2nd Gen R55 Clubman Most liked posts in thread: Easy, Necessary Mods to 2011 Clubman S?

1. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    1. Ditch the runflats, get real tires.

2. Get a spare, our wonderful site sponsors have neat little spare kits.

3. Ditch the runflats, get real tires. - Just in case you didn't see it the first time.

2. Way Motor Works

Way Motor Works New Member

May 4, 2009
    MINI Tuner
    Atlanta
    Ratings:
    +206 / 0 / -0
  3. HiFi Guy

HiFi Guy New Member

Jul 30, 2012
    Orlando, FL
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    #20 HiFi Guy, Sep 24, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2012
    BMW/Mini recommends a long oil change interval solely to keep perceived costs of operation low to perspective buyers and to cost BMW/Mini less during the 3 year/36K mile free services. This is not in your best interest if you want to keep the car for a long time. When I got my 2009 S Clubman at 22,500 miles, it had been serviced by Mini at their recommended intervals and had deposits that could be seen though the oil fill hole. I changed the oil immediately, ran that for 4000 miles, and changed it again. I see no visible deposits now, but some cleaning is still taking place as the oil has turned quite dark in just 1200 miles. I will change it again at 30,000 miles and most likely every 5,000 miles thereafter, as fresh oil is cheap insurance. Turbocharged engines tend to be quite hard on oil.

The other thing I would recommend is a SN rated oil over Mini branded oil (which is SL rated and was current 2 certifications ago.) Mobil 1 0W40 is approved by BMW (LL01 certified.) 0W doesn't mean it is a thin oil, but it does indicate that it has excellent cold flow characteristics- the oil will flow easily within the engine when the engine is cold or when it is cold outside. Most engine wear takes place upon cold starts, so an oil that flows quickly is a good thing.

As far as the heat shield, it definitely applies to your car. I have read that the hood scoop will deform over time due to heat from the turbo. The shield is designed to prevent this. I have also read that Mini installs the shield along with scoop replacement should the scoop deform under warranty. It is easy to install- put the anchors in the holes in the hood, fit the shield, and use the supplied plastic screws to secure the shield to the underside of the hood. Again, cheap insurance.

4. Jason Montague

Jason Montague New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Jan 5, 2010
    Physician Assitant (retired)
    Sherman,Tx
    Ratings:
    +1,588 / 0 / -0
    :cornut: While you're trashing the Heavy Run Flats, remember that factory MINI light weight wheels weigh ~24lbs each! Get 14-16lbs light after market wheels to go with the light weight non run flat tires and you'll have dumped about 72 lbs of unsprung weight which will improve your suspension performance by a considerable amount. Going the other way and spending money on suspension upgrades will cost more(parts and labor if not done by yourself) and you wouldn't get those nice after market wheels.:Thumbsup:

Jason

5. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
  6. Crashton

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    ^ Correct you are. :Thumbsup:

7. Jason Montague

Jason Montague New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Jan 5, 2010
    Physician Assitant (retired)
    Sherman,Tx
    Ratings:
    +1,588 / 0 / -0
    :cornut: I have OZ Allegerettes that weigh 14lbs each and are very sturdy, unseen pot holes and all. They come in silver, black, and various other colors and the powder coat paint does not chip or flake even after 50kmi on my Margi(08 R56 MCS/JCWm). They're not cheap however at ~ $300 each but then again one gets what one pays for and 50kmi at speed on every flavor of road and never a problem well, I've certainly gotten my money's worth and a tighter more responsive suspension too boot. You may get them at 'The Tire Rack.' Around here(North Central Texas) certain select Discount Tire Stores will get those wheels and good tires installed for one at a discount if one is a member of a local MINI Club. Put one of the old tires on an old wheel and one has a ready REAL spare.:Thumbsup:

Jason

8. rideerr

rideerr New Member

Aug 18, 2012
    Engineer
    Forest, VA
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Jason and Crashton,
    Thanks to you both.

9. DneprDave

DneprDave Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2010
    Engineer
    Pacific NW
    Ratings:
    +1,721 / 0 / -0
    Though heavy, I don't think that the run flats ride bad at all.

I am going to wear mine out, before I switch to standard tires and new wheels. The reason being weight savings, rather than ride quality.

