Epic or Banana Gloss?

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by theCapn, Jun 3, 2009.

Tags:
  1. theCapn

theCapn New Member

May 13, 2009
    Upstate, SC
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Since there was a thread discussing Slick vs Hydro, I figure one talking about Epic vs Banana Gloss would be appropriate.

I have a daily driver that wishes it had a garage to sleep in every night and on the weekends. With that being said, which is better of these two for max protection?

I see that both contain resins, etc, but which do you all prefer/recommend?

Thanks y'all. :D

2. theCapn

theCapn New Member

May 13, 2009
    Upstate, SC
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I may have answered my own question. :eek:

After searching more, I found where the Epic desc. states: "Depending on exposure and environmental conditions, Epic will last 3-6 months." Taken from this link.

3. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    It's my understanding and someone will correct me if I am wrong that one offers the more traditional warm, glossy carnuba wax look and the other has more of that modern poly sealant look.

So basically if you are a wax person you would use ....

and

A Sealant person would use the other.

And if I knew which was which I'd have said so.

Me, I'm a traditionalist. I like that really deep wet gloss that really high quality wax offers.

4. BlimeyCabrio

BlimeyCabrio Oscar Goldman of MINIs
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Professional Facilitator and Alignment Consultant
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    Epic provides a deep, wet gloss... and maximum paint protection... that lasts a LONG time. Banana Gloss provides a little "warmer" glow and makes Epic really POP - even when Epic has been on for months.

Personally, I use Epic twice a year, then top it with BG once every month or two - or before a car show - it's extremely fast and easy to apply, and there is no downside of using it more often if you like.

5. Octaneguy

Octaneguy New Member

Apr 24, 2009
    Dream job
    Anaheim, CA
    Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    Which wax to choose: Epic or Banana Gloss?

Things to consider:

Only BG allows you to apply it on hot paint in direct sunlight.
    Only BG will dry in seconds after application and is ready for removal
    BG offers a warmer look to dark colors.

Epic offers the best durability yet takes time to dry, and requires 24 hours after application for the polymers to crosslink.

Personally I like BG because it's easy and fast, and makes the paint look better without a lot of effort. For paint that needs improvement but can't be polished due to lack of time, or integrity reasons, applying a wax that fills defects is desirable.

I can wash and wax my MINI with BG in about an hour and fifteen minutes with BG.

People need to remember that the way a wax achieves that "warm" glow is merely by adding a tint. Take a photograph and add yellow and it'll look warmer. Knowing that, you have to consider if adding a yellow tint to a pure white car (course not a MINI) is desirable since yellowing of a color usually is a sign of age. On my white MR2, I've got Epic and Hydro not BG for that reason and for my JB MCS, I've got BG.

Richard

6. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    So when do delve into the differences between yellow and white carnuba and how different percentages in the mix offer different results depending on the paint color?

Or how polymers differ from wax...

Now where is that can o' worms icon when ya need it...

7. MINIMaybee

MINIMaybee Club Coordinator

May 4, 2009
    Engineer
    Centennial, CO
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    and for the record Epic is a polymer wax - it does not use any resins. Polymers crosslink as they cure, resins dry but don't crosslink. So for polymer waxes like Epic, curing is the process they go through when turning from a liquid to a solid and exposure to oxygen causes the polymers to link up with other polymer molecules to form chains. These chains have a desire to bond weakly to parallel chains but strongly to other solids.
    Resins waxes like Klasse turn from a liquid to a solid as the solvent flashes leaving behind the acrylic platelets that then adhere to each other and other surfaces. Acrylic resins tend to be very hard but can also be very hard to remove.
    Too geeky?:eek:

Any way to the question at hand I follow the same routine that Blimey gets.

8. TGS91

TGS91 New Member

May 8, 2009
    Sales Dude
    St. Louis, MO
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    In a word ---- Yes:D

9. TGS91

TGS91 New Member

May 8, 2009
    Sales Dude
    St. Louis, MO
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    Guys,

Previous to using Prima I would wash with Dawn to get rid of all wax prior to adding new coat

With Epic 2X yr and BG every 1-2 mo's do you use just a good quality car wash before using the BG?

10. MINIMaybee

May 4, 2009
    Engineer
    Centennial, CO
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    In a word - Mystique!

11. TGS91

TGS91 New Member

May 8, 2009
    Sales Dude
    St. Louis, MO
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    in yet another word - thank you! :)

12. MINIC

MINIC New Member

May 5, 2009
    Oak Park, MI
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Epic 2X a year
    BG every few mths. Easy on/easy off. Next to Slick this is my favorite product from Prima

13. theCapn

theCapn New Member

May 13, 2009
    Upstate, SC
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Not to contradict, but according to this page it does. They may need to update their info.

Too geeky?:eek: Never, oh, hmmm, I guess that makes me a geek. :D

Thanks everyone for the info! I think that I have found my new setup and procedure. I have looked at other products, but none have this complete of a product line and ease of use. :Thumbsup:

14. TGS91

TGS91 New Member

May 8, 2009
    Sales Dude
    St. Louis, MO
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    Side note- I was at my clubs social hour and the topic of detailing came up and I mentioned that I was a Prima-boy and I got a lip curl response from a hardcore Zaino guy....

I've never used Zaino, I hear it is very good and on a par with Prima. As they say opinions are like a-holes, everybody gots one!:)

15. MINIMaybee

May 4, 2009
    Engineer
    Centennial, CO
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    Here's a couple of things about Zaino, and I started detailing using Zaino, that left me wanting something else. First the Zaino line has only one polish (Z-PC). It is a diminishing abrasive like Prima Swirl, but it is slightly less abrasive. Sort of between Swirl and Finish, and as such it takes longer to get imperfections out of the paint using Z-PC then it does Swirl (using the same pad). Second I found the Zaino filler (Z-5) was less able to fill small swirls or to mask deeper scratches then Prima Amigo. This is why their system calls for layering. Finally when it comes to shine Prima Epic brings a depth and wetness to the paint that Zaino Z-2 can't compete with.
    Durability - about the same. Ease of use - about the same.
    I do still use the Z-16 tire dressing since it leaves the most perfect matte finish I have found.

16. TGS91

TGS91 New Member

May 8, 2009
    Sales Dude
    St. Louis, MO
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    Z-16 huh?....I'll have to give it a try

I had just fell in love with Nero for the same reasons you mention above. Have you run them side by side?

17. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    From my understanding and I could be wrong, Nero is for interior use.

18. TGS91

TGS91 New Member

May 8, 2009
    Sales Dude
    St. Louis, MO
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    Bottle states inside/outside and it leaves a really nice matte finish on wheels that has some hold power

19. BlimeyCabrio

BlimeyCabrio Oscar Goldman of MINIs
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Professional Facilitator and Alignment Consultant
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    Yep... I use Nero on tires and exterior trim (between Black Wow applications) and it works well. Not super-long-lasting on the exterior... but certainly lasts from wash-to-wash.

20. MINIMaybee

May 4, 2009
    Engineer
    Centennial, CO
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    I don't use Nero outside since it doesn't last long. I use Z-16 for car shows because its liquid, I don't need to wipe it off and it is matte. It will last at most a week.
    Nero - Interior plastic, 303 Aerospace Protectant - Engine bay, Black WOW - Exterior plastic (monthly), Wizard Black Renew or Z-16 - Exterior plastic (between BW applications) & rubber & seals.