Engine Drivetrain 1st Gen Cooper ECU tuning

Discussion in 'Tuning and Performance' started by daviday, Mar 27, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    I would still spend my money with Jan and have proven results and support if I add more mods.

2. cristo

cristo Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2015
    Male
    physician
    York, Pa
    Ratings:
    +1,107 / 0 / -1
    I agree. I didn't have as many options way back when I got the Bluefin many years ago, though.

3. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Jan is always at Helix (philly) for about a week every year if you want your car tuned on the Dyno. Not sure when this years date is yet.

4. cristo

cristo Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2015
    Male
    physician
    York, Pa
    Ratings:
    +1,107 / 0 / -1
    Might consider that as now my R50 has a Milltek header and catback and intake, which
    might benefit more from a non-canned tune.

5. daviday

daviday Active Member

Jan 15, 2014
    Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    I've got my eye on something else re. Just trying to sort through a few other things.

6. Sleek Motoring

Sleek Motoring Local Shop Owner

Dec 7, 2014
    Mini repair shop owner
    Colorado Springs, Colorado
    Ratings:
    +143 / 0 / -0
    I am in the process of getting a full setup for my build through Jan @RMW.

Going with anyone else is like having a ukulele and thinking you're playing a guitar...!:D

7. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    So not get a manic tune.

8. c0op3r

c0op3r Active Member

Oct 2, 2013
    Mech Eng and IT
    Orlando FL
    Ratings:
    +133 / 0 / -0
    Since the car is busted this is kinda a moot point but I will put the information here in case someone else is interested.

Tuning Options, that I personally know exist and have had some interaction with:

First - (as Dave.0 loves to say Really Dave give it a rest) RMW/Jan custom tune. This can be done in person or via remote, it can also be done by purchasing the DimSport Programming module or not.

Here is the break down, In Person without the purchase of the programming box, this is the cheapest, but not always the easiest, as you will have to be where Jan is this might be an event, or at his shop. The down side, is that if you do not purchase the programming box, you do not have your original flash to re-install if you need to.

You can organize your own event (I did this here in Orlando) and Jan will fly out if you have enough full paying cars/tunes. I had 13 cars, I will write a How To Organize a Tune Event Soon.

You can purchase the RMW/DimSport Programming box and RMW/Jan can tune from remote, this is not a cheap endeavor, as the DimSport Box (a Slave that can only be used on your car once the original DME Flash is Read) is about 350.oo$, then the Tune itself (between 350 and 500$ last I heard), and of course you will have to book Dyno time to have the information read and sent to RMW/Jan and he will create a file that will be sent back and installed on the DimSport Box and Flashed to your ECU/DME and another Dyno run will have to be done to see the outcome.

I know that on sight tuning took about an hour each car on the Dyno (rough Estimate) Most Dyno's are about 100$ an hour.

When my car was tuned, Jan made me two separate maps, one for with the water / methanol (conservative) and one for without, I was on the dyno for more than an hour, and we made 11 pulls! I also gained 30WHP at the end result. (as they say your mileage may vary).

Way Motor Works - Way in my personal opinion is a good business man that stands behind everything he sells and every transaction. To his Tunes and Tuning Skill I personally can not say anything, about them. Yes he offers Canned Tunes. You Ship your ECU/DME to him and he flashes it to a tune that is has available. This could be a JCW tune or some other modified tune, that is something that you would have to go over with him.

Way will tune in person also at his shop or at events, he is usually at MotD and M&M as well as others I am sure.

Factory JCW Tune: You can get most dealerships now to flash the JCW tune on your car for about 1 hour of shop time. It might actually take more, as your ECU/DME has to be up to date with the latest firmware before the final JCW Flash is installed, but they usually only charge for the one hour total. I have seen this done on several cars and the bang for the buck is actually pretty good, average shop cost is 150$. If you are doing this on an R53 you really need at least the following; JCW injectors, CAI and a Smaller Pulley.

Dont call and ask about this on the phone as you will most likely just be told; no we do not do that, we only install the flash if you buy the entire kit from us and we install it. BUT if you go in person talk to the service adviser and explain the mods and what you want done, you can usually get it done.

Do not expect the world from the factory tune, it is only a marginally hot factory/safe tune, it is good, but can not even be in the same room as a completely custom tune.

Mynes Tuning / Bytetronic - (NOTE I have not used this) This seems like an amazing idea, you re-flash the ECU/DME and it basically becomes a quasi-standalone ECU. Everything I have read though says this can be VERY dangerous as you tune the car yourself, make a mistake and you have a very nice driveway ornament. What I can tell you from personal experience about the Mynes company- I was very interested in the system, I contacted them and asked about the system, I also found out that they have a forum for users of their system. I asked before I bought it (its almost a thousand dollars) if I could have access to the forum to see what real users said about the system, I was told NO! I ask about having read only access I was told NO!

I personally am not going to give anyone 1k$ for product that completely changes the way my ECU/DME works, having heard many negative statements about the system without some real world information. So in the end I did not go with them and personally based on the information and experience with the people that I spoke to at the company would not suggest them at all. I only put this here as it is an option, buyer beware.

Canned Tune / Injectors - There does not seem to be many of these around anymore, but they used to be a canned tune that was pretty aggressive and are not suggest by many people. Again I have no personal experience.

Stand Alone - This is for the person that is going to go all out. Its expensive BUT you can do any and all the mods you want, anyone that has a good understanding of tuning can tune the car. You also get logging and control of add-ons like Water/Meth and Nitrous Oxide. ViPEC is the suggest one for the MINI as it is basically a drop in replacement.

I am sure there are other people/places, I have heard that Precision Autoworks in Miami does tuning, but do not know for sure about this. If I missed something I am sure the other members here will post and let us know.

9. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Nice write up and some good info above. :Thumbsup:

The number one thing anyone should do before thinking of getting any tune from anyone is make sure your motor is in great running shape.

Clean air filter
    Fresh oil at the correct level
    New plugs at proper heat range
    Check your coil and plug wires (OEM)
    New tensioner with the correct belt * if SC'ed
    For all cars a solid Crank pulley
    A full tank of fuel

*Fill the tank with the fuel you run daily do not use race fuel because you want a high one time number on a dyno or you will have issues later whey you fill up at Cosco with 87 octane.

All of these things need to be done and 100% before you get a tune from anyone.

For RMW:
    *You only need the DimSport flashing tool if you plan on changing your tune and putting another one on.

OR

You are having him tune your car remotely

I do not have a flash tool and my car has been great for years (6+). Even when I added Meth to my system Jan updated the tune for me when he was in town.

10. c0op3r

c0op3r Active Member

Oct 2, 2013
    Mech Eng and IT
    Orlando FL
    Ratings:
    +133 / 0 / -0
    I would like to add to this make sure that your tire pressure is correct all the way around, I have actually seen a 20WHP drop for a tire that was 10lbs of pressure low!

Also scan the computer, if it has any codes have whatever the problem is FIXED, dont just clear it and hope the tune makes it better, IT WILL NOT, it will make it worse.

Also Never Never Run 87 Costco Gas - well run it if you hate your car!

Its like the people I meet that buy a really nice gun and spend Cubic Dollars on it, and then run the shittiest reload aluminum casing crap I have even seen through it. You bought a nice car and are paying to have it tuned, treat it nice.

11. CarlB

CarlB Active Member

May 4, 2009
    Ratings:
    +54 / 0 / -0
    I am very happy with My Mynes Tune. Their software gives you access to the MINI ECU. It is possible to screw up your car if you re not careful, but if you do you aren't paying attention. They will also help you with tunes. There are several people who have had problems or are not happy with them, but there are also a lot of people who are very happy. I am one. I am very aware that Dave loves Jan and thinks he is the end all. He has a number of happy customers, and I understand some that are not as happy. Take your pick, there is more than one good answer. There are also some people who are over their head.

12. daviday

daviday Active Member

Jan 15, 2014
    Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    I'm pumped that there were this many quality responses to this thread. A lot of amazing info too. Thank you guys! I think the shape of the motor has to coincide with the knowledge of the tuner. You can't float a tune as lean as possible on something with higher mileage. I know it doesn't work that way. The ease of use with some of these systems is mind blowing though.
    In any event I'm going through a bit of withdrawal as I haven't driven the little thing since October. Hope I can be of more contribution in the near future here though.
    Thanks again guys.

13. docraja

docraja New Member

Jan 22, 2015
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Any recommendations for someone in the Chicagoland area?