1st Gen JCW Early year JCW cars?

Discussion in '1st Generation: 2002–06 R50, R53 & 2004–08 R52' started by Professor, Nov 6, 2010.

Tags:
  1. ZippyNH

ZippyNH Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2010
    Pilot
    Southern NH
    Ratings:
    +688 / 0 / -0
    In my buddy's case, it was plug an play...interesting enough, he tried to buy a used one (the syncing of VIN's on the computer parts is whole different story), and it physically did not fit the pug ends...so he ordered a brand new one from mini in Germany...had the choice of pre-programmed or blank...and the dealer said get it pre-programmed...installed it...and he said the difference was unbelievable!!
    I know Mini had said the later computers had more power to monitor things, and make adjustments, and that was Part of the reason of the HP change in 05...along with the coated SC....The gearing change did improve the 0-60 times, but did not affect the HP.
    Turns out his 03 is on it's 3rd computer (according to the mini computer system)...one was changed underwarrenty in early 05 (got the older style unit), and the now this one.
    Interestingly enough the new unit externally looks very different...it appears to be much better built to withstand the heat, vibration, and moisture of where it lives....if you look at the early computers, they are kinda bare and open...the news ones have no circuit boards exposed, and are better sealed to prevent moisture issues.
    This owner had previously tried to get the JCW flash upgrade....and he was told it might not be a good idea on the older computer...they gave him a couple page of printouts about stuff...
    But now with the newer computer....they are doing it no problem....Heck with mods, I think they even recommended it....(love it when they whisper in your ear....:aureola:). But once out of warranty.....what do they have to loose?:D

2. Professor

Professor New Member

May 4, 2009
    BMW / MINI tech
    Kentucky
    Ratings:
    +69 / 0 / -0
    Id hate to know the price of a DME even at employee cost.

3. ZippyNH

Jan 25, 2010
    Pilot
    Southern NH
    Ratings:
    +688 / 0 / -0
    yeah...even discounted it cost a pretty penny! :crazy:

4. AliceCooper

AliceCooper Club Coordinator

Mar 13, 2010
    CT Technologist
    South Florida
    Ratings:
    +123 / 0 / -0
    So..my JCW is early(pre injectors and CAI) and just has the JCW 200 tune. Now if I install 380cc injectors I know the car will run without a tune but I will not get the full benefit of the 380cc injectors because the ECU thinks I still have the 330cc right ? so to get the full benefit of the 380cc upgrade they must be scaled correctly with a tune right?

5. minimark

minimark Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
    Yes, the ECU needs to know it has larger injectors so the durations will be right.

6. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    Not necessarily...........the ecu can adapt to larger injectors if it isn't well tuned from the factory (as is true with most MINI's) and still provide additional power w/o a tune. You will of course get the most from them with a tune.

7. taweber

taweber New Member

Apr 12, 2011
    Electrical Engineer
    Tampa, Florida
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    What? I had Mini of Hawaii install the JCW tuning kit to my '03 MCS back in '05. I have a box with the old injectors! My ECU did get remapped, but it wasn't a custom tune that included the Dinan parts I had added before the JCW kit was available.

8. ZippyNH

Jan 25, 2010
    Pilot
    Southern NH
    Ratings:
    +688 / 0 / -0
    Ok...
    Here is the ifo...
    The jcw engine package got a coated SC (became standard on 2005+ cars), an exaust, and a different tune. The sc had a pulley that was smaller, and a cnc ported head..buy very mild pprt at that.
    In 2005, the jcw 210 package came out, added a cai, and injectors, and a special tune again...
    One thing to note, the 2005+ cars had a updated computer that was a bit more modern...and it was part of the reason, even the stock S cars got a bit of a hp gain (the coated sc that was now stock helped too).
    Older jcw cars could get the JCW 210 upgrade, but the computer stayed the same, but an updated tune was provided to run the 380's....
    I can tell you the differance in the computer is very marked...
    A buddey with an older s had the computer burn out...
    he works st a mini dealer, and rather than get a direct replacent based on vin, they got him the newer one...it is pin compatible...and he said it felt like a different car. He later got the jcw flash....

9. ZippyNH

Jan 25, 2010
    Pilot
    Southern NH
    Ratings:
    +688 / 0 / -0
    So to sum it up....ALL JCW CARS THAT GOT 380'S, SHOULD HAVE A JCW210 TUNE.
    If you have an older jcw that you added injectors to, no tune, you are not fulley updated, and are running subpar....
    Just like a s running 380's, no tune....

10. minimark

minimark Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
    #30 minimark, Dec 11, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2011
    As one who has had the stock tune and stock S injectors, stock tune with 380 injectors, JCW tune with 380 injectors and one with a custom Jan tune and 380 injectors.

The absolute roughest and worst my car ran, and still is, was with the stock tune and 380 injectors.

JCW/MINI/BMW has a reflash that goes with the 380 injectors for good reason.

PS: ...and I now have a custom Jan tune with 450 injectors because I added a Cam and header! Goodness! :cool: