the dust in the closed position, but it won't open easily--looks like the lever is bent. Could be worse, could have locked in the open position.

Anyway, does anyone know off hand if they're still doing the 3 for 2 deal?

Also, with the OEM plug, they were recommending replacing the plug with every oil change--I'm assuming everyone is reusing the Magnetic plug?

11. Ofioliti

Ofioliti New Member

May 9, 2009
    Professor
    ... always curious
    Ratings:
    +35 / 0 / -0
    Not sure if there is still the 3 for 2 deal. The plug came with two copper washers per plug that I presume need to be replaced after each lube change. (As opposed to the oem plug that had the rubber washer that is part of the plug.)

12. cct1

cct1 Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,369 / 0 / -0
    Got a nice pm from Nitrosminis--pretty good chance that deal is still there, with a phone call. I'm going to call on Monday, but sounds like its still available.

13. cct1

cct1 Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,369 / 0 / -0
    Prices have gone up thanks to China...Three for Two deal is off the board, but it's worth the call, he'll still discount if you order three. Threw in some extra gaskets, and a metric measuring tool for good measure, all is good!:Thumbsup:

14. Nics

Nics New Member

Aug 1, 2009
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    So is one or two magnetic plugs needed for the tranny? And if only one plug is needed, which one does it replace? Fill/drain?

Thinking about upgrading the next time I do a tranny flush and oil change.

15. Ofioliti

Ofioliti New Member

May 9, 2009
    Professor
    ... always curious
    Ratings:
    +35 / 0 / -0
    The upper and lower plugs are the same size (if I recall correctly). You could replace only one, but two should be better, yes? :Thumbsup:

16. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Both the drain and fill are the same size. It is a good idea to replace both but if you only go for one then the drain plug would be the one to replace.

17. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    And I might add this. The OEM plugs can be difficult to remove.

Always remove the fill plug first. Verrrrry important.....:D

18. cct1

cct1 Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,369 / 0 / -0
    +1.

That's why it's not a bad idea to get both. If you remove the first plug, it gets damaged, and you only bought one plug, I wouldn't mess around with the second until you have a spare, otherwise you might be up the proverbial creek without the necessary paddle. Might as well get two to begin with and be done with it....