1st Gen R53 Cooper S Electrical Gremlins

Discussion in '1st Generation: 2002–06 R50, R53 & 2004–08 R52' started by istara, Oct 11, 2010.

1. istara

istara New Member

May 21, 2009
    Tucson, AZ
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Wednesday night my power steering starts cutting in and out about ever 10-30 seconds. The pump is only 14 months old and is from BBA-reman. I haven't ruled it out yet. I'm annoyed because I have Evo school coming up this weekend, but otherwise, everything else was fine.

Thursday, I head to work and stop off to get gas. As I am fueling up, all the lights on the dash come on, gauges go crazy, and several dash lights are flickering wildly. Note that while this is happening, the car is shut off and the key is in my pocket. Upon attempting to start the car there doesn't seem to be power to the fuel pump. Nothing happens.

I disconnect the battery, I leave the car at the station and after work (6 hours later), I reconnect the battery, see no issues and it starts right up. Still no power steering. Not surprising. I figure it's all a fluke.

I go to the grocery store in a different car. When I come back it seems that the MINI's tail lights are on. Gauges and lights are going crazy again. Now there it sits, battery disconnected and ECU pulled to make sure no water got in. Everything appears to be fine.

The side note on this is that there was a large rain storm Tuesday night and my boyfriend drove the MINI downtown through "about a foot" of water. My car is quite low and this ripped the bumper cover part-way off along with part of the core support (just below the radiator fan on the drivers side). We re-attached the bumper as best as possible and nothing seemed wrong with the car Tuesday night nor Wednesday morning. I figure all this could really have hurt would be the fog lights or the temp gauge or some other non-essential wiring down low on the front end. Am I forgetting anything in that area?

Water also got in to the interior because my rubber seal around the steering column no longer seals completely and water splashed up threw it. All the fuses in the kick panel appear fine. It had all day at that gas station sitting in the sun at 90+ degrees in the Arizona desert drying out before the last time it went crazy.

I hate electrical problems and I am terrified as to what could be wrong. Any ideas on where to start?

2. TATTRAT

TATTRAT Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Oct 10, 2010
    Executive Chef
    NoVA/DC
    Ratings:
    +474 / 0 / -0
    My guess is with the alternator., second guess ECU, third guess is I shouldn't have guessed at all . . .electrical can be so touchy, final guess is moisture in/under the coil pack.

3. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Has the battery ever been replaced?

I'm thinking it's an 04, living AZ where is a bit of heat, if it's never been replaced I'd look there. Some of the symptoms indicate the a battery on it's way south. Would at least put one of those battery tester thingies on it to at rule it out.

4. istara

istara New Member

May 21, 2009
    Tucson, AZ
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Battery was replaced less than a year ago an reads right at 12v (battery #3). It doesn't seem to be the problem.

I hadn't thought of the alternator. I'll try an rule it out. There doesn't seem to be water anywhere near the coil pack.

5. beaner

beaner New Member

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -0
    A "12-v" battery that reads 12-v is actually pretty low. Don't rule out alternator or battery just yet. Get a load test on the battery from your favorite auto parts store first.

6. Way Motor Works

Way Motor Works New Member

May 4, 2009
    MINI Tuner
    Atlanta
    Ratings:
    +206 / 0 / -0
    Not the first BBA rebuild I've seen fail. That's why we only sell the new ones.

7. Dr Obnxs

Dr Obnxs New Member

Jun 11, 2009
    A Man of Wit and Charm! (Just ask my wife!)
    Woodside, CA, up in the hills and trees.
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Not sure if this helps...

the lights are drivin either by the IKE (computer behind the bit speedo or Nav display) or the body control module.

the guages are driven by the IKE.

None of your faults listed are related to the ECU in any way. (there are tons of computers in the cars now, not just the engine computer).

The fact that your rear tail lights AND the dash system both were acting up is a hint, but not a clear one. This would mean that both the IKE and BC module were having issues, and that would mean start with the voltage supplies.

12.0 Volts is NOT a healthy battery. 12.6 volts is what you should read with lo load on it, 13+ when the car is running and the alternator is doing it's work. Start with a load test on the battery, or do a quick swap of batteries and see if all is well. Since the problems are intermittant, it will take a bit to get confidence back. Sucks, but that's the way it is with intermittant problems.

