Most liked posts in thread: Ethereal Spirits - Mellow Time

1. Ernesto

Ernesto Club Coordinator

May 16, 2009
    Oracle DBA
    Skokie Ill
    Ratings:
    +680 / 0 / -0
    I had a chance to sample a glass of Johnnie Walker Blue Label this winter..

[​IMG]

It tasted like whisky to me..

2. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    Treated this to myself as a Christmas gift.... Four Peel Gin....

[​IMG]

Made locally just up the street from my shop.... Watershed Distillery....
    These guys are making a name for themselves....:Thumbsup:
    It's nice supporting local talent....:D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. sethat46

sethat46 Well-Known Member

Apr 25, 2012
    Financial Sales
    Ohio
    Ratings:
    +413 / 0 / -0
    I wish… probably could get away with it though.

It's a Caipirinha

4. sethat46

sethat46 Well-Known Member

Apr 25, 2012
    Financial Sales
    Ohio
    Ratings:
    +413 / 0 / -0
    #100 sethat46, Feb 5, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2014
    You want something around the same price range that isn't as easy going down? Try these:
    Lagavulin 16 year
    Ardbeg uigeadail
    Laphraoig 10 year CASK STRENGTH

These are islay malts. Very smokey/peaty flavored. I always say they taste like burnt electrical wires but they are my favorites. However, our bourbon in the U.S. is actually just as good if not better than scotch… as in quality. Many of the scotches you see like Glenlevit add coloring to give it a richer look. Here in the U.S. we have laws against that and many of the scotches coming out of Europe wouldn't pass the quality checks here in America.

Amazing bourbon:
    OYO - my friend did the logo
    Watershed
    Angels Envy - by Buffalo Trace (You cannot find this in many states but it's around $45)
    Eagle Rare - also distilled by Buffalo Trace

Just to name a few. A great buyers guide for anything is… whiskyadvocate.com

5. Friskie

Friskie Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2009
    Highly motivated retiree
    In the here and now, for now.
    Ratings:
    +1,339 / 0 / -0
    This 'quote' is worth sharing IMO. I also think a poll would be interesting to see how many of you agree or disagree with the Congressman. So, here t'is.
    Man's view on whiskey

In 1952, Armon M. Sweat, Jr., a member of the Texas House of Representatives, was asked about his position on whiskey. What follows is his exact answer (taken from the Political Archives of Texas):

"If you mean whiskey, the devil's brew, the poison scourge, the bloody monster that defiles innocence, dethrones reason, destroys the home, creates misery and poverty, yea, literally takes the bread from the mouths of little children; if you mean that evil drink that topples Christian men and women from the pinnacles of righteous and gracious living into the bottomless pit of degradation, shame, despair, helplessness, and hopelessness, then, my friend, I am opposed to it with every fiber of my being.

However, if by whiskey you mean the lubricant of conversation, the philosophic juice, the elixir of life, the liquid that is consumed when good fellows get together, that puts a song in their hearts and the warm glow of contentment in their eyes; if you mean Christmas cheer, the stimulating sip that puts a little spring in the step of an elderly gentleman on a frosty morning; if you mean that drink that enables man to magnify his joy, and to forget life's great tragedies and heartbreaks and sorrow; if you mean that drink the sale of which pours into Texas treasuries untold millions of dollars each year, that provides tender care for our little crippled children, our blind, our deaf, our dumb, our pitifully aged and infirm, to build the finest highways, hospitals, universities, and community colleges in this nation, then my friend, I am absolutely, unequivocally in favor of it.

This is my position, and as always, I refuse to compromise on matters of principle."

6. Friskie

Jul 20, 2009
    Highly motivated retiree
    Ratings:
    +1,339 / 0 / -0
    I will raise a wee dram to this effort. Slainte mhor.

[Guess I'd better identify that of which I speak as other spirits have herein been broached. Whisky is my choice, neat or rarely over ice.]

I've not found one I don't like and would have to harm myself if forced to choose a favorite as each has it's own place in the daily routines of life. A small handful whose reputation preceeds will remain untouched however.

There is also a growing stable of small batch bourbons in my closet as well. A couple of newly discovered treats are Buffalo Trace and Bulleit.

7. Rae

Rae Club Coordinator

Oct 14, 2010
    teacher for severely/multiply disabled students
    Oregon
    Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    So does Laphroaig not taste like dirty gym socks and vomit? Because all the scotch I've ever tried does. J's fav-o-rite distilled beverage is 3 Olives cherry vodka. Me, I prefer Crater Lake Gin - small batch local distillery. But G&Ts are really a Summer drink and mostly I'd rather have wine :yesnod:
    My Mom likes Whiskey River bourbon neat.

