Drive Skippers

Discussion in 'MINIs on the Dragon 11 (May 1 - 5, 2013) - TN / NC' started by kgdblu, May 10, 2013.

Tags:
  1. wmwny

wmwny Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    Male
    Retired
    Piqua, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +2,790 / 10 / -0
    I have my moments, JJ. :cornut:

2. smurfette26

smurfette26 Club Coordinator

Nov 1, 2010
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    I really like the idea of prepaying for some of the more exclusive (read:smaller # allowed) drives. That forces people to actually consider what they want to do rather than overbook, locking others out, and then showing up to whatever they feel like. By the time we signed up this year almost everything was full and it isnt as if we signed up at the last minute. We were able to tag on to 2 drives because of no shows.

3. kgdblu

kgdblu Active Member

May 7, 2009
    living
    Severna Park MD
    Ratings:
    +69 / 0 / -0
    If I can work it out with Walt, I may extend the # of cars to 20 instead of 15.

4. LostDenverite

LostDenverite New Member

Jul 24, 2012
    C3M Territory
    Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    And if it's a prepaid event, he will know he's covered up front for his efforts. Hopefully that solution will encourage him to participate again, and with the increase.

5. DixonL2

DixonL2 New Member

May 4, 2009
    Supply Chain Implementation Guy
    A bit north of the 'burgh, PA
    Ratings:
    +274 / 0 / -0
    QUICK - someone start the "You're driving too fast/slow on the Dragon/Hellbender, the yellow lines do/don't matter, it's too lame/loud at night, and my R50/53/56/C-Man can outhandle yours" thread!!! :lol:

(JustaJim, I agee - one of the best MOTD"s ever in that regard, and no wrecks!)

6. Justa Jim

Justa Jim Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    :lol::lol: Glad to hear it was a good and safe this year. How on earth did you all get along without Putterfarm to keep everyone in line?

Jim

7. FranticFreddy

FranticFreddy Drive-N-Eat
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Some Where between here and there.
    Ratings:
    +328 / 0 / -0
    It was little tuff but we managed. But you better be there next time!!! Don't think we can do it two years in a row. :arf:

8. DixonL2

DixonL2 New Member

May 4, 2009
    Supply Chain Implementation Guy
    A bit north of the 'burgh, PA
    Ratings:
    +274 / 0 / -0
    I have no idea! I've actually gotta call him, been up to my eyeballs, even at MOTD when I was supposed to be relaxing I was lading events and getting my car diagnosed and fixed... not that Fontana's cell service would have allowed a call!

9. wmwny

wmwny Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    Male
    Retired
    Piqua, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +2,790 / 10 / -0
    Please call Mark. He's dying to know what you at G4 did. I couldn't tell him, as I did not hang out with G4 this year.

10. maacodale

maacodale Club Coordinator

May 7, 2009
    Maaco Collision Repair & Auto Painting Center owne
    Poquoson, VA
    Ratings:
    +265 / 0 / -0
    I've joined in on 4 or 5 drives over the years simply by showing up at the start times and asking if there was room. There always is. Last year, there was a run to Tapoco Lodge and there was only about half the people showed up.

Prepaying would help, but not sure how to administer that.

11. CHKMINI

CHKMINI Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 1, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,863 / 0 / -1
    As a drive leader I don't want to administer a prepaid drive. The drive time is set, MINI's appear, I trust that all have registered and we motor. If someone wants to join there is always room and I trust that the system isn't being abused. I'm there to have fun.

12. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    I vote for daily donut runs and I don't mean you eat so many donuts you get the runs either. :lol::lol::lol:

13. kgdblu

kgdblu Active Member

May 7, 2009
    living
    Severna Park MD
    Ratings:
    +69 / 0 / -0
    I've already spoken to Barry about it and it's actually easier than you think.
    I'm not trying to exclude late-comers. I just want to make sure that Walt gets the money he's expecting so we can continue to go to the Lodge. There's very little else in Tellico Plains as far as restaurants go. The 2 others I know of have closed. I guess one could do the Skyway each way in one shot, but the food at the Lodge is good and very reasonably priced. I would like to continue to be able to offer the drive.

14. kgdblu

kgdblu Active Member

May 7, 2009
    living
    Severna Park MD
    Ratings:
    +69 / 0 / -0
    I'm there to have fun too. However, it's not fun dealing with a disgruntled restauranteur who felt he was out some cash. I'm trying to prevent this from happening again.

15. CHKMINI

CHKMINI Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 1, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,863 / 0 / -1
    I understand that you had an issue and I'm sorry that you did. Those regisistered for the Donut Run met their commitment and we met our commitment to Richy Kreme because we estimated our group size at 80% of the registered amount because of the early start. It worked out fine for all involved. I don't know how you calculated your commitment to the restaurant but my experience with these types of events is the 80% rule. Just sayin', at 6:30 in the morning I'm not about to start counting people, cars and marking check-off sheets. Let's Motor:Thumbsup:

16. Snooter

Snooter Club Coordinator

May 6, 2009
    Canton, NC
    Ratings:
    +274 / 0 / -0
    I was hoping that having the whole account system where folks could unregister from a event would have help, but obviously not.

It's not feasible for me to have the day drives be prepaid as folks sign up. that would be a nightmare for me.

But this year Sir Tyne wanted to do a pre-pay for his "Dragon Fire Run" since he was having glass blown dragon eyes made for each participant. So I simply showed him how to create an paypal button for his personal account and they provided him with the email address after the event sold out and he did a group email. If day drive leaders want to go this route, I will happily assist them.

I prefer to just deal with establishments that can handle the fluctuation in attendees, but I realize in some remote locations, like the Cherohala, that may not be possible.