The intermittant and then dead PS pump system is typical of it's standard failure modes.

Driving a lowered car through about a foot of water means that your BF is on the hook for a lot of grovelling and some serious slave time! While he's in the dog house, hand him the toilet bowl brush and other tools to clean the bathroom!

Matt

8. istara

istara New Member

May 21, 2009
    Tucson, AZ
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Fortunately, the bf being an electrical engineer should be helpful with this problem. I probably should have mentioned that the battery was reading at 13+ when the car was running. Thanks for the tip about the IKE and BC.

I'm going to try and call to get info on getting a replacement PS pump today. I have no idea what their policy is on replacing under warranty. Hopefully I stand a chance at still making it to evo school in my own car this weekend, although the STR S2000 that won a trophy at nationals this year I've been offered to co-drive isn't a displeasing alternative.

9. Dr Obnxs

Dr Obnxs New Member

Jun 11, 2009
    A Man of Wit and Charm! (Just ask my wife!)
    Woodside, CA, up in the hills and trees.
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    That's two pieces of good news....

the 13+ when running means that your alternator is doing it's job. Still the load test of the battery is a good idea. Most places will do that for free.

And the S2000 is another piece of good news!

Good luck with the rest.... And keep us posted...

Matt

10. istara

istara New Member

May 21, 2009
    Tucson, AZ
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Alright.. whether or not these pumps last a long time I have to give mad props to BBA-Reman. Not only did they send me a replacement pump free of charge before getting my core, they shipped it out the same day and overnighted it! :eek6: :crazy:

So.. at the moment (assuming the new pump works, naturally) I cannot recommend them enough.

11. istara

istara New Member

May 21, 2009
    Tucson, AZ
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Thank you for this. Looking at my Bentley, the PS pump is also linked to the IKE, so I figured I would wait until I replaced the pump to see if that did away with the other craziness. Turns out, with the new pump in, everything is back to normal :Thumbsup:

I could not possibly be happier with BBA-reman right now considering they overnighted my pump for free, with a shipping label for the core, no less, and now my car is ready to go for Evo school tomorrow.

12. beaner

beaner New Member

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -0
    :Thumbsup: have fun.

13. Joe D

Joe D New Member

Aug 18, 2014
    Electrical Contractor
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    JCW Gauge Install / Electrical Problems

I joined the forum about a month ago and this is my first post. I’ve been troubleshooting some electrical problems that were self-induced and I thought that my experience might be able to help someone else who began a project only to wish that they had not tried to fix something that was not broken.
    My mini is a 2007 S (R56) w/ 50k miles. We have owned it for 4 years and I know the previous own took very good care of it. Until about 2 months ago besides regular maintenance we had only changed the battery once (3/2011) and put on new front brakes. It was mainly driven by my wife as a 2nd car. Her main use, believe it or not, was transportation for our 2 – 150# Great Danes who think that every time the mini is started they get to go for a ride.
    Two months ago on my way to work, all of a sudden the car lost power. Other than the loss of power, everything else ran fine. $3,500 later and a new turbo I was back in business. Two weeks after that I began experiencing overheating and a new thermostat was required. Not a big deal. That’s one of those things that needs to be replace every once and a while on an aging vehicle.
    I live in Arizona where we have just begun to get temperatures less than 100* again. Because of just having replaced the turbo and not wanting to do that again possibly due to an overheating situation, I decided that I needed a gauge instead of an idiot light to get a better feel for how the engine’s cooling system was operating.
    That was about the same time that I started googling the web for what gauges were available and joined the Motoring Alliance – Mini Cooper forum. Despite some warnings and concerned posts, I watched the YouTube video on installing the JCW Gauges and bought the OEM gauges from a Mini dealer online.
    The YouTube video was very helpful for someone who had not taken apart the area around the steering column on a Mini before but overall it was very incomplete where the wiring was concerned. Regardless, I dug right in, got the gauges mounted, the wiring changed and the battery cable reconnected.
    Being ready for lift off, I hit the start button. The wipers were on but initial I thought I may have hit the control lever on the column during the install. But for some reason they would not go off. Along with the wipers here is a list of other electrical problems that I experienced: rear wiper and all wiper fluids did not work, signals went on but had to be turned off manually, steering wheel controls for the stereo and cruise control did not work. I disconnected the new gauges and put everything back the way it was but noticed very little difference in any of the items that I listed.
    After more searching online for Mini Cooper electrical problems, buying the Bentley Service Manual and studying the electrical schematics, I checked all of the fuses and found one 10A fuse (A4010 / F-15) that was blown. Upon replacing the fuse I experienced the following changes to the vehicle: Wipers stopped working and would not turn on, transmission would not shift out of 3rd gear in auto or manual setting, A/C compressor stopped working (fan stayed on), turn signals worked fine, steering wheel stereo controls and cruise controls worked normally. I pulled the fuse and returned to the pervious electrical problems.
    My next step was to go step by step through the gauge wiring diagrams, checking every termination 3-4 times and replacing a couple of pin terminals that I had damaged during the initial installation. I did find a couple of errors I had made in the wiring connections and corrected those. I also took extra time to make sure that the connectors to the footwell module had not bent any of the pins and were seated properly. From some of the threads I have read, the footwell module has been a sensitive area where some people have experienced problems with the connections. Everything on mine looked good even after my rewiring.
    Now with the gauges reconnected and the F-15 / 10 amp fuse still removed I started it up once again. Although I had corrected a couple wiring problems I had found with the gauge wiring I still had the majority of electrical problems and without the F-15 / 10 amp fuse installed the gauges were not functioning. With the fuse installed the gauges did work but I was afraid I might reactivate the issues with the transmission not shifting so I left the fuse out while driving.
    It was finally time for me to give in and find help. I have a shop that specializes in BMW/Minis only that I have been doing business with for 5 years and have a fair amount of trust in them. I was still reserved in wanting to just hand the car over to them in anticipation of another $3-4,000 bill. Some of the threads I had been reading described this exact horror story with a bunch of trial and error change out of components until they get it right. A friend of mine has another BMW/Mini shop that he has done extensive business with and offered to call the Owner to see if he was able to look at my problem and give me a rough guestimate. He said that it sounded like major problems and recommended that I take it to the dealer for their expertise. Now I was sure that my pricing fears were going to be met or exceeded.
    Not wanting to write that check without another try first, I began to consider investing in a diagnostic scanner that might be able to give me some insight into what is causing my problems. Thanks to Amazon, I had a new Autel Maxidas DS802 in my hands in 24 hours. Having no knowledge of what I was doing I read the manual from cover to cover and plugged it in. About 12 error codes later I was at least getting somewhere. Only about 3 of them would erase and stay corrected. This did however correct a couple of the problems that I was experiencing. BTW: I needed to contact Autel during this time and they have one of the best customer service departments that I have every dealt with.
    Now I’m really running short on ideas. But before I give up for real this time I had read that Minis are very sensitive to battery voltage and if your battery is greater than 1 year old and you’re having electrical problems, put a new battery in. Although I was not having any issues with starting, my battery was 3+ years old. WTH, I’ve done everything else so why not change the battery before I take it into a shop.
    In went the new battery and I fired it up. I attached the Autel DS802 and reread the codes. Upon hitting the “quick erase†button and allowing it to cycle through I was able to clear a majority of the error messages. I put in the 10 amp fuse that was left out, reread the codes, erased the errors and what do you know…..everything cleared on the diagnostic scanner, all of my electrical issues were now gone and everything works as it is supposed to, including the new gauges.
    Moral of the story is: if you have electrical problems in a Mini Cooper, unless you are sure of what the problem is, change your battery first. It just might save you a lot of time and a lot of money. The diagnostic scanner was a must have also. Without it I could have never cleared the codes.
    I’m sorry for the long post. I hope some of you are able to make it worth your time reading it.

14. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    First post! Welcome to MA! If you don't know always ask if you need help don't wait..you don't have to do a search, we don't mind answering questions more than once, we will never tell you to search for the answer. We have all done bone headed stuff so don't be shy.

Did you put the JCW gauges back in?