Dave

10. Angib

Angib New Member

Nov 25, 2009
    (Old) England
    Ratings:
    +425 / 0 / -0
    You can also check what the weight of your car's wheels are by using this FAQ at a British Mini forum:

MINI Cooper Forum - MINI2 Mini Cooper Forums - FAQ & DIY: Wheels and Tyres

When researching what wheels to order with my new car, Mini provided me with the following weights that aren't shown on that page:
    17" Conical Spoke Light Alloy Wheels - 10kg (22.0lb)
    17" MINI Yours Twin Blade Spoke Alloy Wheels - 10.1kg (22.2lb)
    17" Infinite Stream Spoke Light Alloy Wheels - 10.8kg (23.8lb)

The ranges of weights of OEM wheels at different diameters makes interesting reading:
    15": 12.0-15.7lb
    16": 17.4-20.9lb
    17": 20.4-25.1lb
    18": 19.8-25.4lb

The odd one out, 19.8lb for an 18" wheel, is from the GP which shows that BMW know to provide light wheels sometimes. But the 25.1lb 17" wheel is the ever-popular S-spoke (sometimes laughingly called S-lite).

11. HiFi Guy

HiFi Guy New Member

Jul 30, 2012
    Orlando, FL
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    As others have said, the run flat tires pretty much suck. My issue with them is that they are very loud, making the interior noisy at speeds as low as 40 MPH. I'll be wearing mine out before replacement, though.

One thing no one has mentioned is a turbo heat shield. They range all over the place as far as price. The one below is inexpensive and is a factory Mini part.

MINI Cooper Retrofit Gen 2 "S" Heat Shield

The only other thing I can suggest (I am new to Minis and still learning myself) is to change the oil at 1200-1500 miles, and then again at 5000-7500 miles and 5000-7500 mile increments thereafter. The 10K-15K increments that Mini recommends are simply far too long for someone that wants their engine to last a long time. Turbocharged engines are very tough on oil and break down the additives in the oil very quickly. Stick with the factory Mini oil filter. it is built very well and is very reasonably priced.

12. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    We've had some good oil change interval discussions here. For the most part people remember that there is a lot of opinion and that if someone wants to change their oil early, it's their money. Just as if they want to change it on MINIs recommendations, it's their money when the engine goes pop too.

ANyway...just a some food for thought here...

Back in March all new MINIs delivered after April 1 have a reduced oil change interval. It dropped from 15K to 10K miles. The engine did not change. The quality of oil did not change. Was it done to placate those that felt 15K or more was too long, or is it a quiet admission that the 15K was just a wee bit to long for this engine.

Just a data point to use in your internal discussion on when to change your oil.

13. rideerr

rideerr New Member

Aug 18, 2012
    Engineer
    Forest, VA
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the info. Looks like these cars are pretty much good-to-go from the factory and that options are truely just that.
    I have bought some vehicles in the past, Moto Guzzi comes to mind, where if you did not go out and make a half dozen or so modifications you would definitely run into trouble, sometimes sooner rather than later.
    I think I'll get the spare tire, but it really only goes on the rear? I know, I read where you do the swap with the rear tire if the front goes flat for certain brakes. Do I have those front brakes?
    Thanks again

14. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    The front doesn't go flat, it may not fit over certain brake packages such as a Big Brake kit or the JCW brakes.

15. Crashton

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    The donut spare will not fit over the front brakes on an R56 or R55 MCS. What you would need to do in case of a front flat is put the donut on the rear & the rear tire on the front to replace the flat. Hope that makes sense.

16. rideerr

rideerr New Member

Aug 18, 2012
    Engineer
    Forest, VA
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Crashton.

It may make sense, but I am still new to some of the lingo here. By a 55 MCS I assume you mean that as a Mini Cooper Sport, so my 2011 Clubman S would be included in the group that the spare tire would not fit on the front? Sorry, but I have been over-trained in verifying exactly what someone else has said.
    Thanks for your input and your patience.

17. rideerr

rideerr New Member

Aug 18, 2012
    Engineer
    Forest, VA
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Jason,

What is a good recommendation for an aftermarket wheel? Something moderately priced that is well made. I'd rather stay with stock than put something on that is not sturdy.

Thanks,

18. rideerr

rideerr New Member

Aug 18, 2012
    Engineer
    Forest, VA
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    O, I will definetly wear min out b4 changing as well. I have been called thrifty, frugal and cheap, they all fit.

19. rideerr

rideerr New Member

Aug 18, 2012
    Engineer
    Forest, VA
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    HiFi Guy,
    Thanks. Actually I had run across the heat shield mod a few weeks ago and bench marked it. I thought it applied, but when no one mentioned it, I thought maybe it not apply to an 11 R55 S. So I was going to by-pass it.
    Not sure what it does exactly, but for a few bucks, I'll do it.
    The oil change interval you recommend I am a bit less certain about. It seems like people have been changing their oil way too often for years, and I am tempted to go with whay MINI recommends. But I certainly would rather pay a little extra for oil than wear down the engine pre-maturely.
    Any other thoughts? Though I know oil threads can be bad on any site.
    Thanks again.

20. rkw

rkw Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    San Francisco
    Ratings:
    +449 / 0 / -0
    Oil turning dark in a very short time is normal. Darkness can't be used as an indicator of the oil or engine condition. You need to have the oil analyzed if you want to know.