1st Gen R53 Cooper S Most liked posts in thread: Drivers seat sliding a little under braking

1. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    Is it actually sliding or more like rocking?

2. minintrigue

minintrigue Active Member

Sep 30, 2009
    Banker
    Cincinnati, OH
    Ratings:
    +57 / 0 / -0
    Its not rocking like a rocking chair, but more like if you've almost got it set after adjusting the fore/aft positioning, and then scooting a bit to get it settled. tough to explaing.

3. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0
    If I need to move my seat foreword to throw something in the back seat. Then reposition the drivers seat, get in and sit down. I can hear and feel the seat track lock in position. Then when I drive off, I can feel the seat "rack" a little, and I can feel and hear the inboard track move a little and then lock into position.
    If I do the same thing, but rock foreword and backward a little before driving off, I can hear the locking mechanism engaging and everything is tight with no movement.

I figure it's simply both seat tracks locking in place.

Sound like what you're experiencing?

Hmmmmm.... Let's see,,,, "Seat track strut brace"...... I wonder????? .....:D

4. minintrigue

minintrigue Active Member

Sep 30, 2009
    Banker
    Cincinnati, OH
    Ratings:
    +57 / 0 / -0
    it does sound like what I'm hearing. But it happens a lot even if I don't move the seat again.

5. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0
    Check to see if the seat track fasteners that attach to the floor pan have loosened..... maybe???

6. Onramp

Onramp Enjoy the Hiways of Life!
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Retired, mostly
    Renton, WA
    Ratings:
    +57 / 0 / -0
    I'm with Metalman. Take the seat out and look at it and the tracks. Not a complicated system - you should be able to spot the problem.

7. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    The seats are very easy to get out....just four bolts each.

But don't forget to disconnect the electrical connections!

8. 05r50

05r50 Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Hilliard, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +697 / 0 / -0
    same prob here

I am also having the same thing. I figured it was just because of the law of physics :D. Since my fat rear is belted to the seat, the seat wants to keep moving while I am breaking......

It feels like the left side of the seat rail slipping forward and back under breaking.

One of these days I will pull the seat to see what is going on.

9. agranger

agranger MINI of the Month June 2009
    Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2009
    Project Manager
    Charlotte, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,863 / 2 / -0
    I've got a bit of movement on the right side of the driver's seat only. I've checked the bolts and things seem tight. In my instance, I think that it's just a quirky MINI thing. Yours sounds like a bit too much movement for my comfort.

10. Steve

Steve Administrator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator

Apr 23, 2009
    Maryland, USA
    Ratings:
    +3,166 / 0 / -0
    This would certainly unnerve me. Most seats flex a bit -- esp. the backs -- depending on weight attached to them and forces exerted by the car, but there shouldn't be noticeable movement along the rails unless you're actively pulling the release or immediately afterward as the seat settles into the spot you chose. I put this in the "something's wrong" category and it seems to me if something has loosened there's every reason to expect the process to continue. If something under stress is in the process of coming apart you know it's most likely to let loose when you most need it intact. I'd definitely be out there looking for something loose to tighten or something worn to repair or replace.

Better safe than sorry. :Thumbsup: