Suspension Brakes 1st Gen Ever used a correct inner ball joint tool?

Discussion in 'Tuning and Performance' started by Dennis Bratland, Nov 7, 2016.

1. Dennis Bratland

Dennis Bratland New Member

Aug 28, 2016
    Stay at home dad
    Ballard, Seattle
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    #1 Dennis Bratland, Nov 7, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2016
    Has anyone ever used BMW tool 312240 or an equivalent to separate the inner ball joints on an R50/53? Not just a pickle fork, not unbolting the ball joint from the subrame. They want you to disassemble the tool, and put it back together inside the control arm.

A typical hinged style like an OTC 6297 isn't going to come apart to fit inside the hole in the control arm. Tools with a wrist pin kind of design like a Sealey AK3811 or the Baum Tools B312240KPLUS kit will unscrew and fit inside the hole in the control arm, but their jaws aren't long enough to reach the ball joint. BMW 312240 has a jaw/fork that extend an inch longer than standard tools, from what I can tell.

I realize there's other ways to do this, but I'm wondering if anyone has actually done it the way they say, using the a tool like 312240, or even the mythical special tool itself.

2. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    Are you trying to change the ball joint in the car? Cause I think you have to drop the subframe (at least some) to remove that ball joint. Have you done the lower control arm bushings too? if not drop the subframe and do them all at once....then you can use a regular ball joint separator similar to that one but you can buy them at Harbor Freight for $20 or less, or borrow one from you local parts store.

3. Dennis Bratland

Dennis Bratland New Member

Aug 28, 2016
    Stay at home dad
    Ballard, Seattle
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Nope, not trying to do anything. Already done.

I've done this a few different ways, and I've tried a few different styles of ball joint separators, and none of them work the way the BMW tool supposedly would. Last time, I tried a tool that is very close to the BMW design, but as I said, the jaws are too short, so I just took the ball joint off the subframe and separated the control arm off the car.

My only question now is only whether or not anyone has ever done it themselves the official way with the official tool, or a tool that is close enough to work the same. I'm wondering if such a tool even exists, or ever existed.

4. Steve

Steve Administrator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator

Apr 23, 2009
    Maryland, USA
    Ratings:
    +3,166 / 0 / -0
    Not me. I, also, made due with one of those cheapo separators.

5. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    The only times I've replaced the inner ball joints I've done all the others at the same time, along with the control arm bushings, so I just drop the subframe. It's a little more work but it makes the job a lot easier......

And I have a Harbor Freight style separator that I bought about 30 years ago, still works great.