Engine Drivetrain 1st Gen Cooper S Most liked posts in thread: ECU adaptations?

1. Dr Obnxs

Dr Obnxs New Member

Jun 11, 2009
    A Man of Wit and Charm! (Just ask my wife!)
    Woodside, CA, up in the hills and trees.
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Nope...

the adaptation values are the long and short fuel trim. If you have bad 02 sensors, then the car will start to loose gas mileage and a bunch of other stuff under closed loop operation.

Matt

2. btwdriver

btwdriver New Member

May 4, 2009
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    My understanding is that the ECU only uses the first O2 sensor to determine fuel mixtures in closed loop mode. I thought the second O2 sensor, the one that trips the P0420 code, is only used for emissions purposes.

3. Thumper460

Thumper460 Active Member

May 26, 2009
    United States Navy ..Retired
    Ratings:
    +99 / 0 / -0
    My 02 is a dead puppy.. fuel mileage sux and the tail pipes are black... codes are P0130 / P0030 . and the P0420. I clear the codes and the same come back.. this is cool, I still run 135 mph, spank Mustangs and a lot of Rice. The light is on... however all I need to do is fix the O2. SOOoooo... soon , I will.

Seems IF you know the issue ( bad Cat) then fix it... no more lites.. yes??

Just me..................................

Thumper

4. btwdriver

btwdriver New Member

May 4, 2009
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    With those codes it is your first O2 sensor that is bad correct? Could you not just swap the O2 sensors, that would at least allow your car to run in closed loop mode at low RPM's.

5. Thumper460

Thumper460 Active Member

May 26, 2009
    United States Navy ..Retired
    Ratings:
    +99 / 0 / -0
    Good thought! I'll just change out the bad one ( front) when the money comes in... Like I said it isnt running correct... but it still is a fun ride. Thanks.

Just me.............................

Thumper

PS: the occasional Nitrous Hits keeps the chambers and plugs clean..lol

6. jiminni

jiminni Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    Ca.
    Ratings:
    +262 / 0 / -0
    Ok, so in reading the posts following my original post, it looks like with my code, P0420, it is the post cat sensor and should not effect the ECU or performance, as it does not. I am sure my cat is failing, it moves in the can. BTW, it is an aftermarket header.

7. Dr Obnxs

Dr Obnxs New Member

Jun 11, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Our cars...

cook the crap out of cats. If you're gonna go aftermarket, get a good one. I cooked a cheapie in less than a month of driving. I just put the one from the stock header back in....

Matt

8. CarlB

CarlB Active Member

May 4, 2009
    Ratings:
    +54 / 0 / -0
    Who makes a good aftermarket Cat?

9. Dr Obnxs

Dr Obnxs New Member

Jun 11, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
  10. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    I have about 50k miles on a Random Tech cat and it's on it's way out. This is one of the better ones too, we kill these things with modded MINIs.

11. jiminni

May 7, 2009
    Ca.
    Ratings:
    +262 / 0 / -0
    So as we know are talking cats, I have been told that there is no legal way, at least in California, to replace the OEM cat on a Mini. If the cat goes bad you need to buy a new complete OEM header. Not to mention a aftermarket header :crazy: Anyone have a good idea?

Also my car seems to eat resonators. My first Alta resonator blew all the fiberglass out, had access to a new Alta resonator, installed it and with in a week I am seeing fiberglass on my back window :( Steve at CMS bought a muffler and resonator from Coast muffler and they use, "scrubble", as the filler. Scrubble looks like SS shavings off of a lathe that has been softened somehow? You can buy scrubble buy the pound, not cheap at I think $40. per :eek6: But it works. Wonder if you can just go to the local machine shop and buy their shavings :idea:

12. Dr Obnxs

Dr Obnxs New Member

Jun 11, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    In Ca

after some year, 98 or something , I don't remember what, it is illegal to use any but the stock cat on the car. That said, what you will find is that some muffler shops won't weld up the aftermarket cat onto the car because they can get in a lot of trouble. Some places don't care as long as you cash is green. Anyway, either you find a shop that doesn't care, or you take the plates off, and take it in as a "track only" car, or you take in the part off the car.

Now, as far as getting caught, where I live I have never, ever seen a place do anything other than confirm that a cat is in place, and most don't even do that. If it's not there the sniff test will tell.

Matt

13. Jan

Jan Well-Known Member
    Motoring Alliance Sponsor

May 16, 2010
    Ratings:
    +382 / 0 / -0
    It's the M45 that destroys these resonators. Have you ever stood 90deg from 50cal machine gun? It's the pulse wave that acts like a hammer that just beats the exhaust into dust. We don't have any of these issues when running the Rotrex on the car.

14. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    From time to time, the local metal re-cycler has lathe shavings in large containers. The going rate varies based on the metals market, but you can buy this stuff for under $1.00 per pound. And now that you've brought this up, I've seen titanium shavings there as well. That would be the ticket. Higher temp resistance and much lighter weight.:Thumbsup:

15. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    I was at the local metal recycler yesterday and snapped a iPhone pic of their SS lathe shavings (Scrubble). Selling for 1.50 a pound.
    Soooo........ Anyone want to make a muffler?

Attached Files:

16. jiminni

May 7, 2009
    Ca.
    Ratings:
    +262 / 0 / -0
    I'm going to have to do something soon, more and more fiberglass showing up. Wish I would have kept my old Alta resonator, would have cut it open and re-stuffed it.