1st Gen R50 Cooper Engine stalling after gas fillup

Discussion in '1st Generation: 2002–06 R50, R53 & 2004–08 R52' started by rkw, Oct 6, 2013.

1. rkw

rkw Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    San Francisco
    Ratings:
    +449 / 0 / -0
    I have a 2006 non-S Cooper convertible with 80K miles and manual transmission. For the past 6 months or so, I've been having an issue where the engine stumbles and sometimes stalls on idle during the first few minutes after filling up.

Typical scenario: I pull into a gas station after driving 30-60 minutes. It has been running fine and of course totally warmed up. I fill up, and pulling out of the gas station, the engine is stumbling at idle. After a few minutes, the engine is fine again.

Just last night, I pulled out of the gas station and the engine stalled while waiting at a red light. Went 100 yards, stopped at another red light and engine stalled again. Went on and engine was fine for the remainder of the trip. Sometimes it stalls while I'm still maneuvering around the gas station, but it always goes back to running fine within a couple of minutes.

Any ideas about what's happening?

2. BRG_Paul

BRG_Paul Active Member

Nov 20, 2011
    Turbomachinery Engineer
    York, PA
    Ratings:
    +184 / 0 / -0
    Clogged gas tank breather?

3. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    I'd think if it was a clogged breather it would happen before the fill up. As the fuel was used it would starve for fuel. Had this happen on another car. If it was that when the cap was opened the pressure would equalize & run fine until it built up pressure again.

Does the tank go woosh when you remove the cap?

4. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    Do you top off the tank or stop filling as soon as the nozzle first shuts off?

5. rkw

rkw Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    San Francisco
    Ratings:
    +449 / 0 / -0
    After the initial shut off, sometimes I squeeze the handle until it clicks again, but I don't make a special effort to top off like pulling the nozzle out partly.

It doesn't whoosh when I take the cap off. Some of my previous cars did that but I haven't noticed it on the MINI. Next time I take the car out, I'll try just opening/closing the cap at the end of the trip and seeing what happens if I restart the car. If it stumbles, it's related to the tank pressure. If it doesn't happen, the problem is caused by something else.

6. Crashton

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    Does you MINI have any codes stored?

7. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    #7 Dave.0, Oct 6, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2013
    I top mine off when I fill up and get every last drop in I can. I know you are not supposed to but I have never had a problem.

It may have to do with the breather but you could also be getting bad or watered down fuel.

Try adding a bottle of Chevron Techtron for a 20 gallon tank and fill you next take with 93 octane fuel from Shell or Sunoco. Maybe you have varnish built up in the fuel system that needs to be cleaned out. It may take 2 or more tanks of 93 and techtron to clean everything up.

It could also be a MAP or T-MAP sensor going bad but try the fuel treatments first since they are the cheapest and you always need fuel.:Thumbsup:

One more thing it could be is an O2 sensor since everything is warmed up and you shut off the car. When the ECU resets the O2 is already warmed up and it's trying to adjust everything which could cause what you are feeling. That did happen to me before and after I checked everything I replaced the O2 everything was right again.

Good luck let us know how you make out.

8. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    Yea, you should never top off as it will damage the carbon canister and it can effect performance.

9. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Never had a problem and have been doing it for 8 years.

10. Crashton

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    Yes if you keep clicking to get to the next even dollar. Letting it click one more time is not going to harm anything. At least that has been my experience. Your mileage may vary. :D

11. rkw

rkw Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    San Francisco
    Ratings:
    +449 / 0 / -0
    I'm embarrassed to admit that after all these years, I still don't have a code reader. This might give me motivation to set up a smartphone app with OBD bluetooth adapter. However, the symptom is simply rough idling that goes away after a couple of minutes with no warning lights, and I'm not sure that would trigger any codes.

Those are interesting ideas. Unfortunately 93 octane is very rare around here and it is far out of my way to obtain it.

12. itsmewutup

itsmewutup New Member

Apr 11, 2012
    Ratings:
    +67 / 0 / -0
    93 is all that goes in my tank. I top off to the nearest $0.50 and never have a problem.

13. rum4

rum4 Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

Aug 17, 2011
    SC
    Ratings:
    +1,478 / 0 / -0
    if no 93 then get the highest grade you can and put it in there.

14. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    I top off too, have not had a problem when doing so. Last fill was darn close to 14 gallons in the supposed 13 gallon tank.

15. TheModFather

TheModFather Well-Known Member

May 15, 2012
    11 years in the ARMY, 2 years of being a multitale
    North Denver CO.
    Ratings:
    +5,322 / 0 / -0
    I've been guilty of adding 14 gallons to the 13 gallon tank as well. No problems with it. However in the Jeep, if you fill it to the top of the neck, you better be burning it off fairly quick... It sets off a gas cap warning, and will keep it on until you shoot the inside of the cap with some WD-40.

16. RallyMini370

RallyMini370 Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2012
    Engineer
    Central America
    Ratings:
    +1,587 / 0 / -0
    Is the tank on the red light close to empty? I used to get something like this with the Subaru. I figured either there was something in the tank or air got sucked up? So I filled up on 1/4 tank to fix the issue.

17. rkw

rkw Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    San Francisco
    Ratings:
    +449 / 0 / -0
    So, I'm finally hopeful for a resolution after suffering with this for months.

The issue was getting much worse. Stalling at idle also began to happen regularly during the first 10 minutes after starting out. It would be usually okay after the engine warmed up. But bizarrely, the worst situation was after filling up. I might have been driving an hour, and then stall several times just trying to pull away from the pump and out of the gas station.

I took it to a respected MINI shop and they identified a major issue with the engine (I'll write about this later). After repairs, the engine runs better than it had in a long time. The idle stalling is almost gone but not completely. However, the stalling after fillup was not affected at all. Without fail, it stalls after filling up and I have trouble for the first few minutes of driving.

I finally had a clue this weekend. The filler cap warning light went on briefly. This could explain the behavior, if the gasket wasn't sealing completely but did seal after enough pressure built up in the tank. I have a replacement cap on order and should receive it by tomorrow. Really, really hoping this simple fix will do it.

18. ZippyNH

ZippyNH Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2010
    Pilot
    Southern NH
    Ratings:
    +688 / 0 / -0
    Hopefully the gas cap does it...
    Kinda wonder if the "purge valve"...not sure the technical name...but it helps to draw a vacuum on the tank is bad...maybe letting fuel get sucked into places it should not be going...the MINI part is $$$..but I remember reading that it is actually a generic part used on MANY cars....just happens to be sold by MINI, but not cross referenced by non-MINI parts places as fitting......
    If the cap does not do it for ya..let me know...I'll look for the lthread over on NAM.

19. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    Hope so! Let us know.

20. rkw

rkw Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    San Francisco
    Ratings:
    +449 / 0 / -0
    Unfortunately, the new gas cap didn't fix it.

In addition to the fill up scenario when it stalls every time, I also have a cold engine scenario during the first 15 minutes where it may stall during idle, but not consistently. It will idle normally for awhile, then the rpm might suddenly dip sharply and the engine may recover by itself or it may stall. It's almost like there was a very brief interruption of fuel.

My repair shop thinks it might be the fuel pump. They plan to hook up a fuel pressure gauge and watch what happens when it stalls.

I guess MINI calls it a "fuel tank breather valve". I'll mention it to the shop.

RealOEM.com * BMW R52 Cooper FUEL TANK BREATHER VALVE

[​IMG]