Exedy Clutch Problem

Discussion in 'MINI' started by mini9940, Dec 18, 2011.

1. mini9940

mini9940 New Member

Apr 27, 2010
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi guys,i have installed a exedy clutch kit with flywheel together with a quaife lsd on OCT -DEC 2010,last weekend we had a national car show here in Malta and the day before i have noticed a slightly slip on third gear to make it short the following day the slip went on 2nd gear and finally on first having to tow my mini to the garage ,had the clutch taken out and couldnt belive my eyes,it was burnt the only thing that was left is metal,Have you ever experianced something similar?????:confused:,any help.this cost me 1150 euros to purchase:cryin::mad5:

2. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    What year is the MINI please.

3. k-huevo

k-huevo Club Coordinator

May 6, 2009
    Pipe Creek, Texas
    Ratings:
    +159 / 0 / -0
    OEM single mass replacement or Hyper Single lightweight clutch? Can you share a photo of the wear?

4. KC Jr 54

KC Jr 54 New Member

Jun 3, 2009
    Machine Operator
    Tyler, TX
    Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    Keith, what is your opinion of the Exedy Super single ?

I am also very interested in this subject even given my circumstances.

To the OP was this in a just-a or a MCS, and what year car as Nathan had already asked.

5. BLOWN MINI

BLOWN MINI New Member

Feb 11, 2011
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Definate problem, that is too unusual for an Exedy clutch, especially after one year, unless you are absolutely dogging the crap out of it every weekend.

6. pfspeeddemon

pfspeeddemon New Member

Nov 28, 2011
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    #6 pfspeeddemon, Jan 22, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2012
    Hi mini9940 from another Maltese Mini owner !:wink:

Sorry to hear of your predicament. What was the condition of your flywheel before you had the new clutch kit assembled ? If you used the old one and it wasn't in a good condition (scored and/or warped by heat damage) without having it skimmed or replaced then you can kiss your new clutch kit goodbye ! This exactly is what happened on my other car (an S2000)...just because I wasn't present to see the works, the Honda mechanics assembled a new organic competion clutch I personally provided them with to the original flyweel which was warped due to heat damage and I had judder immediately which I complained about and which they told me would settle down after some miles...well it didn't and in 3 weeks time the clutch was fried to the same point as yours ! I now have a stock clutch (tal-qamel) but with a new flywheel...no judder but you can't really trash it as it's stock clutch doesn't take punishment well.