2nd Gen R56 Cooper S Dumb question de jour

Discussion in '2nd Generation: 2007+ R55 through R61' started by Rixter, Jun 30, 2010.

1. Rixter

Rixter Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2009
    Technology Architect
    North of the 49th
    Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    Ok no laughing now but I have a dumb question, besides the windows and the sun roof, is there any way of getting fresh air into the cabin of the MINI (R56) without having to run the fan :eek:ut:

It seems like such a basic 'feature' but I'm not getting it :popcorn:

(Matt I can hear you already)

2. Nitrominis

Nitrominis Banned

May 9, 2009
    Doing nothing
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Ratings:
    +61 / 0 / -0
    This is a good question many do not realize that the fresh air system does not allow a good flow of air without the use if the fan, windows or sunroof.

So plain and simple...No

The vent setting relies on ram air so unless you are driving at a good (legal) speed than the only way to increase airflow into the cabin is with the fan.

And Matt lives in an area Ca Bay Area (there about)that does not get too hot to worry about. :lol:

3. Rixter

Rixter Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2009
    Technology Architect
    North of the 49th
    Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    Nitro, that's good to know. I don't feel quite so dumb :D

4. Justa Jim

Justa Jim Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    This is a question that drove me nuts. I have found that even driving at 75 mph, NOTHING comes through the vent (at least on my MINI) without the fan on.

Jim

5. Sideways

Sideways New Member

May 12, 2009
    Motorer and footwear Extrodinaire!
    Above the Border^^^
    Ratings:
    +37 / 0 / -0
    Sometimes on my R53 I wish there was a way to prevent the air from flowing into the cabin...other than closing the vents completely, I find with the CC unit off the air flows quite freely...

6. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    Yep, the R56 is different than the R53 in that regard, seems that when you shut off the fan it closes the internal vents too. I pretty much always have mine on the lowest speed. I wish the back side windows on the clubby opened, even if only an inch or so.

7. lotsie

lotsie Club Coordinator

May 5, 2009
    stagehand/part time detailer
    Right here
    Ratings:
    +401 / 0 / -0
    That would be great if they lifted a little, same with hatch window on the coupes.

Mark

8. Nitrominis

Nitrominis Banned

May 9, 2009
    Doing nothing
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Ratings:
    +61 / 0 / -0
    #8 Nitrominis, Jun 30, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2010
    I was thinking about this and.....the astro vents are in the rear area and if they are obstructed in any way it will detour a free flow of air. So maybe check to see if there is a clear path to those vents? Maybe it will help?

I tried to find a clear picture of where they are but this is the best I can do. If you look just below the license plate you can see the two plastic vent covers. From inside it is the cover with the grills resembling speaker covers.

[​IMG]

This is the cover from the inside. Sorry no clear picture of the vents.

[​IMG]

9. Rixter

Rixter Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2009
    Technology Architect
    North of the 49th
    Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    My old E30 318is had that. I actually really liked it. It would be a nice feature in any MINI