2nd Gen JCW Evolve Cracking the R56 JCW ECU

Discussion in '2nd Generation: 2007+ R55 through R61' started by Metalman, Jan 14, 2011.

1. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
  2. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Ahh, but the US ECU is different from the rest of the known world from what I understand. I could be wrong, I was once before.

3. Metalman

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    I believe you are correct Nathan. That's why the effort Mike @ Mynes is doing with the Bytetronik, I hope moves over to the R56 as well.

4. mike@MynesTuned

mike@MynesTuned New Member

May 16, 2009
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    that's a lot of 'hollywood' in that video LOL. I see that they are using the CMD software (very similar to Dimsport) and the price tag is very similar also :D

The net result of the tune is within the range of 20 to 25whp increase with a slightly higher boost pressure.

When the Bytetronik FA56 comes out, it's going to have similar configuration and features as the FA53 at a slightly higher price level - but it won't be anywhere close to the CMD/Dimsport price level (those tools are designed primarily for shops).

5. BigShow

BigShow New Member

Apr 5, 2010
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    We've been running the evolve map for some time along with their de-cat down pipe, exhaust & FMIC. I believe their evolve-r cable is now available worldwide too so worth getting in touch with them.

As for our experience with evolve, well here it is. As some of you might know, we (myself and Jove from MiniTorque) have had a bit of experience with modifying MINI's. We've had three R53's with 220whp, 236whp and 242whp and last year we came 2nd in the Time Attack championship (FWD class) in the UK and ran a 13.1@108mph at the strip with street tyres and without resorting to NOS. So it was with some trepidation that we decided to move away from the R53 which we knew very well and into the world of R56's. Therefore we spent a long time looking around for a company that could help us get our new R56 to just where we wanted it in in just a few short months and that's when we found evolve.

These guys tune cars worth many times the value of ours from E92 M3 V8 supercharged conversions to V10 M5's so their ECU tuning has to stand up to some very fastidious owners. But the key decision that helped us choose evolve was the fact they'd bought an R56 themselves to modify and batter the s**t out of on the drag strip and on track. Only after they were 100% satisfied that their tune/products could stand up to what their customers might want, fast road or track/drag, would they release the items for sale. Items such as the tunes, down pipes with decat or cat, cat back exhaust, hybrid turbo and CAI.

So far this year we've run our new R56 on road, at the strip and in Time Attack and last Monday put in nearly 40 laps at Bedford Autodrome for the 'How Fast' event and to date its NEVER missed a beat and no CEL lights either!

We've still got a long way to go with ours, as this time we started with looks, handling and stopping before upping the power, but next is cams, heads and hybrid turbo :Thumbsup:

I can't recommended evolve highly enough, but if you're still not convinced, you can read up on them here:

T33M MT R56 Cooper S: Power Ranger 2.0

evolve project MINI: evolve MINI R56 Cooper S

evolve car magazine reviews: Press

6. jiminni

jiminni Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    Ca.
    Ratings:
    +262 / 0 / -0
    My car is worth a lot to me :cool: Good links there but......as some other groups on this forum say " why do we have to go somewhere else to get information?" Can we get some highlights right here? Prices? Legality?

Thx :Thumbsup:

7. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Big Show...

Thanks for popping over and sharing

8. Metalman

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    Yeah Big Show.... Thanks...:D

Next time you pop over could you bring me one of those down pipes in your carryon luggage, looks like some nice work there?.....:Thumbsup: