Engine Drivetrain 2nd Gen S DSC inactive-why?

Discussion in 'Tuning and Performance' started by thinkinmini, Apr 4, 2012.

1. thinkinmini

thinkinmini New Member

Feb 24, 2012
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    So I just replaced the clutch in my 07 mcs, and that involved removing the subframe, and electric power steering module also. My car started deciding to not play audio, either radio or cd songs, and to randomly turn on the wipers, as well as throwing up a DSC inactive message taking up my whole navigation. I checked the tightness of the ground wires in the driver side engine bay, and even cleaned off some minor corrosion. I did this 3 times, and each time the big message still came on, something like "DSC inactive, hill assist inactive, drive at moderate speed, have dsc system checked by dealer." Is this a result of not yet having my steering angle/alignment calibrated? I checked all the wires running to the driver side wheel to see if i pinched one, and I didn't. The DSC light is the only light on right now and it appears all other systems are normal. I guess my question is, does disconnecting the steering column cause this, and does it go away after re-calibration?

2. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Do you have or have access to a code reader?

It would be good to see if there are any codes or pending codes. It sure would help in diagnosis.

3. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    Here is a guess on my part......
    You pulled the transmission to do the clutch....
    Both wheels have a speed sensor that activated the DSC system....
    I guessing you may have disconnected the sensor or loosened the connection to the sensor and one or both wheels are not reporting in (Gone AWOL). And the ECU is telling you that you have a problem Houston...... Double check the speed sensor connections at both wheels..... And then report back Sergeant.....:D

4. k-huevo

k-huevo Club Coordinator

May 6, 2009
    Pipe Creek, Texas
    Ratings:
    +159 / 0 / -0
    No

5. Way Motor Works

Way Motor Works New Member

May 4, 2009
    MINI Tuner
    Atlanta
    Ratings:
    +206 / 0 / -0
    Yes it can.
    If your steering wheel got turned, or if it is not put back in the same location it was before you disconnected it this could def be the problem.
    From what your describing it sounds like it was off and after you turned it and it broke the SZL module. I suggest getting the faults read, and check the steering angle calibration.