2nd Gen R56 Cooper S DVD Based Nav/Radio System Dead?

Discussion in '2nd Generation: 2007+ R55 through R61' started by YeloMini, Mar 18, 2014.

1. YeloMini

YeloMini Member

Jul 7, 2009
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    The car is a 07 R56S with roughly 31k miles. It has the factory navigation system (DVD based). Normally when starting the car, the Mini logo appears on the display, followed by the warning, then the radio/map/phone screen is displayed. Recently the car's system seems to be stuck at the Mini logo. The logo appears, flickers, dims, some noise comes from the speakers (just slightly audible), screen goes blank, logo reappears, entire screen files with vertical colored lines and about 15 seconds later the sequence starts over.

I tried disconnecting the battery and resetting the CCC module (by holding both eject buttons and the volume knob). I can hear the system spinning the DVD up and reading it.. It's the same DVD it's had in it for years (OEM). I tried removing both the CD from the audio drive and the DVD map data disc but it is stuck in this indefinite loop.

This happened at the beginning of a 3.5 hour drive and it did this for the entire drive.

Anyone heard of this? Not even Google seems to be able to find anything like this. I found talk of a a black screen and nothing, but not an endless loop of it trying to boot up.

Also the seatbelt warning tone doesn't work properly. It starts to chime when starting, but as soon as the Mini logo hits the screen and flickers, it gets cut-off mid-chime. And once moving it won't chime again when the belt isn't connected like it normally would (only drove a short distance to test this without the belt! :wink:)

So no radio, nav, phone or voice control, can't even set the clock. Seems like one of the car's control modules might have bit the dust.

2. rum4

rum4 Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

Aug 17, 2011
    SC
    Ratings:
    +1,478 / 0 / -0
    No answer here but will bump it up

3. YeloMini

YeloMini Member

Jul 7, 2009
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    Thanks. I have an appointment with my dealer in about 2 weeks and I'll post the outcome if it's not resolved by then.

4. rkw

rkw Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    San Francisco
    Ratings:
    +449 / 0 / -0
    If you had a 1st gen MINI, I would have suggested to check the condition of your car battery. I don't remember seeing similar reports for the R56, but it is worth checking.

5. rum4

rum4 Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

Aug 17, 2011
    SC
    Ratings:
    +1,478 / 0 / -0
    rkw you might be on to something though with the battery. Maybe it does the same thing in the 2nd Gens too. YeloMini is it the original battery? If so maybe the battery is dying as rkw suggested!? Get it checked out might just be that simple.

6. YeloMini

YeloMini Member

Jul 7, 2009
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    It's the original battery. It's kept fully charged on a battery tender every day while it's not being driven. It shows 12.9 volts when not on the tender and the car is shut off. Usually shows 13.9 while driving.

7. YeloMini

YeloMini Member

Jul 7, 2009
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    In case anyone else runs into this issue, it was not the battery (even though it's an original 7 year old battery), but the CCC (car communication computer). It failed and had to be replaced. Luckily it was covered by my extended warranty, otherwise it's a $1400 repair. My dealer had never seen this issue before and didn't know what caused it to fail. They also took care of a recall/campaign on the oil lines feeding the turbo SI M11 05 13.