Engine Drivetrain 1st Gen Cooper S Most liked posts in thread: Eaton M90 supercharger

1. minimark

minimark Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
    Not sure about the actual fitment but think you would also have to change the ECU either to a S version or a stand alone to support the addition and tune it.....not to mention the clutch, etc... 2 cents

Word is, is that there is a good stand alone coming.... ;)

2. Redbeard

Redbeard JCW: because fast is fun!
    Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Glorified spreadsheet jockey.
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +413 / 0 / -0
    Weren't M90s the superchargers fitted to the 1991-1995 Thunderbird SCs and the Pontiac Grand Prix GXPs?

Both were V-6s I would wonder if the bottom would actually fit and inline 4-cyl.

3. Professor

Professor New Member

May 4, 2009
    BMW / MINI tech
    Kentucky
    Ratings:
    +69 / 0 / -0
    Tried by many back in the day. Not a very efficient way to go seeing as you would need custom mounting for the inlet tube and water pump.

4. Way Motor Works

Way Motor Works New Member

May 4, 2009
    MINI Tuner
    Atlanta
    Ratings:
    +206 / 0 / -0
    You might be able to fit it, but it's not worth it. We had MINIs with the M62 blower that wasn't worth it.

5. drabdub

drabdub Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2009
    Logistics Lead
    San Jose, CA
    Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    thank you guys for the input. i had a chance to get one really cheap but if it wont work im not going to pick it up

6. Nitrominis

Nitrominis Banned

May 9, 2009
    Doing nothing
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Ratings:
    +61 / 0 / -0
    Any project if you have the knowledge,experience and a lot of friends in the business is worth trying. By doing a pre project estimated parts list and what custom fabricated items need to be contracted before you start is a really good way of deciding to proceed or just be content with thinking about wanting to do it! Remember with some extreme car modification unless you are the constructor and therefore the self expert you will not find to many that can help if you ever have a problem to resolve.

7. flynhawaiian

flynhawaiian New Member

Nov 16, 2010
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    The M90 is going to make the same amount of boost pressure as the M45. I would think you need to decide how much boost you really want. Your also going to have to lower the compression ratio for a higher amount of boost.

Why not just twin charge it? Stick a turbo on it. Most drag racers twin charge. That way your getting the best of both worlds.

8. drabdub

drabdub Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2009
    Logistics Lead
    San Jose, CA
    Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    Just to clarify this would be going on a stock 02 non s mini

9. goaljnky

goaljnky New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    LaLaLand, Left Coast, Overpopulated and Underfunde
    Ratings:
    +394 / 0 / -0
    Oh, you just opened a can of worms.

10. flynhawaiian

flynhawaiian New Member

Nov 16, 2010
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Start with a forged block and go from there. Get a full engine management system. I wonder if you can just drop an S54 engine in? I would assume your building it non-street?

11. Nitrominis

Nitrominis Banned

May 9, 2009
    Doing nothing
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Ratings:
    +61 / 0 / -0
    I rarely us the "quote" tool anymore but your response was just....:lol:

Jerry I raise a question to myself if other but the die hard forum extroverts that like to cavil or niggle will post anything other than well-disposed information on this thread now?

12. goaljnky

goaljnky New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    LaLaLand, Left Coast, Overpopulated and Underfunde
    Ratings:
    +394 / 0 / -0
    Heck, I am just waiting for the inevitable "just get an 'S' comments"

13. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Lynn, I applaud your use of polysyllabic and rarely used words but it would be best if when doing so you created a sentence that made sense for others that do not have a dictionary in hand.

14. Nitrominis

Nitrominis Banned

May 9, 2009
    Doing nothing
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Ratings:
    +61 / 0 / -0
    Personally now going on nine years of experimenting, fabricating and modify my 2002 MCS I can say I would rather have begun with a base model Cooper.
    By the time you spend, money and labor a modified Cooper becomes a practical project.

Thank you Nathan, shall we say for the adulation? Ies noe et ya things Ies igorant?