MOTD Most liked posts in thread: Driven!

1. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    "I do not speed on any other street or any other of the fabulous twisty roads down and around the Dragon. I do not street race or race on the Dragon."

"The Dragon has many pull over spots to allow me to safely move over and allow a faster driver thru and hopefully visa-versa."

First, let me say that I have plenty of track time under my belt too, I've driven VIR, Watkins Glen, Elkhart, Ponca City, Hallett, Mid Ohio, MAR, Heartland Park and a bunch of other road courses - and I've been on the dragon more than a few times as my daughter lives just south of Asheville, NC., tho I can't say I've done 10K miles on it.

But my point is that you are not driving 30 mph on the Dragon, and tho you can say you're being respectful of the road and others on it, you are NOT driving 30 mph. Or anywhere close to it.

My point is still valid, no matter how many times you've driven a road. Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

I know the realities of that road, I know why people go there - especially in MINIs, Miatas, Corvettes, Mustangs and other sporty or performance cars - it's like you all have decided it's your own personal proving grounds.

It's not.

It's a public road and you guys are breaking the law and endangering other drivers, people who may not be as skilled as you but still have every right to be on that road and have every other driver adhere to the same rules they do.

I also know that my opinion will fall on deaf ears, and you all will keep driving it like it's a road course and to hell with everyone who doesn't agree with you.

Sermon over/

2. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    Good video!

3. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    I dunno, right at the beginning you see the 30 mph sign....and all those motorcycle parts on the tree of shame, and then you hear him going thru the gears and you know he's not doing anywhere near 30 mph....so how is this any different than all those guys who advocate for street racing? those who say they're not hurting anything and so on....

I say, take it to the track if you want to drive corners really fast - and if you're gonna drive the dragon at least try to keep it near the limit. The life you save could be mine.

4. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Speeding is anywhere is going to happen even at the Dragon. That’s what the locals make money on.

5. colinmini

colinmini Well-Known Member

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +584 / 0 / -0
    Dear Dave,
    Thank you about your comment about keeping it on the track! I’ve done 80+ track days, 30 years of autoX and now drive in the ChampCar Endurance series. I do not speed on any other street or any other of the fabulous twisty roads down and around the Dragon. I do not street race or race on the Dragon. That all being said, I have over 10,000 miles on the Dragon over the past 15 years. The Dragon has no cross roads, no driveways and we are all down there trying to be respectful of others, the Dragon, driving within our abilities and NEVER CROSSING THE CENTER LINE. Police are on the Dragon making sure we are being safe, not being stupid and issuing tickets to help remind us of the dangers. Fellow drivers and riders take the time to talk with newer drivers at the ends to help keep each other safe. The Dragon has many pull over spots to allow me to safely move over and allow a faster driver thru and hopefully visa-versa.

The Dragon is a special place. It is a fun public road that locals and visitors have enjoyed driving for years and will continue to enjoy.....with great respect needed every time DRIVEN!

6. colinmini

colinmini Well-Known Member

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +584 / 0 / -0
    Dave, you are correct, this is a public road and not a race track.

Sport bikes found this road back in the 70’s and really pushed this very hard, I have heard of some hitting triple digits. When I first started driving the road 15 years ago, the police looked the other way at speeders, to not drive down tourism I guess, they did enforce the crossing the center line for safety of other innocent drivers. When they started ticketing speeders 10 years ago or so, this did decrease the yahoos and I am grateful for them being there for all our safety. Again, this is not a race track, nor is it a road for sight seeing, for good or bad, this road tends to be for sport bike and sport car enthusiasts. I believe that the people driving it know this. When I happen to see a regular joe on the road, I am respectful of their right to follow the speed limit, use one of the pull offs and enjoy a drink of water and watch some cars drive by.

I enjoy MOTD for more than just the driving of the Dragon. I enjoy visiting old friends, the water falls, wonderful NC & TN friendly people, great bbq and a little moonshine. I am proud of how our MINI Group is one of the locals favorite(the police too) and I’m proud that we have raised so much money for the charities down there(over $111,000 and counting!)

I’m happy to sit down and chat about things while we are down at MOTD.