8. Steve

Steve Administrator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator

Apr 23, 2009
    Maryland, USA
    Ratings:
    +3,166 / 0 / -0
    I'm shocked! I found a spiced rum I actually like!

Cruzan 9
    [​IMG]

9. Steve

Steve Administrator

Apr 23, 2009
    Maryland, USA
    Ratings:
    +3,166 / 0 / -0
    I hope this isn't going to turn into a discussion about which rum or whatever is best for donut dunking ... :skep:

10. Steve

Steve Administrator

Apr 23, 2009
    Maryland, USA
    Ratings:
    +3,166 / 0 / -0
    Only posting this because it fits the topic. It should come as no surprise that the Top Gear cast are fans of drink...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDAwPfh_62s]Jeremy's Drinks Cabinet - Top Gear Outtakes - BBC - YouTube[/ame]

11. Metalman

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    Tito's Handmade Vodka....

I'm pretty excited about trying Tito's....
    Made from yellow corn instead of the more common wheat or potatoes...
    Micro-distilled 6 times... Has really gotten good reviews....
    Made in Austin Texas.... That's still a part of the USA, right... Yeah, I think so...:D

[​IMG]

12. Metalman

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    Been making Gin and Tonics lately.... Very refreshing...

Found a fantastic small batch tonic made by Jack Rudy Cocktail Co.. Jack Rudy Cocktail Co.

Handcrafted in the South...

Jack Rudy sounds like a real character...

“Jack Rudy was many things. He was a pilot who illegally flew his plane under the Ohio River Bridge (on a dare), an inventor who created a mechanical device for pharmacists to count pills, and a craftsman who once built a houseboat out of an old city bus. After serving as an aircraft mechanic in WWII, he spent his working life as an engineer. He read Popular Mechanics and National Geographic cover to cover – a curious type who made his own bullets, and shot them into a dirt wall he constructed in his basement. In addition to being a ‘marvelous’ dancer, he LOVED to entertain and was known to overindulge in drink, smoke, and his wife’s gourmet cooking.â€

In a collins glass combine....
    2 oz. of your favorite gin...
    .75 oz. of Jack Rudy tonic...
    Add ice, top with 4 oz. of soda water...
    Stir and drink.... Yummy....:D

[​IMG]

13. papa-j

papa-j Active Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Mar 15, 2010
    (Retired) EHS & Quality Systems
    Minneapolis, MN
    Ratings:
    +112 / 0 / -0
    I have enjoyed this Redbreast Irish whiskey during some winter cold & quiet time.

Attached Files:

14. Friskie

Jul 20, 2009
    Highly motivated retiree
    Ratings:
    +1,339 / 0 / -0
    I think I mentioned a few pages back but another really good sippin' rum is Mount Gay Eclipse. Careful of that one though, you can taste the calories.

15. Friskie

Jul 20, 2009
    Highly motivated retiree
    Ratings:
    +1,339 / 0 / -0
    Not distilled spirits, but I drove to a new friend's house to give him a ride on our way to celebrate Robert Burns birthday this evening and he offered me a quick sip of his latest creation. He had just kegged a fresh brew, a robust soft on the tongue Porter with elegant chocolate caramel after tones and drew me a glass from his dedicated fridge. He had a pipe chanter fitted for the tap lever, gotta love that. I've got to cultivate this friendship very carefully.

16. Metalman

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    Absinthe

There is some very beautiful artwork produced at the time Absinthe was popular..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A little background.....

17. KittyMini

KittyMini Club Coordinator

Jun 24, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,183 / 0 / -0
    1. I read that as "refreshing beverage AT work".

2. Looks like a proper margarita?

18. Onramp

Onramp Enjoy the Hiways of Life!
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Retired, mostly
    Renton, WA
    Ratings:
    +57 / 0 / -0
    I discovered a Canadian Whiskey made called Pendleton made by the Hood River Distillery in Oregon. Haven't quite figured out how that works, but not too expensive and I like it neat (out of the freezer).

My expensive hooch is the 12 year Balvenie Doublewood Scotch. The second "wood" is sherry casks. Problem with this one is it goes down too easy (especially sitting by an outdoor fire in the winter smoking stogies of some sort). Next day is never good...

19. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    Looks like there aren't a lot of imbibers here.....

Unfortunately, I never acquired the taste for alcohol of any kind.

20. lotsie

lotsie Club Coordinator

May 5, 2009
    stagehand/part time detailer
    Right here
    Ratings:
    +401 / 0 / -0
    Well besides what we can't mention in this thread, I like Tequila, and it takes no arm twisting for me to partake even in poorly made Mojitos.

Mark